Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

MP4 download Sites?

Has anyone found a site on the internet where you can download MP4 Movies. I have been searching and the number of bogus sites is staggering. I have no problem paying for a movie as long as the quality is good. Any suggestions?

:smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Correspondent
ShellyStark
0 Kudos

Re: MP4 download Sites?

try Kickasstorrents.com even if you can't get the movie you're looking for you can convert it using handbrake and it plays nicely on the NC.

"He needs you, and that's very me.
-Ten"
Contributor
quilt-diva
0 Kudos

Is there somewhere that explains how to do "handbrake" and "kickasstorrents.com"? I'd love to watch movies on my NC Like if you had a netflix account.

Thanks

New User
trimeows
0 Kudos

Is it Youtube videos or other videos in general? If it is youtube, I found a really good site. It is downloadfreeyoutube.com. It's free, pretty fast, and has a variety of different types of files. The only problem is that the computer thinks that it has a pop-up from that site when the videos are loading, but you just have to hit 'allow pop-ups temporarily'.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

I'm not real comfortable with "torrent" sites. To many horror stories about infected files. I'm looking for reputable sites that sell full movies. The few tha I have found don't have MP4 format. I may have to subscribe to one and get some conversion software. I was just hoping to find acsite that has MP4 movies I could download, put on my sd and enjoy. I'm kinda lazy when it comes to this sorta thing: )
Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

I have DVDCatalyst and am very pleased with it.

Tech support is excellent.

Look under tools4movies

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

my9cats wrote:

I have DVDCatalyst and am very pleased with it.

Tech support is excellent.

Look under tools4movies

I bought DVD Catalyst a couple of days ago. It's fantastic and the movies it produces play beautifully on the Nook Color. For $10.00 the program is a steal.

I'm going to spend the next few days ripping a bunch of movies to MP4.

Heck, I'm actually toying with the idea of setting up a web server at home so I can watch any of my ripped movies on my Nook without having to load them on the device itself. Should be pretty easy to do, actually.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Thanks for the Youtube site trimeows. I dwnloaded Dave Mathews, Grave Digger. Not the best quality vid (prob the conversion process??) it is still doable

Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Thanks for the Youtube site trimeows. I dwnloaded Dave Mathews, Grave Digger. Not the best quality vid (prob the conversion process??) it is still doable

I also have DVDCatalyst and highly recommend it.  You can rip movies from your own DVDs directly into the MP4 format that plays high quality on the NC.  I've already spent the last couple of days loading my DVD collection one by one into my DVD drive, ripping and loading them onto my NC and they play beautifully!
The road goes ever on.....
Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

Heck, I'm actually toying with the idea of setting up a web server at home so I can watch any of my ripped movies on my Nook without having to load them on the device itself. Should be pretty easy to do, actually.

I have this working with a webserver.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/HOWTO-Movie-Video-Streaming/m-p/...

Couple of changes:

Need to enable video streaming in DVD Catalyst

Refer to server by ip address

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

mogulman wrote:

I have this working with a webserver.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/HOWTO-Movie-Video-Streaming/m-p/...

Couple of changes:

Need to enable video streaming in DVD Catalyst

Refer to server by ip address

Thanks for the info! Didn't realize I'd have to re-rip these movies. Good thing I found out sooner rather than later.

Will the files play when copied to the Nook if they're built with the streaming option checked?

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

I'm not sure the 800 mhz cpu in the Nookcolor will do well with streamed MP4 from a home server.  DVDCatalyst is the pro here so he can correct any wrong info and guide us.  Netflix streaming is with an optimize format and localized app capable of using that format.  I used to have a 900mhz PC and it could stream but depending on the site it could be glitchy.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

BEWARE of going to torrent download sites!  You better have top notch Antivirus running and know how to use it!  I use Sandboxie + Avast +SuperAntispyware + Malwarebytes +Winpatrol, malwarebytes is not running I only use for post detection clean up.  Sandboxie runs my firefox browser in a sandbox, isolated from system and OS, so if a virus pops up it is inside the sandbox and all I have to do is close the sandbox and delete contents.  Worked every time until TODAY! On the torrent site already mentioned in one of the posts above, I wasn't even downloading all I was doing was browsing the torrents, when a Malware attack occured, I couldn't close the sandbox, and delete contents, the malware attack locked up everything.  I finally was able to close the sandbox via taskmanager, and delete contents. However I do a file check on all files created in the time frame of the attack, there was two files remaining at the c: root.  Instead of deleting them I rebooted into Safe mode, ran malwarebytes zero infection, ran Avast deep scan, Avast finds the two files, I click delete in Avast.  Reboot, do the file check and the two malware files are still there, I was able to delete the two files, rerun Avast no more infections.

Why tell you the long story?  Sandboxies works, but this was the first Attack that managed to get files outside of the sandbox, Sandboxie was able to slow the attack down and eliminate some of the additional files especially registry changes inside the sandbox, making it possible to delete the malware.  I can only imagine how bad the infection might have been if I had not been running Sandboxie.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

"Viruses?"   What are those?

*Ducks and runs for cover under his Linux boxes.*

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst

Sorry for the late responses. I've been swamped the last couple of days, so my forum-digging time has been quite limited.

Anyway, for video, the NOOKcolor can handle 1500Kbps H264 at a resolution of 854x480. Audio can be up to 160Kbps, AAC Stereo. The secret is that the NOOKcolor, as well as most Android and iDevices, uses video acceleration for files encoded in the proper format. Because of this, the low-power processor doesn't have to do anything for video decoding. If you would play the same files on a PC, you would need something along the lines of a 1.2Ghz processor.

Most of the samples I have in my Movie Trailer thread are encoded using those settings.

For streaming, I have a simple, free MP4 Streaming Server program, which works great on your home-network. It creates a website on your computer with links to the video files you already have, and all you need to do is visit the website it creates on your NOOK's webbrowser and tap on the link for the movie/tv show you want to watch, and it will stream.

If you want to stream files over the internet, you have to make sure your internet upload speed is high enough for the quality settings you use. This is usually quite a bit lower than your download speed. (I have a 10Mbit DSL connection, but my uploadspeed is "only" 1mbit)

If you visit a internet speed test site like dslreports, it will display your download as well as your upload speed.

The upload speed is the maximum quality setting you could use for streaming. If you get something like 800Kbps, the total quality of your video file should not be higher than that, so you could use 650Kbps for video and 128Kbps for audio, totalling 778 Kbps. If you go higher than the upload speed (for example the 1500Kbps+160Kbps used in my samples) you would have to wait a minute for it to load half a minute of video.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Yo dvdcatalyst, as always your input is dead on and helpful for us uninitiated.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

LOL. I had to skim-read the thread a bit to catch up, so forgive me if I missed something.

The cool thing about the NOOKcolor is that its underestimated. I know I did when I started getting the first questions about it, but when I finally picked one up, I was amazed. Who knew that a $250 eReader would be capable of video playback at such high quality settings. I have more pricy devices that don't even come close to what it can do.

Here is the link to the trailer-thread I mentioned:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Movie-Trailers-for-your-NOOK-Str...

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Okay, dvdcatalyst, let me ask you this.  Is 1500kps the highest video bitrate the NC will handle?

Also, what is a good value for "bitrate tolerance?"  I'm trying to manhandle ffmpeg into going directly from .vob files to the end .mp4 (since you refuse to port to Linux  :smileytongue: ).  ffmpeg says this about the "-bt" flag:

-bt tolerance
           Set video bitrate tolerance (in bits, default 4000k).  Has a minimum value of: (target_bitrate/target_framerate).  In 1-pass mode, bitrate tolerance specifies how far ratecontrol is willing to deviate from the target average bitrate value. This is not related to min/max bitrate. Lowering tolerance too much has an adverse effect on quality.

I'm testing on Firefly disk 1, title/track 3, and it appears to be 720x480.  Passing that aspect ratio straight through to the NC results in the video looking "too tall." Squeezed, as it were. What dimensions should I be shooting for as an end-result?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Okay, dvdcatalyst, let me ask you this.  Is 1500kps the highest video bitrate the NC will handle?

Also, what is a good value for "bitrate tolerance?"  I'm trying to manhandle ffmpeg into going directly from .vob files to the end .mp4 (since you refuse to port to Linux  :smileytongue: ).  ffmpeg says this about the "-bt" flag:

-bt tolerance
           Set video bitrate tolerance (in bits, default 4000k).  Has a minimum value of: (target_bitrate/target_framerate).  In 1-pass mode, bitrate tolerance specifies how far ratecontrol is willing to deviate from the target average bitrate value. This is not related to min/max bitrate. Lowering tolerance too much has an adverse effect on quality.

I'm testing on Firefly disk 1, title/track 3, and it appears to be 720x480.  Passing that aspect ratio straight through to the NC results in the video looking "too tall." Squeezed, as it were. What dimensions should I be shooting for as an end-result?

Actually, the NOOKcolor is capable of quite a bit more in terms of video quality. I managed to play a trailer of Battle LA (1080 version, cropped and resized to match the exact 854x480 resolution of the NC) at 4000Kbps.

The -bt flag of ffmpeg is basically used as compensation. With 1-pass conversions, the conversion tool (ffmpeg in your case) tries to store as much info from the frame as possible, based on the difference of the frame and the keyframe. When there is a lot of difference (think explosions or even an ocean view with lots of rolling waves) the required data spikes up for a brief moment, and this is where the tolerance comes in. With the NOOK being capable of handling 4000, you don't have to worry about it, but if you are using the files on a less powerful device, you might end up with an error message about unplayable file when it reaches that point in the movie. Even if the movie plays fine at the beginning, if the bitrate spikes to an unsupported value, it will stop there.

If you limit the tolerance, the spike will be less, but you will experience blockyness during the faster moving scenes.

As for your resolution issue, you have to apply the aspect ratio to the 720x480. ALL NTSC DVDs have a resolution of 720x480 (PAL is something of 720x576), but the aspect ratio determines if the movie is wide of standard screen. In most cases, you end up with 848x480 or something along those lines.

If you play your VOB in mplayer, it should give you a line at the file data displayed before the playback actually begins that looks kinda like this:

vo > x 720x480 => 854x480.

Use the last part for the resolution of your created file, as long as it doesn't exceed 854x480. If it is bigger, you will have to do a screensize calculation to make it fit.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Okay, cool.  Thanks!  :smileyhappy:

But if I try to set the output size to 854x480, ffmpeg warns, "[libx264 @ 0x174a820]width or height not divisible by 16 (854x480), compression will suffer."

Is that a problem?

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.