Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Magazine Issues Missing!

I tried getting some help in the actual newstand portion of this board, but got no response, so I'll try it here instead.  

I have 7 magazine subscriptions and recently while in the grocery store I noticed a new issue of one of those (Reader's Digest) and found it odd that I didn't recognize the cover, which meant it hadn't downloaded to my Nook Color yet.  When I got home I checked and I was correct, the magazine had never downloaded to my Nook.  So, I came onto the site and went to see if the issue was shown and it was.  So, I clicked "Archive" on the issue and then "Make Active" and I was still unable to get this issue on my Nook Color.  I thought maybe it was just delayed online for some reason and was patiently awaiting it to arrive, but then I got the November issue last night.  So, it is just like October was skipped completely.  This got me looking at my other subscriptions to see if any of those were missing and it turns out there were several.

So, even though BN.com shows that I have the October Issue of Reader's Digest in my library, I'm unable to actually read it, while the other three magazines that are missing issues don't even show up on BN.com.  I had to google those to find out if I was in fact missing issues that I'd paid for.  So, I'd like to know what can be done to fix this.  I hate paying for a magazine and not getting it, so if it can't be resolved, I guess I'll cancel all of my subscriptions and go back to the paper versions.

These are the issues that are missing:

Reader's Digest:  October 2011 (Shows up in my library online, but won't let me download it on my Nook Color)

National Geographic:  September 2011 (Cover article is "Can we fly?")  This issue doesn't even show up on this site

Popular Mechanics:  October 2011 (Cover article is "Build your own plane!")  This issue doesn't show on this site

Popular Science:  October 2011 (Cover article is "The Search for Alien Life")  This issue doesn't show on this site

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Re: Magazine Issues Missing!

[ Edited ]

While continuing to try to solve my own problem (since I get no response from B&N ever), I have at least made it possible to see that the issues of National Geographic, Popular Science and Popular Mechanics are available.  Somehow when I opened up my Nook for PC program on my computer about a month ago, it "downloaded" those issues to my computer.  

I put downloaded in quotes, because even though it said the magazines were available, if I tried to open them on my computer I got "This title is currently not available for download for this application".  Fine!  Didn't want to read them on there anyhow.  So, I clicked "Archive" on all three of those magazines and they vanished.  Now, when I come to "My Library" here on this site, I can at least see those issues covers underneath the "Archived" portion.  

Still can't get them on my Nook Color, but I have made some progress.  

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Looking into this even more and it seems that whenever I click, "Unarchive" here on this site it shows that magazine in my Nook for PC program again (can't read it there, but it shows as no longer archived).  So, it appears to me that these issues are somehow tied to that program now and I can't seem to get them unassociated with it and back with my Nook Color.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
0 Kudos

Ozman69,

Please PM with your account info (email, serial number) so I can regroup with our internal teams and sort this out for you.

Thanks!

-Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Information sent.  Thanks for the help.

Contributor
dianer69
0 Kudos

If possible, can you please let me know what was done for you.  I have the exact same problem with my Reader's Digest issue for October.  I have tried to archive it, and unarchive it to no avail.  The EXACT same problem as you.  I have also received my November issue.  I also can see it in my B&N online library, but not on my nook. 

When I originally called they wanted me to de-register and re-register my nook which is usually their stardard solution for everything.  I have not done this yet because it would be more of a pain to do this as I have many books sideloaded and would have to re-sideload everything.  I would rather forgo the October issue of Reader's Digest than to have to go through this entire process of de-registering.  Upon checking my credit card, I was also charged for the October issue, but could never download it.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

dianer69 wrote:

If possible, can you please let me know what was done for you.  I have the exact same problem with my Reader's Digest issue for October.  I have tried to archive it, and unarchive it to no avail.  The EXACT same problem as you.  I have also received my November issue.  I also can see it in my B&N online library, but not on my nook. 

When I originally called they wanted me to de-register and re-register my nook which is usually their stardard solution for everything.  I have not done this yet because it would be more of a pain to do this as I have many books sideloaded and would have to re-sideload everything.  I would rather forgo the October issue of Reader's Digest than to have to go through this entire process of de-registering.  Upon checking my credit card, I was also charged for the October issue, but could never download it.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

I sure can.  As soon as I hear anything back from them, I'll post it right here.  And I was also worried that their response will be "erase it and start over".  If I end up with that as well, I probably won't bother for the same reasons you mentioned.

Contributor
Kyyrie
0 Kudos

I am also interested to hear what is done since I too have had this problem I called B&N twice and was told they are working the issue. I too have received my November issue but not the October issue.Please keep us posted! Thanks.
Contributor
dianer69
0 Kudos

Still not syncing to the nook yet, but if you have Nook for PC you can read it there.  All you have to do is sync nook for pc and hover over the current issue of readers digest.  You then click details and click "read now" on the previous edition.  At least you will be able to read the October edition.  It is just frustrating that you can't read it on your nook yet.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

For those who asked to be kept in the loop, I'm still waiting for assistance.  

New User
loreen812LH
0 Kudos

I am having the same issue! My October issue is missing. I have tried archiving and activating it. B&N told me to do the "synch" function, but that is not working either. So frustrating!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Yeah, it has been a month now and still nothing from B&N other than, "we're looking into it"... They could at least refund my money on the three magazines that they never delivered.  I'd expect the same if I never received paper magazines in the mail and they weren't able to resend them.  

New User
KristyDM
0 Kudos

I would go to one of the stores. Had a problem similar to this and they fixed it in store. They did have to deregister and re-register, update to latest OS, and I think something else. I had already gone through this process a couple of times (because of below issue) on the phone or online chat. Since I was having that and another problem regularly (every few weeks or other month, machine would shut down and all sideloads would be lost) they approved to have a new (refurbished) one sent. I have not encountered any problem since and all past issues downloaded fine (after I made sure the latest OS was installed.) 

Also, there seeme to be an issue of a period of time (2 weeks?) where my credit card expired. Those issues would be in the group that caused problems (would not download.)