Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
shima
0 Kudos

MP4 videos don't play

I just purchased a Nook Color and have side-loaded 3 MP4 videos oto it. I placed them in the Video folder within the My Files folder. When I try to run the videos I get the message "Sorry, this video cannot be played". I know that MP4 is the correct format. The video was created on a Flip Video camera and I created a movie within the FlipShare software. Don't know what else I can do. I've consulted with tech support but the procedure that was suggested doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: MP4 videos don't play

From the NC FAQ:

"Your NOOK Color supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480
Your NOOK Color will not support the following video file formats: Mov/qt; AVI; MKV; Xvid/divx; WMV / VC-1; H.264 Main and High profile; and videos with a resolution higher than 854x480"

Check the resolution of the video. That is usually the problem.

New User
shima
0 Kudos

Re: MP4 videos don't play

Thank you for the help and quick response. FYI: for future reference. I opened the file in QuickTime on my Mac and did a "Save For Web" > Export for the iPhone. This solved the problem.

The problem seems to be specific to videos created on the Flip Video or those files that are too large. Saving for the web always reduces the file size and that seems to be the solution.