Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Major (and potentially ugly) Change to the NOOKcolor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if I'm the last one to notice this, but I just became aware of a change that B&N has recently made with the NC.  On their Tech Specs page, it now reads:

"*** 1GB = 1 billion bytes; Actual formatted capacity may be less. Approximately 5GB available to store content, of which up to 4GB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store."

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/features/techspecs/index.asp?cds2Pid=35607

We all know, and had numerous discussions long ago, that of the 8 GB of internal memory on the NC, that 3 GB was reserved for system use, and the other 5 GB was ours to do with as we liked.  So books, magazines, movies, music, whatever, it was all available for us to use for either media purchased from B&N, or sideloaded.  That now appears to be changing, and for several reasons.

B&N is now saying that they may take away up to 4 of those 5 GB of internal storage, and allow it to be used exclusively for apps and other content (books, mags, etc) purchased from them.  Only 1 GB will remain available for sideloaded content you obtained elsewhere.  In my book, that's a pretty big change, but I'm not seeing any announcements about it.  Did I miss a memo?

The impression that I am getting (which I hope is incorrect) is that new units, purchased with the 1.2 update preinstalled will already have this change in effect.  And that B&N will be willing to modify (repartition) older units for customers, if they choose to bring them in to the store. That last info is courtesy of Wyldhare (thanks!), who mentioned it in a thread on "Out of App Memory".  That's what got me looking into this in the first place.

What is starting to happen is folks buying many of the new "enhanced book" type of "apps" in the Shop are getting messages about running out of space.  And not being happy when told that only a few will fit, and they'll need to shuffle them in and out via the Archive mechanism.  This is resulting from the fact that many of the enhanced book type "apps" being sold are simply humungous (100-200 MB in size), and are rapidly filling the "limited" 900 MB space initially reserved for apps.  (And plenty big enough for over 200 normal-size apps.)  So B&N's expedient solution is to take back the majority of the space, and lock it down. 

For those who want to buy lots of these books/apps, this may be acceptable or even preferable to them.  It will mean they can then have as many as 50, instead of as few as 8 of these apps (mostly kids books).  It bears mentioning that this is NOT the only way this problem could be dealt with, and I've proposed several alternatives elsewhere.  However, it does serve the additional purpose of benefit to B&N, of "encouraging" purchases from B&N, because they're now reserving 80% of the space exclusively for that purpose.  If you don't fill it with content from them, that's 4 GB out of the 8 GB they advertise that's wasted.

My concern is that this isn't the way it's been in the past, and many folks going out to buy their first NookColors may be unaware of it.  Especially if they're getting information and recommendations from current owners, or things they've read in the press.  And some may NOT be happy about this change.  What it will mean is that if a lot of your content is sideloaded, you will have had an extra 4 GB hijacked, and you may wind up never using a large portion of it. 

To me, that's totally unacceptable, but others may feel differently.  And while B&N is certainly free to make changes in their product that will be sold to new customers (all companies are), I certainly hope they don't try and make this change retroactive to previous sales.  It also means I am free to make new potential new customers aware of the change, and adjust my recommendations as a result. 

However, B&N sneaking something like this in in "stealth-mode" is not something I'd expect from a reputable corporation.  But the wording on their Spec Page is unambiguous and leaves no question about the potential ramifications.

- Mark

Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid
0 Kudos

Re: Major (and potentially ugly) Change to the NOOKcolor

While this is indeed very interesting and I do agree with you that if it is done without letting people know then it is unfair and unacceptable I dont really see it as much of a problem or something that would make people change their mind about purchasing a Nook Color. If it is just the issue of space left for other files etc. you have to remember that you can always expand the memory with an SD card. As I said I totally agree that it should be announced if it is what they are doing but it doesnt really bother me as far as just the issue of space is concerned.
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

I'm not sure that I totally agree with you on this.  When I purchased my NC, I assumed that the internal memory was for BN content as, just like with a computer, that is where these software functions would perform best.  If I wanted to puchase content from other sources, I assumed that I would load them onto a micro SD card.  It's common sense, and I fail to see why everything has to be spelled out so literally, else people grab virtual cardboard signs and start a virtual picket line of how unfairly they are being treated.

This is small stuff.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

Frequent Contributor
Mike1995

I think that is significant.  I purchased the NC the week the update was released and it was preloaded with 1.2.  Most of the content I will be loading will be sideloaded, not books purchased from BN.  And I am not really buying many apps either, so those 4GB will likely be wasted.  What I've been noticing, is content I sideload on the SD card, such as photos, load slower on the SD card than the on the NC, so I've been sideloading on the NC.  Now maybe I need a faster card, I have a class 4, but if that isn't the issue, than that 1 GB is going to go very fast for me.  And if and when I get to the point I fill up my SD, I'll be maxed out when I could potentially use another 4GB.  I think advertising it as 8GB internal storage, where 7 GB is reserved from NC software and BN content only, is a bit misleading.

Correspondent
musicmama2010

I agree with Mark. What I liked about the NC while researching was that there was lots of memory available. What I experienced in my first NC was that the card slot is very fragile and ultimately quit allowing me to switch cards. If B&N is going to take away my music/video space then the use of the device drops from being multi-purpose to being read-only or maybe read and game-only and takes away a lot of value for me. My goal is to carry fewer devices around, not more. I don't want to go back to a separate media player after just giving it up. Of course, I could see this as also encouraging me to root to get that functionality and space back. But I don't see that as their intent.
Correspondent
musicmama2010
0 Kudos

This just occurred to me. The HSN release stressed how much memory was available. And they talked about it being 5GB. If I purchased based on that,I would not be thinking that the 5GB would really only be 1GB available . That would make comparisons to the new tablets and ipad impossible because they all have more space. Just a thought .....
Contributor
Wyldhare

Just wanted to add a bit of additional info. The repartition option is only that, an option. It is not being forced on anyone, nor is it a change to the Nooks being sold with 1.2 already installed. This is just meant to be something people can do if they don't wish to archive so much. Personal content can still go on SD cards. Good or bad, I think it really depends on how you want to use your Nook. Just my two cents....
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

What would we do without Mark. You are always so informative and bring great discussions to this forum filled with great knowledge and research. BTW...I aso agree with you.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244

[ Edited ]

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding about where stuff is stored on the device.  Here is the partition table on the NC:

dev/block/mmcblk0p1       1         9      72MB     c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
dev/block/mmcblk0p2      10      18       72MB    c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
dev/block/mmcblk0p3      19      56     305MB   83 Linux
dev/block/mmcblk0p4      57     935   7060MB    5 Extended
dev/block/mmcblk0p5      57     114     465MB  83 Linux
dev/block/mmcblk0p6     115     236     979MB  83 Linux
dev/block/mmcblk0p7     237     281     361MB   83 Linux
dev/block/mmcblk0p8     282     935    5253MB   c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
dev/block/mmcblk1p1 ??? ??? ???MB c Win95 FAT32 (LBA) -- optional SDcard

Here is the mounted partition list:

dev/block/mmcblk0p1    /boot    (not mounted after booting)
dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom (device-specific data)
dev/block/mmcblk0p3 --- (recovery partition to original factory content)
dev/block/mmcblk0p4 --- (Extended partition, containing the following partitions)
dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system (system programs, mounted read-only)
dev/block/mmcblk0p6 /data (application programs that don't require root, plus data)
dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /cache (cache partition)
dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /media (the visible user storage area on the device)
dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /sdcard (your SDcard if present)

Apps ARE NOT stored in the /media (5GB) partition;  they are stored in the /data partition, in directory /data/app.  The /data partition is the size that may be adjusted by B&N.  Of course, if/when that happens, space will be taken from the /media partition, but note that if you increase the /data partition to 4GB, that will leave approximately 2GB in the /media partition.

Note that books go into the /media partition.

Since anyone sideloading significant content can easily and cheaply use an SDcard, what this really affects is those who dual boot, where both systems are on the internal memory, because that mod creates two new partitions for the new /system and /data partitions, totalling a bit over 1GB of space.  That would leave /media somewhat less than 1GB of space.  That still makes a usable device, but things can get tight ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

By the way, here is a table of how much is used on a NC 1.2 (unrooted) with only two B&N books (in /media) but about 6B of sideloaded content in /sdcard):

/rom: 72134K total, 40K used, 72094K available (block size 2048)
/system: 465853K total, 271946K used, 193907K available (block size 1024)
/data: 971344K total, 120032K used, 851312K available (block size 4096)
/cache: 350021K total, 8241K used, 341780K available (block size 1024)
/sdcard: 15549952K total, 6506848K used, 9043104K available (block size 32768)
/media: 3897288K total, 15132K used, 3882156K available (block size 4096)
/boot: 71133K total, 10311K used, 60821K available (block size 512)

The only thing atypical in my setup from a fresh NC 1.2 is that I've got a bit of multi-boot junk in /boot, which I think would otherwise only have about 3MB in use.

Inspired Correspondent
UndeadPoet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding about where stuff is stored on the device.  Here is the partition table on the NC:

Apps ARE NOT stored in the /media (5GB) partition;  they are stored in the /data partition, in directory /data/app.  The /data partition is the size that may be adjusted by B&N.  Of course, if/when that happens, space will be taken from the /media partition, but note that if you increase the /data partition to 4GB, that will leave approximately 2GB in the /media partition.

Note that books go into the /media partition.

Since anyone sideloading significant content can easily and cheaply use an SDcard, what this really affects is those who dual boot, where both systems are on the internal memory, because that mod creates two new partitions for the new /system and /data partitions, totalling a bit over 1GB of space.  That would leave /media somewhat less than 1GB of space.  That still makes a usable device, but things can get tight ...

So, Dean, does this make the internal dual-booting mod less of a viable option (or less desirable)?  I was considering trying this today, but now am not so sure.  I don't want to lose usable space.  Your opinion/advice please?

(Undead)Poet / Wizard / Teller-of-tales
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

I guess the short way to say the above, is that there is really about 6GB of space available on a NC (exclusive of the SDcard) for apps + user data.  Right now the partitioning gives about 1GB of space to apps, and about 5GB of space to books + user data.

Changing the partitioning is trivial to do, if you don't have to worry about user data (B&N books will be downloaded).  It's still easy to do if there is existing user data, unless the size of user data makes a reduction impossible.  Technically, I can see the "initial setup" screens asking users how they would like the 6GB to be allocated between apps and user data, but I can't see B&N doing that;  they like to insulate the user from all things technical when possible.

So, I seriously doubt that any update will resize the /media partition.  New devices, maybe.  However, one wonders as to what B&N really means by "Approximately 5GB available to store content, of which up to 4GB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store."

Perhaps what they are saying is, "Don't put more than 1GB of your own stuff in the user space, and then complain if a book download fails due to lack of space".  Nook apps are unaffected, since they are on the /data partition.

Clearly, without repartitioning, there is no effective way to prevent users from copying as much stuff as they want into the user space (/media).

Mark_OB1

[ Edited ]

Wyldhare wrote:
Just wanted to add a bit of additional info. The repartition option is only that, an option. It is not being forced on anyone, nor is it a change to the Nooks being sold with 1.2 already installed. This is just meant to be something people can do if they don't wish to archive so much. Personal content can still go on SD cards. Good or bad, I think it really depends on how you want to use your Nook. Just my two cents....

Wyldhare, thanks very much for the followup information! 

As I mentioned in the OP, I wasn't certain it was now the default on new devices, and if it's nothing more than an option B&N is offering to those "feeling the crunch" from huge children's book apps, then that's fine.  I have no problem with that (though I still think there are better ways), but if someone wants to take advantage of it, it gives them a very useful option.  Since it's their choice to make, I'd find it hard to argue with.

However, once you had clued me in to this, I immediately started doing some research, and found several things that concerned me.  One was the info published by B&N, which now indicated that space may be reallocated, without also confirming that was only an option.  That naturally leaves the door open to imposed default behavior, which as you commented initially, is NOT reversible.

But then I found this...

"Barnes & Noble has started shipping new NOOK Color devices that are partitioned to allow only 1 GB of "user sideloaded" storage. The remaining 7 GB are partitioned for the OS, apps from the new B&N Apps store, and items downloaded directly from B&N. For the typical (non-rooted) device, the user would have to use the microSD slot for additional storage. I suspect you got one of the newly partitioned devices, which is why you are now seeing only 1 GB instead of the previous 5 GB of storage available. "

http://androidforums.com/b-n-nookcolor/333668-format-internal-partition.html#post2672750

I also had read several other anecdotal comments on the interweb recently about both new and refurbished units coming with 1.2 and having reduced media space, which hadn't made any sense to me.  And I started to wonder.  So I decided to share the information here, in the hopes that those who might have a more definitive handle on things could clarify the situation. 

As I said, for those with small children, who'd like to have many enhanced kids books, without the hassle of constantly Archiving and Unarchiving them, this is a reasonable solution, and it's available now.  So that actually represents good responsiveness on the part of B&N in dealing with customer concerns.  If so, then that is to be applauded.  I suspect this is an option that would be very interesting to folks like Meg19...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Too-Many-Apps/m-p/986966/highlig...

If, OTOH, folks are buying them set up this way by default, and don't know about it until afterwards, then I'd have a problem with that, because no choice is then possible.  And people aren't being told of the change.  So maybe that's because, as you say, no such change has been made.

I would hope that anyone getting a new or refurbed unit recently would chime in if they have seen this change on their device.  But since it is "irreversable", it wouldn't surprise me to find it showing up on refurbed units, even if no new ones are shipping with it.  And thus, those replacing defective units could still get a potentially unpleasant surprise.  And with no recourse, since the (new) B&N terms clearly now state the reallocation.

- Mark

DeanGibson

[ Edited ]

UndeadPoet wrote:

So, Dean, does this make the internal dual-booting mod less of a viable option (or less desirable)?  I was considering trying this today, but now am not so sure.  I don't want to lose usable space.  Your opinion/advice please?

I seriously doubt that any update to existing units will create a problem (see my post which was just posted).

Internal dual boot (as opposed to SDcard dual boot) takes away slightly more than 1GB from user space (/media), leaving 3.9GB.  For me, I'm looking at getting the code that creates the whole dual boot code and making it triple boot (don't count on me doing this), leaving me with slightly more than 2.5GB on the existing device.  Since I have a 16GB SDcard and like the idea of having all my user data on an SDcard, the original 5GB (now 3.9 GB) of space on /media is completely wasted for me, and I don't mind it going to a useful cause (triple booting).

However, if you have significant B&N books (etc) purchased and downloaded into /media, potentially the loss of space Could be an issue.  Wild guess:  I think you can move that content to the SDcard, but I don't know if the NC software will then recognize that it's been moved, and if not, try to download it again into the /media card.  It's an interesting experiment to try (just mount the device on a Windows PC and move the contents of the "Books" folder from the internal card to the SD card).

ps:  Note that one of the significant limitations of internal dual boot, is that almost all the utilities that I am familiar with (principally RomManager and ClockworkRecovery) don't know about the internal dual-boot repartitioning.  So, if you make any significant changes to the contents of the "alternate" partition set and want to back it up, you are SOL.  So, I have adopted the following strategy:

• Install (or restore) OSes to the primary partition set.
  • After you get an OS set up the way you like it, back it up as a primary partition set.
  • Now copy the primary partition set to the alternate partition set.
  • Install something else to the primary partition set.
  • Etc.

This way, I have a backup of each OS as a primary partition set.  If I want to make signficant changes to the alternate partition set, I:

1. Back up the current primary partition set.
  2. Restore a backup of the alternate partition set (while it was still a primary partition set) to the primary partition set.
  3. Modify the primary partition set as desired.
  4. Backup the primary partition set.
  5. Copy the primary partition set to the alternate partition set.
  6. Restore the previous contents of the primary partition set.

As you can see, a bit of planning is needed when making significant changes.

Note that none of the above affects the /media partition, which remains accessible to all partition sets.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

But then I found this...

"Barnes & Noble has started shipping new NOOK Color devices that are partitioned to allow only 1 GB of "user sideloaded" storage. The remaining 7 GB are partitioned for the OS, apps from the new B&N Apps store, and items downloaded directly from B&N. For the typical (non-rooted) device, the user would have to use the microSD slot for additional storage. I suspect you got one of the newly partitioned devices, which is why you are now seeing only 1 GB instead of the previous 5 GB of storage available. "

http://androidforums.com/b-n-nookcolor/333668-format-internal-partition.html#post2672750

I also had read several other anecdotal comments on the interweb recently about both new and refurbished units coming with 1.2 and having reduced media space, which hadn't made any sense to me.  And I started to wonder.  So I decided to share the information here, in the hopes that those who might have a more definitive handle on things could clarify the situation. 

If, OTOH, folks are buying them set up this way by default, and don't know about it until afterwards, then I'd have a problem with that, because no choice is then possible.  And people aren't being told of the change.  So maybe that's because, as you say, no such change has been made.

I would hope that anyone getting a new or refurbed unit recently would chime in if they have seen this change on their device.  But since it is "irreversable", it wouldn't surprise me to find it showing up on refurbed units, even if no new ones are shipping with it.  And thus, those replacing defective units could still get a potentially unpleasant surprise.  And with no recourse, since the (new) B&N terms clearly now state the reallocation.

- Mark

Verrrrryyyy interesting ...

If true, this probably represents the most flexible option for most users, since app space is restricted to the internal memory (in /data), but user space can exist on either internal memory (/media) or auxiliary memory (/sdcard).

However, I'd guess that mods will be instantly available to resize partitions to users' desire.  I can do that right now, but it involves a bit of linux command line stuff ...

Mark_OB1

Just for the record, here's what B&N used to say, courtesy of the Wayback Machine...

"8GB*** (up to 6000 eBooks) built in memory.

*** 1GB = 1 billion bytes; Actual formatted capacity is less."

And as of the last week or so...

"8GB*** (up to 5000 ebooks) built in memory. 

*** 1GB = 1 billion bytes; Actual formatted capacity may be less. Approximately 5GB available to store content, of which up to 4GB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store."

So things have definitely changed.  And the way they've done it makes it appear like they're sneaking it in the back door, in hopes no one will notice.  A footnote on a buried Spec page is not how this should have been handled.

- Mark

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

So things have definitely changed.  And the way they've done it makes it appear like they're sneaking it in the back door, in hopes no one will notice.  A footnote on a buried Spec page is not how this should have been handled.

- Mark

Well, I hate to defend B&N too much, but I think that this is (sadly) typical of their corporate communications to customers.  Consider that we still haven't been told what the cause of the "revert" fiasco two days after the 1.2 update was available.  Considering that it makes a difference if this was an external attack on B&N servers (and thus perhaps an attempted attack on customer units), I think there was a legal obligation to have some sort of statement as to the cause, even if to say only that it was an internal screw-up.

Besides, what kind of company, with its own web site and set of user forums, makes an announcement on Facebook, and then fails to follow it up here.  Good grief!!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Mark, Dean, I apologize if you came out and said and I missed it, but my impression is that the video books are so big that they're starting make trouble. 

My thought afer reading Mark's post is that they're changing up the language as they try to figure how to deal with storing those video books, which are treated as apps, I think Mark said? 

Possibly if someone comes to the store and has a few of those installed, the staff will resize the /data partition to permit more to be stored, thereby taking away from the /media partition?  Or perhaps they're going to try and build in sufficient smarts on the partitions to grow them as needed, and start out with neither data nor media fully allocated? 

(although getting Windows to deal with a growable /media partition...  as it is every time I plug my NC into my PC, Windows wants to fix the partition for me....)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

Just for the record, here's what B&N used to say, courtesy of the Wayback Machine...

"8GB*** (up to 6000 eBooks) built in memory.

*** 1GB = 1 billion bytes; Actual formatted capacity is less."

And as of the last week or so...

"8GB*** (up to 5000 ebooks) built in memory. 

*** 1GB = 1 billion bytes; Actual formatted capacity may be less. Approximately 5GB available to store content, of which up to 4GB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store."

- Mark

I see everyones point but if you actually read it BN isn't being very clear.  Saying that 4GB may be reserved does not mean that 4GB is reserved, unless they are using that terminology to differentiate between older and newer devices.  It would be nice if BN would actually make some type of announcement regarding this. Not gonna hold my breath waiting though. :smileywink:

Mark_OB1

[ Edited ]

Runnergirl77 wrote:
I'm not sure that I totally agree with you on this. 
That's cool.  I appreciate alternate points of view, especially in a respectful discussion.
When I purchased my NC, I assumed that the internal memory was for BN content as, just like with a computer, that is where these software functions would perform best. 
I'm not sure why you would make this assumption.  I'll simply note that it's not one that I made.  Nor would I consider it to be reasonable.  Are you honestly indicating that if you bought a PC with a 500 GB hard drive, that you'd assume that 400 GB of it would be reserved for content purchased exclusively from the vendor?  And you'd have only 1/5 of it left for everything else?  Hey, external USB hard drives are cheap!
If I wanted to puchase content from other sources, I assumed that I would load them onto a micro SD card. 
Again... why?  Why would you assume internal storage would be reserved exclusively for B&N purchased content?  I never saw any indication of any kind that would support that thought process, in any printed or published information.  If you can point such out to me to substantiate that, I'd honestly appreciate it, because I missed it.
It's common sense, and I fail to see why everything has to be spelled out so literally, else people grab virtual cardboard signs and start a virtual picket line of how unfairly they are being treated.
I think you'd be hard pressed to convince a group of Nook owners that a capability they once had could simply be taken away without their consent, on a product they paid money for.  But I could be wrong.  And while you may fail to see it, it's possible others are not so blind to the ramifications.

This is small stuff.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

I appreciate that it's "small stuff" to you, and that you don't care.  That's fine. 

However, it's not small stuff to me.  I currently have ~2.2 GB of sideloaded content on my NC, and plan to add more in the future.  And I'm set for a long time to come, because I bought a device with 5 GB of space available, for whatever purpose I choose to use it for.  To have B&N take 4 GB of that away is flat-out unacceptable (to me).

There are a number of folks here who like to deride that point of view regarding the internal space.  I've read it on multiple occasions here, in connection with crippled Apps that can only access content on SD cards. Their arguments are of the form...

"Stop being such a cheapskate, go out and buy a d@mn SD card and stop your whining." 

Thanks, but I have bought an SD card.  In fact, I've bought 8 of them.  And yes they are a valuable method of expanding storage space.  However, the internal space is a Premium, because it's the ONLY space I can have available online at all times.  When I swap out card A for card B, I no longer have access to anything on card A.  But I always have access to the internal 5 GB space, so I allocate its use wisely.

To me, that's critically important, and not "small stuff" at all.  YMMV.

- Mark