Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Re: Lets show each other some respect.

@ Jinnah, I have found in belonging to several other forums, that there will a few other members who feel it is necessary to post on every thread.  Even if they have nothing to add or just to make, what they perceive is a funny comment.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have thousands and thousands of post in the short period of time the NC has been out.  And you will have other members that feel the board belongs to them and if they didn't give advise, everyone would be like lost little puppies and the forum would close down.

I'll just leave you something I learned back in the sixties......"everyone has their own kick going, and it's not up to me to knock it"...

And remember, "You can't soar with Eagles if you let the turkeys hold you down"!!!  So, please hang around and enjoy this forum.:smileywink:

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

deemure wrote:

For the information of those on here that seem determined to misunderstand, Nallia is one of the most helpful, considerate people on this forum.  You might disagree with me, because I tend to be impertinent and seemingly rude in other's eyes, but Nallia is not.

Unfortunately, people often try to read into what other people are saying.  This does no one any service.  I urge you all to read Desiderata and take a chill pill. 

Nallia, if you still are around I do hope your son is doing well.  Hope the wedding is fantastic and that you get some down time.  You are one person that makes this forum a great place.  Anyone that can't see either of those 2 points really has a pessimistic view of things, IMO.

And, by the way I am certain there have been many times Nallia and I have disagreed and I am a huge offender.  She is not.

Respect is a two way street.

Aww, you're very sweet, thank you.  You aren't the horrible, rude person you think you are.  You are a highly intelligent, caring individual who is just not afraid to say what she thinks.  I don't put trolls on my friends list.  :smileywink:

I'm not upset by anything that's transpired here.  It takes a heck of a lot more than a tiny misunderstanding for that, as you already know.  :smileyhappy:  I've just been really frazzled this week and am suffering from a serious case of "ditzies."  I am forgetful, flakey, and can't seem to keep a coherent thought in my head.  And I'm struggling between feeling like an awkward 14 year old and the awesome, 38 year old woman that I am.  Just par for the course when around my family.  :smileyvery-happy:

All of that to say that I know I'm not at my best and may be having some issues exolaining myself well to people who don't already know me well enough to infer my meanings.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Derwin wrote:

Well, I've launched several online communities over the years, and maintaining civility has always been a struggle. I've done my share of "banning" people in forums that I owned, and I've had to delete and/or alter several posts over the years. But if there is civility in any online community, it usually only comes from a few people that have been deemed "trolls". These people just like to stir up trouble at every turn, and enjoy sitting back and watch the flames burn. I've always handled it by handing out warnings, and then eventually banning them if it continued. I've also began threads (as the owner of many forums) where I would remind people to be civil and respect each other. As another member already stated... this is an OPEN forum with new people (such as myself) logging on every day. Some may get become accustomed to the crude remarks of a few members, and not see them as being offensive, but in an open community we shouldn't really act in a way that we wouldn't act if among strangers at a library or other gathering place. Just my opinion.

Some of these same "Stir it up" people are helpful and courteous most of the time. (I may be 50/50 on that scale) nevermore stated Get to know the people on the forum. Even the ones that get a little harsh sometimes contribute more good then bad

New users come here see a post they dont like and start goin off. Take the time read the whole thread so the intent and or context is clear. If you still dont like it cool, your intitled to an opinion too. and by all means post it. just be prepared to defend it. thats all.

I dont believe some of these angry hurt posters even read the whole"New survey" thread. 

I just did. Sheesh some of ya'll call me a troll???  **I will make you cringe from time to time, just ask nalia... :smileytongue:

Most important to remember, this is the internet, dont take it so serious.

Now if the damn update would come out we could go back to bangin or heads on the desk lookin for answers to the,sure to be many questions that will follow.  :smileyvery-happy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

dparrothead1 wrote:

@ Jinnah, I have found in belonging to several other forums, that there will a few other members who feel it is necessary to post on every thread.  Even if they have nothing to add or just to make, what they perceive is a funny comment.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have thousands and thousands of post in the short period of time the NC has been out.  And you will have other members that feel the board belongs to them and if they didn't give advise, everyone would be like lost little puppies and the forum would close down.

I'll just leave you something I learned back in the sixties......"everyone has their own kick going, and it's not up to me to knock it"...

And remember, "You can't soar with Eagles if you let the turkeys hold you down"!!!  So, please hang around and enjoy this forum.:smileywink:

FYI - The post count is for all the BN boards - not just this board/group.  And yes, some people do feel the need to post no matter what whether it is relevant or not (this is not directed at anyone specific - I'm just saying in general).

Wordsmith
melouria

This is what the original OP said:  "I am just wondering, how many of us have Bibles on our NC and how much time do we spend reading God's Word? Surely time isn't an issue."

Many of you keep saying that the OP asked a simple question of the bible's functionality on the NC.   I don't know how you get that from the original post.  Yes, later in the thread she does clarify but that is not how the thread began.   I just wanted to clarify that. 

Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved

The problem is that it's a big turn off for me when a forum is dedicated to one topic and next thing you know it's full of nothing but debates and arguments about topic that have nothing to do with the forum.

Everyone is a tough guy behind a keyboard btw. and no one is ever as clever, funny or entertaining as they think they are. I think a lot of what's posted here is simply the posters attempt to amuse themselves at the expense of others. Can we please for the love of God, spagetti noodles, or whatever the hell you belive or don't believe in get that damn update now?!

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244

akaCat wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

... a cut above the general population in terms of sohpistication and maturity.

I was wrong.

Everyone is stirred up waiting for the update. The longer we wait, the goofier the place gets. And there's really no stopping it until the update comes out.

Upon reflection, I think you are right.  The immaturity we've all seen here regarding respecting other's opinions (not to mention trolling), pales in comparison to those who are upset because the update isn't out yet.  Can you spell entitlement ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

phoneboy.... I am NEW to this forum, since I just purchased and received my NookColor. I came here to find out about the update, as well as to find out about all of the features of this device. I was surprised, though, when I began clicking on threads and began reading some of the posts. Listen, I don't know you, and you don't know me. We are complete strangers. The only way I have to judge a person is by what they post and what I read. But, yes, forums are indeed a place where the written word can be totally and completely misinterpreted. This happens every day of the week in forums all across the internet. Fights and squables happen all the time in forums for this very reason. But there are also people that exist that purposely attempt to "flame" people for their own enjoyment. I have no idea if you are one of these people or not. I hope not. I have a feeling I'll find out as I spend more time in this forum. You may very well be a really great guy! I hope this is the case. After all, we are here to talk about this incredible device and help each other with new insights and information related to it. I look forward to logging on and both gleaning information as well as hopefully contributing information to this forum.

ImmortalBeloved stated:

"Everyone is a tough guy behind a keyboard btw. and no one is ever as clever, funny or entertaining as they think they are. I think a lot of what's posted here is simply the posters attempt to amuse themselves at the expense of others."

Regretfully, this is all too true.

"Can we please for the love of God, spagetti noodles, or whatever the hell you belive or don't believe in get that damn update now?!"

Amen to that! LOL

deemure

phoneboy routinely tries to help all he can which is the sign of someone decent in my opinion.  He also routinely cracks us up with smileys and comments (sometimes a bit off color) and humor is an abiding quality.

It is the greatness of character that is reflected in a person that can have a marked, impassioned disagreement with someone, walk away leaving them still standing with dignity intact, and come back and again enter into civil discourse and even be an aid to one another.  The alternative is an appeal to our baser natures that says that things must by nature divide us and forever more separate us as if we are mortal enemies.  Life is too short, often painful, certainly unfair ultimately in that just when you have finally reached a compromise with it and are at peace with the adversity you have faced, it begins to slip from your grasp.  If we are not in this together than what is all that for?

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Welcome to the NookNation derwin...:smileyhappy:

Not really a "flamer"..is there such a thing as a "sparker"?   :smileytongue:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin

"NookNation".... I like it! And THANK YOU for the welcome.

My nickname for you henceforth, phoneboy, will be "sparker"... LOL