Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Jinnah

Lets show each other some respect.

I don't understand all the religious insults/Christian bashing that's been going on lately.  What is going on here?  This is a forum to talk about the NC and reading material, not to insult each others religious beliefs.  I won't name names, but a certain poster admitted that it was known that said persons comments might start something.  Then said person apologized, but continued on in another thread (along with several others).

It has been said that these comments should not bother the believer, but that just doesn't make sense.  Think about someone insulting your loved one... a child, spouse, parent, sibling, etc.  You can say it doesn't matter what that person says, and it doesn't, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to upset or offend you.  That doesn't mean it's not a slap in the face.

Also, I bet so many people (who "lurk") have been turned off of the B&N website.  I know I am put off by it, and I have been around for awhile.  If I was new here, and saw these threads, I wouldn't even bother registering.  Let's just respect each other, and keep the negative comments to ourselves.  I can't imagine anyone who posts the rude comments saying these things to someone in person, so lets not do it here, either.

Those of you who don't like what I'm saying can start attacking me, and that's fine, but there is no point in doing so. 

Inspired Correspondent
Panzertime

Re: Lets show each other some respect.

Why you low down dirty rotten rat fink of a person! How dare you! :smileywink: You are supposed to check you nicey nice attitude at the door! Let all lurkers beware! We will beat you down!:smileysurprised: There will be no feelings on this forum. You are not allowed to have your opinion! We will tell you what opinion to have. Then we will tell you where to take and shove said opinion. :smileymad: (How am I doing?)  Oh, and another thing! You have to post hate messages about how slow the update is! If you can't do that and follow along you don't belong here! :smileytongue: (I have them on the ropes now.) The audacity! Trying to make peace. What are you thinking!

Whew, How did I do? :smileyvery-happy: Was that suitably harsh? Ha ha..

I must admit that I am turned off any thread that turns into bashing.

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder

Jinnah wrote:

I don't understand all the religious insults/Christian bashing that's been going on lately.  What is going on here?  This is a forum to talk about the NC and reading material, not to insult each others religious beliefs.  I won't name names, but a certain poster admitted that it was known that said persons comments might start something.  Then said person apologized, but continued on in another thread (along with several others).

It has been said that these comments should not bother the believer, but that just doesn't make sense.  Think about someone insulting your loved one... a child, spouse, parent, sibling, etc.  You can say it doesn't matter what that person says, and it doesn't, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to upset or offend you.  That doesn't mean it's not a slap in the face.

Also, I bet so many people (who "lurk") have been turned off of the B&N website.  I know I am put off by it, and I have been around for awhile.  If I was new here, and saw these threads, I wouldn't even bother registering.  Let's just respect each other, and keep the negative comments to ourselves.  I can't imagine anyone who posts the rude comments saying these things to someone in person, so lets not do it here, either.

Those of you who don't like what I'm saying can start attacking me, and that's fine, but there is no point in doing so. 

I agree with what you said, I admit to stirring it in another post. My problem was and is, that some just felt the need to continue with the insults even it was painfully obvious that the time had come to let the thread die a natural death. I have a son who is disabled and has been the target of ridicule, I have zero toleration fo rthose who choose to ridicule others because of their looks, beliefs or anything else. Some do not realize that an attack on religion is a very personal and very hurtful.

I have the feeling that like you say most would not say the same things in the presence of others. I know for a fact that no one has ever personally attacked my beliefs to my face, but they also know they would probably not walk away unscathed. Internet forums have become a place where cowards can anonymously have a say and know it can be done with out any recourse for the most part.

I do now, and always will, stand up for those who I feel have been personally attacked, especially when unprovoked. Freedom to practice religion freely should be respected by others. I have stated that i do not go to church, but I do believe, and that it is my decision. I spent 17 months in combat and fought for the rights for all to have the freedom to speak, but with that freedom comes responsibility. I do not bash others shortcomings on this board, and judging by some of the posts it would be very easy, but the right thing to do is to leave it alone and show some respect for others feelings and beliefs.

If you have something to say to me, say it to me, be a an adult about it, if you would not dare say it to my face, don't say it hiding behind your computer keyboard. If I post something here, I would say the same thing to your face, anytime, and anywhere.

That is all I am going to say on this matter, you can talk until you are blue in the face, and some will just never get it. But you are right, a little respect and courtesy is in order here.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Here's an idea. If you post something contrivesial be prepared to deal with it. If you don't like the tone or direction a thread takes, ignore it. None of the threads are one sided. Sure one comment mite start it up but both sides contribute. Some are harsher then others but thats what you get on a OPEN forum. If you feel that people are ganging up, well that's probably because they share similar opinions on the topic. Same goes for the humor. Just cause some don't find it to be funny does not mean it should be banned. Everyone is free to say what they want and everyone is free to reply. I think PCness is BS. Its the internet. Anyone of us can choose were we surf(except the parents that can't get past the parental controls they set up,all they need do is ask any 10 yr old for help lol) this is a great site. Lots of help here. The rants and the arguements make it interesting. As always. JMHO
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

Jinnah and niteryder, well said!
Distinguished Correspondent
Chubby8055

[ Edited ]

Until technology provides a way to be able to "touch" someone over the net, their will always be internet tough guys.

Internet Tough Guys = Small Dog who agressively barks while hiding under the Sofa.

But of course when this technology is available there will be much better things we can do on the net then deal with the self inflated Epeens on the net. :smileyhappy:
Chubbs

phoneboy

Chubby8055 wrote:

Until technology provides a way to be able to "touch" someone over the net, their will always be internet tough guys.

Internet Tough Guys = Small Dog who agressively barks while hiding under the Sofa.

But of course when this technology is available there will be much better things we can do on the net then deal with the self inflated Epeens on the net. :smileyhappy:
Chubbs

LOL.. Doesn't apply here but it is funny. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

Phooey -

No one can make you feel bad unless you allow them too. 

If you're going to sit there and stew all day long over what someone on the internet said, you

need a hobby.

phoneboy

One of my hobbies is making people on the internet feel bad.....Hey it beats pullin the wings off flies.. :smileytongue:

Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3
0 Kudos

Welcome to the internet, sadly such is the nature of the beast. No matter what forum you go on you will find a post almost identical to this. 

I have found if the agressor is just ignored, they eventually clean up their act or go away. 

The key is to not constantly give them ammunition to keep going,

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Wild_images wrote:

Phooey -

No one can make you feel bad unless you allow them too. 

If you're going to sit there and stew all day long over what someone on the internet said, you

need a hobby.

Bingo.  We have a winner! 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

I don't think anyone is "stewing." It's just so boring and tiring to see these political and religious rants on forums that are devoted to a completely different topic.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

And if these boards were administered, those threads would have been moved to the off-topic playrooms long ago. 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Riffrafff, Exactly!
phoneboy

schatzieWI wrote:
I don't think anyone is "stewing." It's just so boring and tiring to see these political and religious rants on forums that are devoted to a completely different topic.

Almost 3000 threads on the general discussion forum alone. Each one of us is free to contribute to or ignore any of them...just sayin   :smileywink:

phoneboy
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

And if these boards were administered, those threads would have been moved to the off-topic playrooms long ago. 

General discussion...Definitions may vary. ( I know Nook color and all that)  Most forums I have been on have a anything goes forum. Thats usually the one that gets the most traffic.

The Tech support forum on here avg 45mins (# pulled outta my a$$) btwn replys. Maybe the questions should be moved there and leave the GD forum for General discussion.

Even Internet bullies need a place to call home...sniff sniff

**I'll add, Mods have opinions just like everyone else. Thats why most moderated forums have 0 tolerance rules. That IMO sucks worse then each of us having the CHOICE of which discussions we participate in.**

JMHO

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1

[ Edited ]

Since registering to this site, I have read a few threads that were bashing someone, something someone said, or something that might have gotten my dander up a bit, if I allowed it. I try not to engage in those threads as it just adds fuel to the fire and keeps the thread going.

We all have our opinions, an even though some should keep them to their selves, they have freedom of speech just as much as we do. Even if its something that you disagree with or offends you. Unless you want to get into an all out word battle with the person, it is just best to not engage.

I understand the need to defend ones self, & beliefs and that is your right as well, but don't get upset or mad when the bashing continues.

If we all saw eye to eye the world would be kinda boring.

JMO

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

Contributing to a discussion is one thing, gang jumping and ridiculing a poster that has a different view is another. Please don't take this as a personal attack against you. That is not what I am trying to say. If people were sitting at a table next to you discussing a religious or political book, would you feel justified in interrupting their conversation to express your distaste for the subject? I think not. Just because we are on the internet doesn't mean we should abandon our consideration of our fellow man's opinions.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

phoneboy wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

General discussion...Definitions may vary. ( I know Nook color and all that)  Most forums I have been on have a anything goes forum. Thats usually the one that gets the most traffic.

The Tech support forum on here avg 45mins (# pulled outta my a$$) btwn replys. Maybe the questions should be moved there and leave the GD forum for General discussion.

Even Internet bullies need a place to call home...sniff sniff

**I'll add, Mods have opinions just like everyone else. Thats why most moderated forums have 0 tolerance rules. That IMO sucks worse then each of us having the CHOICE of which discussions we participate in.**

JMHO

And your last line was not what I was suggesting.  All the large boards I'm a member of have a designated place for politics and religiosity discussions.  This one does not. That's fine, but at least give us the option to hide a thread.  Otherwise...I...just...can't...help...myself.   Must...click...link.  Flesh...weak.    :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Frequent Contributor
thundersnow528

Hello all - first time poster.  Love this place - it's full of funny.  And I can't wait to get back to reading the general-panic-posts about the eventual update.

I wonder if the issue here really is about following some general etiquette and relevancy guidelines for these boards.  Not that I would want to remove the fun energy and spontaneity of what is happening here with everyone - that would be a shame.  But maybe we could all channel a little of Emily Post from time to time as we add things to the message threads? 

Going back to the original post that I think may have started this particular flare up (correct me if I'm wrong), the poster asked a simple question on whether people had bibles on their Nooks, and which one they find the best for reading and/or working on.  It wasn't phrased as "What do people think of the bible and the literary significance of the text."  If it was intended to proselytize, it was limited to just anyone reading that particular thread - it wasn't an entire-community-cross-posting.

Don't get me wrong - I can be a b*stard of a board-poster when the mood strikes, and in this case I could have hit hard, personally not being a fan at all of organized religion.  But really, that wasn't what the post was about.  I started reading it, saw it didn't really apply to me, then moved on.  Not every message thread has to have my opinion attached to it.  Not every message thread needs to be my personal soapbox.  Why disrupt a discussion others are having just for the sake of making a joke or zinging another person with the intention to hurt, make foolish, or try to condescend to? Maybe we all need that extra mental step of saying: "Am what I'm about the add here actually relevant to the thread, or am I typing just to hear myself type?"  or "Is this relevant to this particular thread, or should I start a new one?"

If the question had been "What do people think of the bible and the historical impact it had on western culture?" you better believe I'd have been getting up on my interweb soapbox.....  BUT that wasn't how it started, was it?  Looking back at that original post, it was a simple discussion about which bible people liked on their nook, then suddenly it was someone who was not being at all subtle in their personal feelings about the document piping in, followed by others were insenstive to the idea that the original posters may have felt attacked simply for bringing up a subject they felt pasisonate about.  Let's not fool ourselves about what really happened here.  If I had started a post saying "What gay and lesbian books do you have on your nook?" and someone responded with "God does not look highly on dandies and all the 'books' they write", can we agree it might have been insensitive?  I might have been hurtful?   Why is it hard to see it the other way for this particular non-political, not-trying-start-anything-bible post?

Again - I'll be happy to be a total bastard in the future with subjects on a thread if it's relevant and presses one of my morality buttons, but to add something just to hear myself talk and disrupt others....?  Maybe not so much.

Now can we get back to freaking out about the update?  Since people have argued about politics and religion here lately, I'd like to start a rumor that somehow relates the update to the other taboo subject for many - sex.  "I think B&N hasn't released the update because it is secretly a member some weird sexual cult that believes we should all go back to writing on cave walls rather than be on the internet....."

....aaaaaaand discuss.