Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Limitations

[ Edited ]

Qball, you get that by only giving fragmentary information and by not being more forthright about what elements of the problem you created, you're wasting the time of people trying to help, the thread itself is becoming muddled and likely to make folks with Mobi books think there's no solution, right?

"There's a mix up with one of my E-mail addresses.  So, this ground has been covered."

Well, no, that ground has not been covered in this thread before now.  Both Dee and I have been trying to say "use the app on your computer to open these.  Once you've done that, it's likely that Calibre plus the DRM tools will be able to handle them automatically for you" for a couple of days.  We've been trying to explain it in increasingly simple terms. It finally occurred to you to admit that you don't have access to the files on your computer, only on your handheld. 

When this is pointed out, you decide to go for the traditional "you must work for BN, you" and that's yet another tired defensive reaction. 

A better tone for mentioning this one, this far along, could have been:

"oh, jeeze.  I am such a knucklehead!  I just realized that I can't access my own mobi account on my windows box.  I apologize and can anyone think of anything I could do?" 

But to act like this was ground already covered, and then get defensive?  Most of the problems you have posted about here are of your own creation.  Bayesian inference suggests that most of the problems in your interactions with CS have the same source.  You may well be eligible for a registration offer, and the instructions for getting it may well have already been sent.  But if those instructions are more complicated than "the books are already in your account" I think it's possible that there was a misstep in implementing them, one we'll never hear about. 

That said:  does the app on the device you use which can still view these files have an infomation screen on it someplace?  One that tells you who the library belongs to, analogous to the display on the NC of "settings ... device info..  about your NC.." that displays your name and the email to which you registered the device? If so, you should register the computer program to that email address displayed on the device which can read the files and see if that works.  That's the only thing I can think of that might be a way to recover that address. 

Might also help if you started posting on the Mobi support boards for suggestions.  No one else here seems to use Mobi files or the Mobi app, so of course we're not in a position a give you a step by step. If the email that the files are registered to is buried in the files themselves somewhere, folks in the Mobi forums might well know about it. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.