Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
assagai
0 Kudos

Lousy pdf support in Nook color

About a week ago I tested Nook color at one of the stores.

I’ve been waiting for a color version for a while because it is critical for me to be able to read my textbooks with color illustrations.

Most of my pdf files (standard e-books) are pretty big, typically from 50 to 400 mb.

I selected a couple of them (70 and 250 mb)

The files open pretty fast. However each and every picture cannot be displayed. Instead I get a crossed picture placeholder.

The very same file opened on a notebook I brought with me for the test with all pictures in place.

I suspect that the considerable size of the file has to do with this problem. The shop assistant tried to help me to no avail as there are almost no options to play with. I am very glad that I never ordered it despite many persuasions from the sales staff.

It is sad that the product has not been tested properly before release. Evidently, product spec is misleading and incorrect because it lacks full-fledged pdf support.

Is B&N aware of the problem?

Does B&N intend to fix it and when?

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

Re: Lousy pdf support in Nook color

Dunno what's wrong with your device then I have several pdfs on mines. 5 are graphic novels and some are work related, have not had a problem like that yet.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Frequent Contributor
CandyNJ66
0 Kudos

I just loaded a bunch of PDF magazines with the Calibre software to my Nook Color and they all look fine. Haven't had your problem with PDFs. Did you try other PDF files?
Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, not every PDF is made the same.  If you were to have saved the PDF as a generic PDF, my guess is that there wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think there's anything B&N can do to have the nook be able to open the seemingly infinite possibilities of PDFs with various embedded image formats, etc.  It's akin to all the codecs that are out there for sound files.

Annoying, but pretty universal among so called universal file formats.

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Gtriever
0 Kudos

Trazy wrote:

Unfortunately, not every PDF is made the same.  If you were to have saved the PDF as a generic PDF, my guess is that there wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think there's anything B&N can do to have the nook be able to open the seemingly infinite possibilities of PDFs with various embedded image formats, etc.  It's akin to all the codecs that are out there for sound files.

Annoying, but pretty universal among so called universal file formats.

I suspect this is your problem.  Can you tell what the image format is?

Contributor
assagai
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

thanks everybody for the feedback

I'll try to answer your questions

this is not my device. it's a store demo unit.

it does open smaller pdf files including e-magazines (25-40 mb in size)

I never claimed that it does not open any pdf file. I was concerned that it will not handle big files (250 mb and over) and so far my suspicions were justified.

It would be nice to know if anyone actually was able to open pdf files bigger than 250 mb (better 300-400 mb).

I strongly disagree with 2 latter posts.

I did not create these files myself. These are textbooks produced professionally by various publishers (they come as supplement to a paper book). I thought that e-book support was the main feature of Nook.

I am aware of different image formats, which could be embedded in pdf. Based on what I see they are mostly JPGs and some GIFs.

Again, the files open perfectly in my laptop with the help of a standard Adobe reader. I never downloaded a single “codec” or update for my adobe reader, nevertheless it miraculously can open these files. Which is iron-clad proof to me that these are regular files (i.e. without unusual image formats)

I do not expect Nook be able to deal with all variety of sub-formats. However I deem it necessary to be able to open all pdf files, which could be handled by Adobe Reader in order to claim adequate pdf support. Not an unreasonable request, isn’t it?

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

Take your pdf and run it through calibre, and retry it at your store. I am very interested in your results.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Frequent Contributor
Zion21
0 Kudos

I think the problem is the size of the pdf you are trying to use. Even 200MB seems like a lot for one document and I doubt the kindle has the ram to handle such big files. Maybe try seperating them into smaller files?

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

I suspect he has purchased some text books, or professional books which contain a *ton* of pages and embedded color graphic images.  

If DRM is involved he may not have the option of using Calibre to re-edit them.

Personally I think either:

(a) 400mb is just too darn big for the e-reader to handle in  just one book.

or

(b) The embedded images are encoded in some format not understood by the nook (24-bit PNG with transparency? Gif?, etc..)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
New User
SeekingReality
0 Kudos

Assagai

you raise a very valid topic ... limited PDF support on the NookColor.

I have owned my NookColor for eleven days.  Reason for buying it - I read a lot of technology/science docs, magazines and books (all PDF format) on my PC and desired a smaller, instant-on, color screen device.

Functionally the i-Pad meets my needs but is too large; the Samsung Tablet is the right size but I can’t justify the price.   For me the ColorNook has the perfect form factor, very nice screen, easy connectivity to my PC, and the right set of apps. 

I agree with you that the BN literature and salespeople are misleading with regard to PDFs.  I tested the device and read the literature before purchasing, but discovered the following after purchase:  1) you can not search text within PDF files, 2) PDF app does not support bookmarks, 3) PDF app doesn’t support “press and hold” (i.e., you can’t select text, highlight text – no “Reading Tools” in PDF app), 4) at times the “pinch”  gesture (in PDF app)  is not very precise, 5) if you are reading a PDF file and the device “goes to sleep”, turning the device on will return you to the page you were reading, however you can not change from the PDF app to another app (e.g., web) and back to your previous PDF page (you have to re-open the PDF file and use the “go to page” button).

The problem … the BN literature implies these capabilities are available for all file types.  I  asked the salesperson before purchasing if I could “text search”, highlight, bookmark in PDF files.  She assured me I could. 

After purchasing I called tech support and they confirmed that all of the above features are only available on files downloaded from BN.  No estimate as to when support will be available on PDF files. 

This lack of PDF capability is puzzling as these are very basic features on PDF readers.   PDF readers available on i-Pad, Samsung Tablet, my PC and even the HTC EVO all support these capabilities.  If BN knew the capabilities were important enough to include on their downloads why not include same support on PDFs?    At a minimum they should clearly point this out in the literature.

With regard to large file sizes … I have observed that the NookColor PDF app does not handle large(er) files as well as other available PDF readers. I tested the same files on the i-Pad, Samsung Tab, laptop and EVO with no problems.  On the NookColor, in addition to the abovementioned limitations, page turns are extremely slow compared to these other devices.  Taking 3, 4 even 5 seconds (for files in the 2MB to 30MB range; the larger the file the slower the page turn).  I tried a 100MB+ file on the NookColor and performance was completely unacceptable.    In general I’m sure that memory size and internal bus speed on the NookColor play a role (as data is swapped into/out of memory) but I think the PDF app is the prime cause.

Finally, I haven’t experienced image rendering problems as you describe but I have experienced garbled text.   Text in a very popular PDF book was completely illegible on the NookColor although all of the abovementioned devices rendered the text properly.  Some people have posted that your PDF versions are to blame.  I downloaded the NookColor User Guides and Manuals onto my NookColor and experienced all of the above except the garbled text.

My bottom line … 1) I think BN has chosen the wrong PDF app for the NookColor; 2) it is easy to get the impression from BN literature that the reading experience is the same across all file types – this is currently not the case and they should be more explicit.   Also BN’s tech support is seriously lacking

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Maybe the images are CMYK rather than RGB. That's generally what prevents an otherwise usable bitmap image to not display in an email.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Just an FYI...

NOOKcolor PDF handling and Library Sorting

PDF handling is significantly improved.  We're using Quickoffice's PDF viewer which supports multi-touch pan-and-zoom capabilities. 

There is a "My Files" option in Library that will show you the folder layout for sideloaded documents.  However, if you place your ebooks under the folder "My Files/Books", they'll also show up in the "Books" section of the Library, combined with your B&N purchases.  It doesn't matter what subdirectory they are in, as long as they are under "My Files/Books".  This works for the on-device memory as well as for the microSD card.

The "My Files" section of the library can't be sorted.  However the "Books", "Magazines" and "Newspapers" sections can be sorted.  Any sideloaded documents in those sections will also be sorted.

We're using QuickOffice's suite to view PDF files. We have a custom version of the Quickoffice suite created for Barnes & Noble.  It is a read-only version (no editing supported).

Contributor
djelliott
0 Kudos

Thoughts:

I have 'old' Nook that sometimes displays PDFs in weird ways. Converting in Calibre usually cleans it up.

Your file is probably DRM, so all bets are off.

Failures to render are often due to memory  & processor issues. It's not really fair to compare the Nook to full-blown netbooks or tablets.

Yes, it is disturbing, yet typical, for features and specs to be vague--and worse when salespeople are added. I want a pay-as-you-go T-Mobile cell phone that syncs with MS Outlook. Try and get a salesperson suggest the right model!

One of the main factors for getting a Nook over the Kindle was the Nook's support of file types, especially PDFs.  Go figure.

Frequent Contributor
GuzziAlfa
0 Kudos

I purchased a 32 GB microSDHC card type 2 or 4 - couldn't find a type 6 in 32 GB size - found type 10 but specs say max type 6.  I could not format it on the nookcolor at all.  Formatted it on a Win7 pc as FAT32 - the only choice in 64 bit Win 7.  Copied over 250mb worth of 37 pdf magazines from various sources.  They all worked fine on traditional nook and Kindle II and Kindle III.  I wanted the nookcolor specifically for these magazines in the 32 gb size.

Under my files - I put them in the magazines folder - nookcolor couldn't find them.  Moved them over to my documents - still couldn't find them.  I see them fine when I USB attach the nookcolor to the pc.

I did a nookcolor search for *.pdf and it found all of them - once and once only.  I was able to open one randomly too.  Never again though.

Color me disturbed and confused.  There's no FAQ for this problem either.

John S.

Inspired Contributor
bchau
0 Kudos

I hope when the B&N App store is up, there is an Adobe Reader available for users to download. That may solve the problems some users are complaining. Adobe Reader is already available free at the Android Marketplace.

Contributor
Talon132
0 Kudos

My G2 phone with Android has quick office.  It's ok but I am able to download Adobe Reader from the Android apps store.  MUCH better than quick office which is fine if you only wish to read a single page or two.  But as for me, I purchased the Nookcolor as a pdf reader for work.  Not being able to word search and scroll like you can with the ebooks is a killer.  If the app store is not up and Adobe Reader not avalible shortly, I am just going to return the Nookcolor. 

Nice try for pdf support but it, as of now, it is a swing and a miss. 

New User
CorinaJ

I haven't had any issues reading my PDF magazine subscriptions on my new color nook. My only issue is not being able to bookmark the pages, does anyone know how to do that with PDFs on this device? It's a bit frustrating to have to flip all the way back through to find my place because the page numbers in the table of contents don't align correctly when I try to flip to the articles, I usually get an ad page or something random.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to get through this?

Thanks

Contributor
ktjoneslv
0 Kudos

I just noticed that I have the same PDF problem with images on my nook color.  The PDF works fine on my nook, but I get the red crossed where images should be on the nookcolor.  The file has no DRM.  It is large, and does have lots of images.

New User
WillT
0 Kudos

I just love my NC, but the PDF support needs some improvement. IMHO, it needs:

- search funcionality

- ability to create/delete bookmarks

- when opening the same file again, go back to the last page viewed

- allow highlighting and dictionary access

The last one is more of a nice to have, but the first three are basic stuff.

To the BN people in this forum, can I go to quickoffice's website and get the full (paid) version? If not, are there any plans to add these features to NC's PDF support?

Thanks - and congrats for a great product!

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

If B&N is serious about supporting pdf reading they should integrate the Adobe Reader. At least that is the base standard for pdf functionality. I suspect many of the other pdf libraries are missing some types of compression or other pieces of base functionality. On a normal Android tablet, if one app fails to open a pdf, you can try one of several others available. If B&N are going to bake in just one app, it ought to be Adobe's.