Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
qballrail
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎09-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

I am aware that Mobi/prc are not supported, which is why I started this discussion, to try to find out if there is a way, and how to do it, if at all possible.  The device I have is difficult for me to read now that my eyesight is failing.  Not sure what you mean by, "SOL as you choose to be," but prc isn't as outdated as people make it out to be, however.  The publications I have are relatively new, one is in fact 2011, so books are still being published in that format.  But to do what you suggest sounds beyond my technical expertise.  I've read a little about rooting and it seems a bit more involved than I am probably able to do, and outside my financial boundaries.  Wouldn't the OS need to be purchased?  If so, they are a little pricey, are they not?

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
Posts: 280
Registered: ‎08-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

About all you need is a SD card and the ability to follow directions--the custom ROMs and rooting utilities for the NC are volunteer efforts, so they are free. If you wanted to strip the DRM instead, it's fewer steps, but more intimidating for some people because you have to actually type in commands rather than pick options from menus.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

[ Edited ]

Quite honestly it is listed what formats are supported. The fact the NOOKcolor won't read your books is the "fault" of those books and their drm and not B&N. You rail against B&N for DRM that is in a file they did not create. But, almost all major device sellers also use DRM. And it is due to the DRM in your .mobi file that you are having problems. I understand this is a problem that you entered unknowingly. Going forward it is best to realize the format most used by device manufacturers is epub. Mobi is not used much, but non-drmed mobi books exist so as to be readable on kindles much of the time, or to be used by owners of some older devices. No device manufacturer can be expected to have a device that can read the drm or even all formats that are out there. The closest thing to a standard format is the epub. In the world of epubs, Adobe and their Digital Editions is trying to help with that, so there's more portability. I do think that for you trying to look and see if you can download the calibre program and then search and see if the tools for it have a plugin for calibre to strip the drm of books you bought. Or, see if you can locate a reader for a computer from the place where you got the books or if there's a computer version of a reader out there. Or, see if you can find them in ebook form in a library to loan. But you need Adobe Digital Editions for that. There are a number of things to try based upon how willing you are and how able, to address a mistake you made. We have all been there, made mistakes, bought the wrong thing. As far as any other issues, you should contact B&N by phone in non-peak times, try to get someone in the US for customer service. I am not sure what the offers are that you got, but make sure that the purchase and promises were from BN directly and not Best Buy, Staples, Walmart, or HSN or QVC.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
qballrail
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎09-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

There's always one in the bunch that thinks you're playing the blame game.  I'm not blaming or railing against BN for this.  I have other issues with them and it's not the DRM fiasco. As I've stated before, I am looking for either an edition or a way to read the prc versions on the Nook because it is getting hard on the eyes to read on that little device.  DRM IS a pain in the a$$ to customers but I never said that BN was to blame here.  I am aware of what's supported as well. 

 

Calibre won't convert files w/ DRM protection and these files are encoded this way.  Also, this purchase was thru BN, at the store level.  So, BN is responsible for the incentives.  Period.  As explained before, I have contacted them in many forms, to only receive a run-around.

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
Posts: 990
Registered: ‎11-18-2010

Re: Limitations

[ Edited ]

qballrail wrote:

There's always one in the bunch that thinks you're playing the blame game.  I'm not blaming or railing against BN for this. 

 

Quoted from  your original post: "I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with this device as the days go by AND the level of support I've received."  And this was in response to a customer service reply which, canned or not, actually answered the question you asked them.  Whether or not the book is available in digital format or not, it is up to the publisher to provide it.


I have other issues with them and it's not the DRM fiasco. As I've stated before, I am looking for either an edition or a way to read the prc versions on the Nook because it is getting hard on the eyes to read on that little device.  DRM IS a pain in the a$$ to customers but I never said that BN was to blame here.  I am aware of what's supported as well. 

 

If you were aware of this, then may I ask why you bought the device in the first place?

 

Calibre won't convert files w/ DRM protection and these files are encoded this way.  Also, this purchase was thru BN, at the store level.  So, BN is responsible for the incentives.  Period.  As explained before, I have contacted them in many forms, to only receive a run-around.



You also asked in your OP: "With the Nook Color, am I limited to ONLY BN E-books?" The answer is no you are not, but you are limited to EPUB and PDF file formats without DRM from other sources. And I'm talking about stock, not a rooted device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009

Re: Limitations

With all due respect, you do come off as angry at one store for not supporting a file bought elsewhere. Also, apparently you still wish to pursue the black hole of despair attitude. We cannot help you if you will mot help yourself. I am fully aware of what calibre will not do, but a simple google search will reveal tools containing plugins that may help your situation without requiring you to run python scripts directly. Maybe. Alternately, you may have to get python and run scripts outside of calibre. Or, look for and buy the books thru B&N or just forget about them, all based upon your level of desire and perseverance. This is reality.


As far as promotions, well I have no idea about that, but still you are failing to use resources available to you, namely Sam the Community Manager. I never heard of these promotions, but if they aren't working, there must be more to it. Since you got it at the store, have you tried there?

All of your posts have been blaming B&N, so sure change the story now. You complained about them and the fact the NC wouldn't read .mobi. Now you say you know the supported formats. Then, once advised if non-drmed you could convert using calibre. Well, then it has drm. But for some reason your initial post was angry it couldn't be read on the NC. How is this not blaming them? You use this as some basis for saying the NC is limited (your thread title) in formats it accepts. It has been explained just how unlimited the NC is in that epubs are all over the place. It is .mobi that is limited and you can beat your head against a brick wall or do something about it. Sorry, I know vision issues are no fun, but you do make it hard for people to want to help.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
qballrail
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎09-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations


roustabout wrote:

qball, when you say you've tried converting them, does this mean you had tried before buying the NC, or tried before this with an earlier iteration of Calibre? 

 

After receiving the NC, I tried converting with what I thought was the newest version of Calibre which would not convert because of the DRM encoding.

 

I agree with you that the books should be available on whatever device you choose, but many vendors only guarantee compatibility with their platform. Anything else is self-service. 

 

What device were you using to view the files in the past? Does it still work?  (one of the techniques is far simpler if the answer there is yes.) 

 

It's an iPaq Windows Mobile device with Mobi Pocket.  A very small device, and my eyes are getting too bad to read that small.  That's pretty much the only E-reader I've ever owned... which really isn't an E-reader, just capable of being one.

  

Be aware that if you root your NC, you can install the Kindle app.  If these are in your Amazon library, the Kindle app will know about them and be able to read them - and of course it's unfair to expect BN to tell you that that's an option, as the reader you bought from them is making them a very thin profit, with book sales, app sales and magazine sales projected to make the margin healthier over the life of the unit. 

 

Is it really that simple to root?  I've never done that before and not sure if it's outside my level of expertise.  Also, don't you need a full version of the Android OS?  What does this cost and what's the minimum size of SD card required?

 

Or, put a different way:  did yoiu ask the vendor who sold these to you "how do I export these to epub format?"  And were you expecting them to tell you that?  :smileyhappy: 

 

Not sure what you mean by this, can you clarify?


 

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,619
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Limitations

[ Edited ]

It is exceedingly simple to root. The cost is the cost of a microSD card, nothing more.  A 256 meg card such as you may already have in a cellphone will do. You already have the Android OS installed on your NC;  rooting simply gives you access to more of it. 

 

The process is simple, and the NC is so bulletproof that I have put microSD cards in the mail and walked folks through the process over the phone, sure that I could bail them back out if things went sideways. 

 

The third method at http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html (for rooting 1.2) will also work for 1.3.  I verified that earlier this week.  

 

Conversion:  it sounds as if you have little experience with Calibre and may or may not have read up on DRM and security issues. You should do so before throwing in the towel, and certainly before blaming BN or Calibre for being unable to open files (and I agree with others here that your tone has been not 'can anyone show me how to do this?' but 'BN should have done this for me.') 

 

      "did you ask the vendor who sold these to you "how do I export these to epub format?"  And were

       you expecting them to tell you that?  :smileyhappy: "

 

   Not sure what you mean by this, can you clarify?



You should be asking the people who sold you these books for their help in reading them as epub files.  Since you apparently bought them pretty recently from Amazon (via their mobipocket store) I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be:  silence, or no. 

 

That said, I don't think you've exhausted your options by a long shot. 

 

You ought to be able to read these in the Mobipocket software client for your computer as well as on your old device.  My guess is that either the phone or the software client will contain the information you need to unlock them and convert them. Hopefully the software client can be used, since you're at the end of being able to work with the device and needing to read strings of numbers off of it, or make software modifications to it, is clearly going to be hard on the small screen. 

 

Thoughts on DRM as it relates to security:  information security is a triangle:  availability, confidentiality, integrity.  DRM breaks your control over availability and integrity in order to deliver confidentiality - not to you, but to the vendor of your files.  You should definitely read the Apprentice Alf blog and learn to manage the availability and integrity of your data for yourself.  You owe it to your ebook vendors to maintain confidentiality -- but you owed them that to start with, and it was in the agreement as you purchased the books.

 

http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/ is a discussion of DRM and security. It is not a link to software.  If there were a problem with that website, Wordpress would have received a DMCA takedown by now, so I hope people will stop playing holier-than-thou edit-fu with mentions of it.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,193
Registered: ‎02-09-2010

Re: Limitations


qballrail wrote:

I am aware that Mobi/prc are not supported, which is why I started this discussion, to try to find out if there is a way, and how to do it, if at all possible.  The device I have is difficult for me to read now that my eyesight is failing.  Not sure what you mean by, "SOL as you choose to be," but prc isn't as outdated as people make it out to be, however.  The publications I have are relatively new, one is in fact 2011, so books are still being published in that format.  But to do what you suggest sounds beyond my technical expertise.  I've read a little about rooting and it seems a bit more involved than I am probably able to do, and outside my financial boundaries.  Wouldn't the OS need to be purchased?  If so, they are a little pricey, are they not?


The NC supports Epub with Adobe DRM books, which means you  can buy books from almost any ebookstore in the world, except Apple and Amazon.

 

The reason none of the newer ereaders support Mobipocket DRM is because Amazon (who owns the Mobipocket DRM) only allows the Mobipocket DRM on a device if it is the only DRM supported on that device.  Amazon also introduced other restrictions. Amazon killed the Mobipocket DRM on purpose.

 


 

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
Posts: 817
Registered: ‎01-03-2011

Re: Limitations

Quote: ProfReader
It is perfectly fine to let someone know that certain tools are available, but you definitely are not allowed to provide links to them. This can create serious legal issuses for the hosting web site. 

 

Hooey, fortunately this country isn't full blown communist yet, where your neighbor turns you in for the way you said gulag, or in N.Korea you can be put to death for praying.  Instead we are up to our necks in PC crap such as the statement above.  How many letters did "ProfReader" send to Google for giving up such pernicious links, or letters to his congressmen complaining about, how many Publishing companies ripping off public domain eBooks and adding a new cover so they can sell them, not paying royalties to anyone.  In this country we buy it we want to own it.  ProfReader would turn in a poster who said he had thousands of DRM removed books, hoping that B&N would start reading everyone's post and private PM to root out the heinous offenders of what?    We have been here before and had the legal briefs posted, and there is a huge grey area which ProfReader hasn't a clue about, "but you definitely are not allowed to provide links to them".  Roustabout posted nothing new, this info is freely available on the internet a hundreds of locations, anyone wanting that info can easily find it, therefore no foul.  Even if Roustabout's post was the first to provide info & links it still is NO foul.  However ProfReader's PC attempt to stymie free speech is atrocious and absolutely offensive.



Wordsmith
doncr
Posts: 493
Registered: ‎12-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations


yocalif wrote:

Quote: ProfReader
It is perfectly fine to let someone know that certain tools are available, but you definitely are not allowed to provide links to them. This can create serious legal issuses for the hosting web site. 

 

Hooey, fortunately this country isn't full blown communist yet, where your neighbor turns you in for the way you said gulag, or in N.Korea you can be put to death for praying.  Instead we are up to our necks in PC crap such as the statement above.  How many letters did "ProfReader" send to Google for giving up such pernicious links, or letters to his congressmen complaining about, how many Publishing companies ripping off public domain eBooks and adding a new cover so they can sell them, not paying royalties to anyone.  In this country we buy it we want to own it.  ProfReader would turn in a poster who said he had thousands of DRM removed books, hoping that B&N would start reading everyone's post and private PM to root out the heinous offenders of what?    We have been here before and had the legal briefs posted, and there is a huge grey area which ProfReader hasn't a clue about, "but you definitely are not allowed to provide links to them".  Roustabout posted nothing new, this info is freely available on the internet a hundreds of locations, anyone wanting that info can easily find it, therefore no foul.  Even if Roustabout's post was the first to provide info & links it still is NO foul.  However ProfReader's PC attempt to stymie free speech is atrocious and absolutely offensive.




You there.  Come here.  Let me see your papers.

 

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,619
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Limitations

My links were both to discussions, not to tools.  That's why I was surprised by the edit-fu.

 

It's as if saying "hm, apprentice alf and I heart cabbages are worth reading" is ok, but it is wrong to phrase that as

 

check out http://www.google.com/search?q=apprentice+alf+and+I+heart+cabbages because if you click links resulting from that search, you can find tools. 

 

Also entertaining was that the folks making DIY ebooks from DTB books did not get edited out.  That's way more subversive than DRM unlocking, as it's a method for putting into electronic format books that neither the authors nor the publishers have signed off on electronic editions for. 

 

However, figuring that out takes some actual thinking about it to understand, and sometimes Thou Shalt Not Speak types aren't so long on the thinking. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

"Is it really that simple to root?  I've never done that before and not sure if it's outside my level of

expertise.  Also, don't you need a full version of the Android OS?  What does this cost and what's the minimum size of SD card required?"

 

 

qballrail,

If you are nervous about "rooting" your nook, you can get a N2A (Nook2Android) card ready to go.  If you google N2A you will get the website, if you want to know more about other experience, you can search N2A on the threads and get more information (postive/negative) and user feedback than you ever wanted to know.

Just FYI...

 

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,807
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: Limitations


qballrail wrote:

Actually, they were downloaded directly from the MobiPocket website.  They are in .prc format and the device I have is a PDA but my eyes are getting so worn out I can't read on that device anymore.  There are really about 4 books I want to read that are on that device. But it's beginning to sound like I'm SOL.  Man, getting this Nook has been one disappointment after another.  This damn DRM thing is really a hassle for customers.  Whatever happened to "Fair Use?"  I'm not out to scam anyone, just want to read my E-books.  I am getting so disgusted with this whole thing, between BN screwing me on the registration incentive, and the $50 BN membership coupon that is a dead link and now this.  Maybe I'll just go back to reading books the old fashion way.


You may not be out to scam anyone, but there are a lot of people who are.  People who would buy a book and then put it on a website to let anyone download it.  Honest people always pay for the dishonest people.  You pay more for items to cover the cost of shoplifting.  They have big tags on clothes that make it difficult to tell if it fits properly, because people steal clothes from stores.  You have DRM because people to protect the publishers.  Do I wish there was another way, yes.  Do I think things will change in the future, more than likely, but I also think publishers have the right to protect their products from illegal use.

 

I'm not sure why you don't think you have fair use.  You do, you can read it on the devices you own that are tied to your acount.  And if fact, with B&N DRM I can share books with family and close friends without tying their accounts to mine, I simply need to enter the cc number in the device, ONCE, and it will unlock all books downloaded after that, as long as I don't change my cc.

 

But if it bothers you as much as it apparently does, you are probably right, you should sell your Nook and go back to reading DTBs, you'll probably be much happier.

 

 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,138
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

[ Edited ]

yocalif wrote:

Quote: ProfReader
It is perfectly fine to let someone know that certain tools are available, but you definitely are not allowed to provide links to them. This can create serious legal issuses for the hosting web site. 

 

Hooey, fortunately this country isn't full blown communist yet, where your neighbor turns you in for the way you said gulag, or in N.Korea you can be put to death for praying.  Instead we are up to our necks in PC crap such as the statement above.  How many letters did "ProfReader" send to Google for giving up such pernicious links, or letters to his congressmen complaining about, how many Publishing companies ripping off public domain eBooks and adding a new cover so they can sell them, not paying royalties to anyone.  In this country we buy it we want to own it.  ProfReader would turn in a poster who said he had thousands of DRM removed books, hoping that B&N would start reading everyone's post and private PM to root out the heinous offenders of what?    We have been here before and had the legal briefs posted, and there is a huge grey area which ProfReader hasn't a clue about, "but you definitely are not allowed to provide links to them".  Roustabout posted nothing new, this info is freely available on the internet a hundreds of locations, anyone wanting that info can easily find it, therefore no foul.  Even if Roustabout's post was the first to provide info & links it still is NO foul.  However ProfReader's PC attempt to stymie free speech is atrocious and absolutely offensive.




First of all I already have the DRM stripped from all of my books so I could care less about what other people do with their property. And you sir no nothing about me. Wow now Iam the PC police and don't know what is proper or improper and want to prevent free speech. What person did I turn in? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,619
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

qball, the process is way simpler than I'd made it for myself. 

 

I got a question about managing these files across platforms, and explained the process I'd gone through.  My process had involved manually verifying each step, starting with the files as stored on the device.  My correspondent let me know that their experience had been that they'd simply installed the plugins, installed the readers, brought the relevant files into Calibre and they'd worked, and then been exported as epub to the NC, since Calibre is both NC and file preference aware. 

 

Whoops!  Hadn't tried that :smileyhappy: 

 

It had not even occurred to me to realize that I didn't need to manually confirm that my NC was being catered to automatically, and I was unaware that the tools discussed on the Apprentice Alf wordpress blog were apparently very automated on a computer which has the Kindle and BN apps installed.

 

So, if these mobi press books can be transferred to your Kindle account, install the Kindle app, get local copies and the result really is remarkably good.  It is entirely possible that even if you can't get them into a Kindle account, just set up the Mobipocket software on your computer, then drop the files from the Mobi reader folder on your computer into Calibre than that will work, but that I cannot test. 

 

Well, now, I know how to do a lot with various APK utilities that I didn't know how to do before, so that's a good thing. 

 

I'm even more impressed with Calibre than I was. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
qballrail
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎09-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

Well, unfortunately I do not have a Kindle account.  All of my MobiPocket books were downloaded directly from the Mobipocket.com website.  Does this change everything?  Do we have other options?  I may just try rooting, need to get a card for it first. 

 

But back to the DRM thing. You're saying that if I launch the MobiPocket for PC & open the book in question, is it possible to convert it that way with Calibre?  I have both, but again, no Kindle account.  Don't like the reader.  Beside the point.  I will try doing that and let you know.  Thanks.

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Frequent Contributor
qballrail
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎09-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations


A_Wilson wrote:

qballrail,

If you are nervous about "rooting" your nook, you can get a N2A (Nook2Android) card ready to go.  If you google N2A you will get the website, if you want to know more about other experience, you can search N2A on the threads and get more information (postive/negative) and user feedback than you ever wanted to know.

Just FYI...

 



Cool.. will check that out.  Thanks.  Might still do the root thing, but not sure yet.  Still need to obtain a MicroSD card.  What is the minimum head space I should get?

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Frequent Contributor
qballrail
Posts: 64
Registered: ‎09-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:
.

 

But if it bothers you as much as it apparently does, you are probably right, you should sell your Nook and go back to reading DTBs, you'll probably be much happier.

 

 



No, I like doing multiple reads.  But my girlfriend complains about me having stacks of books laying around, so I've decided the NC stays.  I'll figure it out, still pisses me off but I'll find a method that I'm comfortable with, whether it's just accepting the fact they have my personal info or getting a reloadable Visa.  I am still waiting on them to own up to the registration incentive.  Not going to leave that one alone. ;P

 

Thanks for not berating me or taking my comments personally. :smileyhappy:

"I have known some very thoughtful dogs" - James Thurber
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Limitations

You do realize the mobipocket website has free ereading apps for a variety of devices, such as a pc? That way, you could read the four books you said were a must. This certainly would have been at least an option to explore before all the drm hubub.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.