Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
JillMcD
0 Kudos

Life after autonooter...what are your MUST HAVE Apps?

So I finally took the plunge last night and used autonooter so I now have the Android Marketplace.  I have an Android phone so already have some favorite apps, but was wondering what Apps you all thought were "Must Have" on your Nook Color?

NookColor - CM7 Custom ROM

Correspondent
crenita
0 Kudos

Re: Life after autonooter...what are your MUST HAVE Apps?

Google Voice  for FREE text messages

K-9 mail .. better email handling for all your accounts.

Draw and Shake just for FUn.. etch a sketch for all of us kid's

dropbox.. for easy sharing of photos and files between computer and all devices.

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

Pulse is a really cool news app that really benefits from the nook's screen space compared to a phone.

Comics: jjComics & Comixology (Alternates: Perfectviewer, ACV)

ezPDF: DESTROYS the default pdf reader.

Contributor
HoneyWitSpice
0 Kudos

Angry Birds, Jorte calendar app, Titanium Pro (to backup/restore apps), Beautiful Widgets, Desktop Visualizer (customize homescreens), Colornote (desktop stickys and alarms), Kindle, Kobo, Aldiko, Audible, Dolphin Browser, Google Earth, etc, etc, etc....The list is endless...Welcome to the darkside!!!!!

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ADW Launcher: or some other launcher. Nice for many reasons, but one important one: applsications you download from the Market will show up immediately in teh launcher's application drawer, whereas you'll need to reboot your NC before these apps show up in the standard Nook "Extras" drawer.

Astro File manager: perform file managment (including deleting files) directly on the Nook Color, without the need for connecting to a computer.

Root Explorer: Like Astro File Manager, but more roust. With this package you can delete system stuff that will mess up your Nook.

Maps: Google maps, on your Nook Color.

Google Sky: A star map, including constellations and planets.

The Weather Channel: instant video forecast, at your fingertips.

IPCONFIG, Ping & DNS: two applications that provide network data.

Opera Mobile: A web browser that is as fluid and fast as Safari on an iPad. Simply amazing.

Zebra Paint: if you've got young children they will absolutely LOVE this free coloring book.

Those should get you started.

Games: the Nook Color is amazingly competent for gaming, even full-screen 3D games. Everyone's tastes vary here, so I won't list my personal faves. Just know that there are more games to choose from than you'll know what to do with.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Calendar.*

Opera Mail.

QuickPic.

Adao File Manager.

Note Everything.

Email/Gmail.*

:smileytongue:Note: Calendar and Email/Gmail were installed with Autonooter.....

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Newsrob Pro for offline newsreading - if you set it up carefully (making sure you download and store full pages for your feeds) you have access to newspapers whether or not you're online. 

I did not root mine with autonooter, but with monster root pack.  What I've discovered since then is that the MRP root lets you install the Nook app for Android.  The library feature built into NC still works, but the onboard shop does not.  The nook app has its own access to shop, but IMO it's a much better book reader than the library app.

- supports a really dark night mode

- supports fullscreen

- supports portrait/landscape flipping

- very good at remembering what page you were on (much better than library)

- lets you delete books from inside the app

again, monster root pack does break the onboard shop. 

It does not break the library.

I think the value of having the real nook Android app far outweighs the broken shop.  YMMV.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
JillMcD
0 Kudos

Google Voice - free text messages?  I've never heard of that...hmmmm

and the etch a sketch thing - that sounds fun....

So what is the advantage of Dropbox over using Google or Windows Live Document storage?

NookColor - CM7 Custom ROM

Distinguished Correspondent
MadScntst
0 Kudos

Root Explorer - great for changing the cache to your SD card to speed up write times :smileyvery-happy:

Thumb Keyboard - great keyboard just copy it into your system/app folder using root explorer and install. then you will find it under nook color tools

dropbox - never leave home without it easily transfer files from computer to NC

app protector pro - keeping your apps on lockdown was never so much fun

opera mobile - this is one bad mamajamma of a mobile browser

quick boot - for restarting the easy way

rom manager - for CWM recovery for backups and flashing overclock kernals

SetCPU - even if not overclocked helps extend battery life by regulating how hard the nook color is allowed to work in certain situations like when the screen is off or when charging.

xda premium - for browsing of all things XDA for our nook colors.

Perfect Veiwer - comic app

Home switcher - to pick what is default for home.

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
Wordsmith
mariel9898

Astro - file management

Root Explorer - file management only deeper

Lookout - malware detector

Anti Virus Free - antivirus program

Advanced Task Killer - use it only when necessary as Android does a good job of managing it's own memory and resources

ADW - a launcher which allows for 5 home pages plus a lot more

Button Savior - I don't like Soft Keys which comes with autonooter. Button Savior is a much better, more intuitive button replacer. The icons are small and see through and very easy to toggle view.

Google Earth - The functions requiring GPS don't work but the rest of it is pretty cool and useful. Gets your location from your WiFi.

Epicurious - Because I like to cook! Wish I could access my own recipes from the app, but that's what the web site it for I suppose.

ADE and Overdrive - for borrowing library books

TuneIn - Streaming local radio

Home Switcher - toggles from B&N launcher to ADW launcher. Also toggles between Button Savior and Soft Keys

Amazon App Store - offers a free app every day

Dolphin HD and Firefox - Alternate web browsers. So far I like Dolphin HD better, but Firefox is still in Beta, if they fix it the synch feature should be awesome

Color Note - lets you put "stickies" on your home page

Converter - converts all sorts of measurements

Evernote - lets you store web pages and other stuff so you can share among your phone, PC, Nook, etc.

Facebook - self explanatory

Optimum - my cable company app which lets me program my DVR from anywhere

ShootMe - shake your NC to take a screen shot

TV.com - lets you watch TV shows, mostly CBS some cable stuff

YouTube - this is the mobile app which does not require Flash

Other readers - mostly for free stuff - Kindle, Aldiko, Laputa

iRae - Spanish dictionary

Recipe Convert - converts yields and measurements in recipes

Task Switcher - easily switch between apps when you have several open

Games - Tried quite a few, got rid of a lot but have Angry Birds (all 3 versions), Solitaire Free (not as sensitive on the edges of the screen), Fruit Ninja, Abduction, Farm Frenzy (paid), Jewels, Candy Swipe, Zuma Deluxe, Colorix Free (doesn't fill the screen but a good game), Crazy Snowboard, Androidify,

Correspondent
julianka

I don't know if I'd call any of my apps must haves (I'm actually trying not to get TOO attached to any in case I end up going with the update and it takes awhile for autonooting to become possible after it.)  But there is one that I think all rooted/autonootered NC users should have - NookColor File Manager.  In addition to being a simple file manager, it lets you do three things you can't do on an unrooted NC:

*Put non-BN purchased books on the home page

*Get BN "details" on non-BN purchased books

*Archive BN samples.

It's free and easy to use.

Frequent Contributor
ridgrnr
0 Kudos

Several of you have mentioned Dropbox to transfer files. While Dropbox is a good service for keeping things in the cloud you might need, for actually transferring files between your NC and computer, I would recommend a FTP client. I use File Export which is also a file manager and is free in the market. It is MANY, MANY times faster than Dropbox so for large files such as music, movies or photos is especially good. It's easy to use, just open it, check FTP and follow the directions it gives for connecting to your computer. Do go into the settings first though to change your user ID and password.

The other app I haven't seen mentioned is Winamp for playing/managing music. If you have Winamp on your desktop also, it will let you wirelessly sync between your NC and computer.

MadScntst
0 Kudos

HOLY Smokes! julianka, you just blew my mind. I didnt even know about this app. it is amazing! thank you for pointing it out. this is definitely a must have.

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

I just got the overdrive app working on the autorooted nc. I had to switch the web browser to mobile mode to get to kick off the overdrive app when downloading from the library web site. No more having to connect to pc to do this.
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

ridgrnr wrote:

...for actually transferring files between your NC and computer, I would recommend a FTP client. I use File Export which is also a file manager and is free in the market.

Good suggestion, but I think you meant File Expert?

It is MANY, MANY times faster than Dropbox so for large files such as music, movies or photos is especially good. It's easy to use, just open it, check FTP and follow the directions it gives for connecting to your computer.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.  There are no real directions to follow in File Expert.  In fact, you can barely read the text above the boxes you need to fill in to configure it.  Lastly, I think the tab there is Network, not FTP.

- Mark

Do go into the settings first though to change your user ID and password.

Correspondent
crenita
0 Kudos

Julianha.. .. How do you find the instruction on the use of that app Nook Color File manager ??

did you find  instructions or just figured it out on your own ???

Thx

MadScntst
0 Kudos

I just figured it out on my own (even though this question was addressed to me). It is just a basic file manager so you click on the folder you want and then can go where you need to go say media to my books. then press and hold to bring up the option menu. it is pretty simple just start pressing that is what i do. but then again I am the kind of person who sees a big red button that says "dont push instantaneous death" and then prompty pushes.

Frequent Contributor
ridgrnr
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

ridgrnr wrote:

...for actually transferring files between your NC and computer, I would recommend a FTP client. I use File Export which is also a file manager and is free in the market.

Good suggestion, but I think you meant File Expert?

Yes, my bad. It is File Expert.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.  There are no real directions to follow in File Expert.  In fact, you can barely read the text above the boxes you need to fill in to configure it.  Lastly, I think the tab there is Network, not FTP.

I guess I just made the assumption that everyone knew how to use FTP (which is an option as is HTTP). With FTP, you might need an FTP client on your computer (I use WINSCP which is free) and when you check the FTP box on the bottom of File Expert, it provides you the login info for WINSCP. Or you can use the HTTP option and just put that info into your computer browser. I like the FTP option because it opens an explorer window on the computer that is easier to work with than the browse option with HTTP.

And on my NC, when I check either box which are aligned along the bottom with the other options, I get a pop up box with the computer login details that is quite legible.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And for people who have never heard of FTP and wonder just what you folks are talkin' 'bout, FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, and it's just a way of sending files from one computer to another, with handshakes to assure file integrity.  Much faster than the so-called "cloud" apps (since it's direct from one computer to the target computer). 

ETA: I use a Firefox add-on called FireFTP as one of my FTP clients.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

MadScntst wrote:

I just figured it out on my own (even though this question was addressed to me).

I figured it out on my own too, but there is one thing I can't figure out.  One of the options is "Set Viewer App" and I don't know what to type in there to make the book open in something else besides the native NC reader.  Like for instant if I wanted the books to open in Aldiko, I don't know how to do that.  Anybody?