Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Amanda69
0 Kudos

Looking for Opinions. Nook Color good alternative to the ipad.

Hello all!

I am thinking about upgrading my Nook1 to something little bit more technology friendly.

I was just wondering in your opinion. Is the nook color a good alternative to an ipad or should I pay more for the Ipad?

I am just really looking for opinions really what everybody else would do.

Thank you in advance!

Inspired Correspondent
DanRNJ

Re: Looking for Opinions. Nook Color good alternative to the ipad.

Not really a question that can be readily answered without more input from you.  What is it you want to do with the new device.  By "technology friendly" do you mean you want features beyond what an e-reader offers?  If so, while the NOOK Color is a great e-reader and offers some elements of an Android tablet (a limited number of apps and a decent browser) it is not a full fledged tablet.

If what you are looking for is a good e-reader with some bells and whistles, the iPad is over-kill, particularly at 10 inches long and $500USD minimum.  It's more cumbersome to use as a reader (think of holding a large hard cover book rather than a paperback sized book) and costs twice as much as a NC, even for the base mode wi-fi only iPad.

The NC can also be rooted to run the Android OS, giving you much of what the $400-600 tablets offer, but that's beyond the functionality of an out-of-the-box unit and requires a bit of work to get it set up.  The process is not really difficult but careful attention to details is called for.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

If you are looking for something like an ipad in the nook color, you should be ready and willing to root, or run an alternative operating system. Still, there is no camera, the screen in much smaller, there are bugs, and there is a cookbook to contend with. My opinion is that if you are asking for opinions on ipad vs. NC, your best bet is to go with the ipad unless your primary need is reading. Angry birds is better on the larger screen.
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

I started by getting an iPad.  My needs were (i this order):

* an easier way to read

* a convenient way to keep my email with me so I can check it at any time

* an easy way to surf the Web while in bed.

* a convenient way to read magazines and newspapers anywhere / any time.

The iPad was fun.  But way expensive, and it's size became overwhelming.  Hard to read it for a long time in bed, and awkward to carry with you to restaurants and other places

I sent it back and asked my family for the Nook Color for my birthday.

All of the things that were important to me that the iPad did, the NC does....but it does it cheaper. More importantly, the size makes it easier to hold in bed and more convnient to take with me when I'm on the go.

And then I installed CM7 as the primary operating system, which turned a great ereader into a sensational tablet.  There is not a single thing that I would want to do on the iPad that I cannot now do with my Nook. 

Contributor
Amanda69
0 Kudos

Thank you all!

I agree I should add more info on to my reasons why.

Well I need something little bit more internet friendly because I travel a lot for work and I want something I can do my work on and not have to bring my laptop with me. It's really starting to tear up my computer even in it's safety bag because I travel with it so much.

Bascially just want opinoins if the nook or any other tablet is good to use for that kind of thing. I did notice the ipad is really expensive really don't want to pay that much.  This is out of my own pocket my job wouldn't pay for it lol.

Around where I live it's hard to try out these kind of stuff because one I don't have B&N close to me it's over an hr away and Walmart they are kind rude to you when you want to try one of the tablets out.

All Opinions are welcome!

Thank you again!

Distinguished Correspondent
gaming_grandma

I enjoy the NC but mine isn't stock. I added a 32gb Android card from nook2android so that I essentially have two different systems. I love being able to get a free app every day from Amazon while still getting the Free Friday books from B&N. I downloaded Overdrive Media through my library and have access to tons of audiobooks and ebooks, also. DVD Catalyst and their movie viewer round out my favorite apps. I forgot Shortz Crosswords that allows me to download great puzzles every day. I highly suggested this approach unless you need the larger screen or have other Apple devices that you want to use with your tablet.
Frequent Contributor
airangel
0 Kudos

Like GamingGrandma, I too bought the n2a card (8g) as I wanted more than the NC could offer, even after the latest upgrade. I wanted more than an e reader from the get go, but not willing to root the Nook myself. I got the card the card the other day and I have no desire to use theNook side. I was not willing to pay what an ipad cost..so am totally happy with what my Nook can now do. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of an ipad, but the NC is half the price, smaller in size and if you opt for the n2a card,you will have the ability to boot up to either side and not invalidate your warranty. Just my 2 cents ymmv
Nook Color owner: 12/11/2010
N2A 8GB 8/12/2011 (I'll never go back!!)
Industriell covered :smileyhappy:

Tucson, AZ
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Amanda69 wrote:

Thank you all!

Well I need something little bit more internet friendly because I travel a lot for work and I want something I can do my work on and not have to bring my laptop with me. It's really starting to tear up my computer even in it's safety bag because I travel with it so much.

Bascially just want opinoins if the nook or any other tablet is good to use for that kind of thing. I did notice the ipad is really expensive really don't want to pay that much.  This is out of my own pocket my job wouldn't pay for it lol.

Around where I live it's hard to try out these kind of stuff because one I don't have B&N close to me it's over an hr away and Walmart they are kind rude to you when you want to try one of the tablets out.

Thank you again!

Hmm, still need some more info.

So you travel a lot for work.  Are you toting that laptop around just to get internet access for personal use? Or are you using it for work? (ie writing reports or any other type of entry where a keyboard would be more useful?)

Do you have a Best Buy nearby?  Their salespeople are usually more friendly and they have devices out on display for people to touch and play with. (Early in the morning usually not too busy.)  They probably won't have the NookColor close by --- you'll have to walk around the store to see it.  But you can check out the iPad, the Xoom, the Galaxy and whatever else is out there and see the displays, see how heavey they feel to you etc. (I didn't buy an iPad2, but I do agree with Richardwrite25 --- it was too heavy for my intended uses.)

Do you need to have it right away? Or willing to wait maybe 90 days? Speculation is that there "may be" and update or a NC2.  See the thread entitled "How Long can B&N Wait before releasing a Nook Color2"  There are some opinions in there you might find helpful (or not.) (It's about 4 weeks old --- maybe 2 pages back as of right now.  Sorry, tried to link it to make it easier but the site keeps freezing on me then.)

Also if you haven't done so already, check out 2 other threads just a little farther down the page:

Vizio Tablet --- what the NC should be (If nothing else, it is a good discussion of what the stock NC is and isn't capable of.)

and

Turn Your NC into an Android Tablet with Nook2Android disk.  (GamingGrandma may be onto something here!)

There was another "tablet" that someone mentioned recently too --- maybe the Asus Transformer? Works as a slate/tablet but has a keyboard docking station too.

Hope this helps.  Let us know what you do!

JohnF76
0 Kudos

Everything depends on what you want out of your next device.

If I were you , I'd make a list of what I want from my next device, and rank it in order of importance. The iPad is a fine device, but there are things it's good at, and things it's not so good at...just like the Nook Color, and other Android tablets.

I've used both, and I prefer the NC, because I can alter it to MY liking. I'm no fan of itunes or the Apple store (which are a necessity for the iPad). I've found the Nook Color much better at connecting to wireless networks, and much easier to handle. I don't need a camera, and I use headphones on the NC (as the NC's speakers are less than adequate).

I also think much depends on what kind of phone you have. People who use iPhones have a much better time with iPads (and visa versa) because that's what they are used to. There is a significant difference between a stock NC vs Rooted or using CM7, as far as functionality. There is no camera with the NC, so that may be a factor for you.

There was a good point earlier in the thread. You may want to wait to see what Amazon is coming out with, and how B&N responds with this fall. There are also many Android tablets coming out this fall, so I think it's good advice to wait before you make the plunge!

tenagail
0 Kudos

Chuck, when you brought up that cookbook, I very nearly blew Pepsi out my nose.
Inspired Contributor
Deadpoe
0 Kudos

tenagail wrote:

I totally agree.  At least if I had been drinking Pepsi.

Chuck4prez, I think I love you.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

chuck4prez wrote:
...and there is a cookbook to contend with.
Oh, well, that kills it right there.  Case closed.  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileyvery-happy:
- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Amanda69 wrote:

In that case, you may not want either.  :smileysurprised:  Depending on your definition of work.  :smileywink:  Neither is overly well suited for content creation.

When my daughter recently left for grad school, she wanted something lighter than a laptop, and with longer than the pathetic battery life many laptops provide.  I got her an ASUS Transformer with dock, where the dock is a keyboard, battery & extra ports.  The base unit is a 10'1" Android tablet, 1.5#, 0.5" thick, etc.  9 hours on the tablet, 16 hours with the keyboard attached (2.9# in that config).  It folds together and looks like a netbook.  Got the combo for $499 at Newegg on sale.

Another option we didn't have the luxury of time to wait for is the coming Lenovo Thinkpad tablet.  That's $100 more with a keyboard built into an optional leather case, but adds a stylus for handwriting, which it converts to editable text.  I may get that one for myself.

Bascially just want opinoins if the nook or any other tablet is good to use for that kind of thing. I did notice the ipad is really expensive really don't want to pay that much. 

Ah, well.  I'm not sure you're going to find something cheaper than an iPad, that also does more, and is as small and light, etc.  Perhaps you should look into a netbook?  Acer and ASUS both have units that frequently go for around the same $250 as the NC, with 10" screens and keyboards.  Usually about 6-8 hour battery life.  That might be your best low-cost option, with maximum functionality.  (But they're not touch screens, if that's what you were looking for.)

- Mark

Thank you again!

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh, I forgot to mention, one of the reasons the Transformer was attractive is because it came with Polaris Office pre-installed, which allows her to edit, as well as read, her Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, and Powerpoints for her classwork.  No extra charge.

Also (unless she does something foolish) the Android Transformer should be less susceptible to virus attacks and other malware, than other platforms.  What little there is seems to be focused on Andoid phones.

But this sounds like it may too expensive for you.  If you do decide you'd like an iPad, you should look into getting a refurbed iPad 1 direct from Apple, at a significantly reduced price.

Lastly, one nice thing about the Vizio tablet that was mentioned earlier is that while it's still small and inexpensive (so it shares some of the NC advantages), the screen is a bit larger at 8", making it easier to read.  The big win though is the greater width in portrait mode (768 vs 600).  This comes in very handy on PDF documents, where the 3.5" wide 600-pixel NC screen can be a bit problematic.  Websites also benefit from this (though you can always flip over to landscape for that, and not have to scroll as much with 768 vs. 600, again).

The thing you lose out on with the Vizio tablet is the flip side of the benefits just mentioned... it's not as narrow when holding it in portrait mode.  That's one thing that's really nice about the NC (only 5" wide), which is great for one-handed use.  For ePub documents that automatically fit, that's a great experience (and for PDF's, not so much).

- Mark

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Deadpoe wrote:

tenagail wrote:

I totally agree.  At least if I had been drinking Pepsi.

Chuck4prez, I think I love you.

Deadpoe, not familiar with any posts you have made concerning the cookbook, so don't know if you were able to identify my mention of the cookbook as satire.  How I really feel. If you have professed your admiration in error, I hear it is possible to remove laurels. If not, well who couldn't use a fan base?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

tenagail wrote:

Carbonation is dangerous, and I apologize for any pain I have caused. Hopefully, it was starting to go flat...?:smileyindifferent: I hope this does not hurt my chances of getting a sample of the chocolate curls you have planned...