Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Chubby8055
0 Kudos

Manual Nooter Question

[ Edited ]

I have been using a HC SD card up until now, ready to go the EMMC rout. Here is my delimma.

My daughter (6yrs old) loves some of the apps that comes from the NC store. I also love using the stock NC reader etc... but am looking a bit more tablet functionality and not too happy with HC or having to dual boot to go back and forth from stock to Rooted OS.

If I decide to go the Manual Nooter route, am i able to keep the Stock apps like Bloki,Pulse, Nook Paint etc.... while still adding the Android market?

If its still available does it (nook apps) have to be redownloaded or is the manual nooter just adding the Android store on top of whats already there?

Chubbs

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Manual Nooter Question

Manual nooter adds files into your NC's operating system.  It does not erase the user data that's  already there, so you keep the stock apps and library, shopping experience, etc. 

You should not have to redownload anything.  It really is a very painless transition - far less of a change than booting from a honeycomb or phiremod card! 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
EmmysDaddy

Your Nook Color will have all the apps and books as before, you won't lose a thing.  What you will gain is a Nook Color that has twice the capabilities as before.  You will have access to Android Marketplace, where you can download a ton of other apps in addition to the ones you've already downloaded from B&N.  Also, with a few tweaks you will be able to run Netflix from your NC, which is great for kids.  I love the fact that my NC now operates like a stock NC, but enhanced with marketplace.

Matt -Nook Color Enthusiast
Distinguished Correspondent
Chubby8055
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies.
Now the decision of the hour is do the current stable Manual or wait for auto? hmmmmm.

Chubbs

Frequent Contributor
Vegas771
0 Kudos

You might be waiting a long time for the auto version.  Some kind of delay, maybe someone else knows more.  I tried the manual and it worked fine (well, seemed to), but after a couple days my nook would freeze (or more precisely, loop) at the boot up screen.  I wiped everything and tried again, same thing after a couple days.  Weird.

I'm thinking of trying the CM7 mod as I really want the full capabilities of the NC, not just the stock.

roustabout

You might try rooting with the 4.5.18 rather than the the most recent.  The most recent

does a kernel change. 

I wound up using the most current and putting back in the OC kernel that I have been using, and it's been fine for me.  I have heard some rumblings that the kernel in the newest manual nooter is making trouble for some users. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
Vegas771
0 Kudos

Thanks roustabout, I might give that a go. :smileyhappy:

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257

Vegas771 wrote:

....  I tried the manual and it worked fine (well, seemed to), but after a couple days my nook would freeze (or more precisely, loop) at the boot up screen.  I wiped everything and tried again, same thing after a couple days.  Weird.

After reading some of the comments in the XDA thread about version 4.5.25, I decided to stay with 4.5.18.  If you can't find it in the XDA thread, I've archived a copy here:

http://www.mailpen.com/download/manualNooter1.2-4.5.18.zip

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
Vegas771
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

To All,

This falls strictly under the "for what it may be worth" category...

After several weeks of trying this and then trying that I have settled on the following:

Internal/emmc: Phiremod 6.3 with Adobe Flash 10.3 and Netflix works just fine!!! Still "no go" with HBO Go, though as I cannot log on correctly.

Transcend Class 6/8Gig card: Unrooted NC 1.2 (while I applaud the efforts shown with MN 4.5.6 through .25, I am just not as "comfortable" with the outcome(s) as I was with autonootered 1.1)

This gives me the best of all that I currently want in that Phiremod essentailly gives me close to full tablet capabilities and I can still easily switch to 1.2 (dual boot) when I go to a BN store and want to do an hour of "in-store reading". I am determined to get through "A Discovery of Witches" as a faux free book!

I had used CM7 from RC4 through "stable" versions (no nightlies) .0, .2. and .3. My switch to Phiremod is simply a preference issue and finding it a bit more stable than the current CM 7.0.3 counterpart (on which the Phiremod is based) for some odd reason.

Finding out how to put 1.2 on an sd card (pretty easy) has been a real treat in that I now have my rooted section (which I use 90% of the time) internally mounted for best performance.

Will most likely leave this setup "as is" until I eventually see what autonootered 1.2 is like in the real world.

Have even entertained the thought of going back to auto 1.1 as there is currently little advantage for me with 1.2.!

For the more timid of you, doing the above simply takes a little focus...it is nothing that should frighten anyone off!

Inspired Contributor
mn55019
0 Kudos

how would one go back to auto nootered 1.1? i was rooted but went back to stock after the updated and have been waiting for the 1.2 auto but was pretty happy rooted with 1.1.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

You might try rooting with the 4.5.18 rather than the the most recent.  The most recent

does a kernel change. 

I wound up using the most current and putting back in the OC kernel that I have been using, and it's been fine for me.  I have heard some rumblings that the kernel in the newest manual nooter is making trouble for some users. 

I'm having a hard time getting third party apps to install with 4.5.6.  Is it likely that 4.5.18 would fix that? The work arround for android market visibility worked great though. Was going to update to 4.5.25 today, but with that boot up loop rumor going around, I think I'll skip that one.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Chuck, the 4.5.18 nooter can be applied on top of 4.5.6.  App visibility in the marketplace seems fine to me. 

For third party apps, do you mean sideloaded APKs?  If so, I have found that I need to use Ham and Cheese's APK enabler. 

The third section here http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html covers rooting 1.2, and I just updated to reflect the recommendation for 4.5.18.  

On the question the earlier poster asked about rolling back to 1.1, yes, you can.  I outline that process here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/unrootingresetting-to-stock.html

You'll want to root it both because you can and because that will block the 1.2 update. 

If you've already installed 4.5.25 and are having problems with the kernel, you can install  a different kernel from a CWR disk.  The process is to copy the zipfile for the kernel to your CWR and boot into CWR and install, then restart.

I'm having good luck with this one:

stock_kn_1.1G_VExLow as described in this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=13620274

There is also a stock kernel installer around, available for folks who are having trouble with the OC kernel but also valuable if you want to try a stock rather than an OC kernel to replace the one that MN 4.25 installs.  I don't know where it is, but google can probably turn it up. 

I've had zero problems with this OC kernel, and I seem to remember that it actually undervolts the CPU. 

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Thanks Roustabout! just installed the APK enabler, and it works great!

roustabout
0 Kudos

Yeah, that apk enabler lets me do a lot that I never could figure out how to do without it.  Like restore apps from Titanium.  I could tick the little "non-market apps" tickbox as often as I liked, and until I found that tool I stil couldn't restore apps from Titanium, only data, I needed to reload the apps themselves from the Market, then load their data up. 

It may well be that I'm just missing something, but for me, it is a very handy tool.  I don't quite understand why it wasn't rolled into the manual nooter file. 

If anyone who knows (Dean?  Mark?) what the step is that the apk enabler provides that I wasn't understanding, I'd be interested in hearing. 

Inspired Contributor
sahm8108
0 Kudos

roustabout- 
I installed CM7 with the sd card and I really would like the manual nooter 4.5.18.  This will allow me to still use the kids read to me books and have my stuff too. Can I install it over the CM7 or do I need to reformat the sd card first and then put the manual nooter on it? Do I only need the nooter file on the sd card and that's all? I saw a link in this same thread for it. 
roustabout
0 Kudos

Sahm, I am not sure. 

I think that CM7 comes with clockwork as one of the preinstalled apps? 

IF so, try this: 

- download the manual nooter and copy it to your SD card.  I know CM7 does interesting things

to the structure of cards that it's written to.  So I don't know if CWR can see stuff written to the card, but I hope so.

- in CM7, tell CWR to "reboot into recovery" - I think it's the second choice.

- make a backup at boot time

- in CWR, navigate to install zip from sdcard and try running the manual

noot there if you can see it.  If you can't, someone who knows CM7 can help you.  I tend to think that if you're routinely using CM7 off a card, having another card is a good idea, so you can put a bootable CWR image on it, keep CWR and Titanium backups on it, etc. -- without hammering your CM7 install.  

Pull your SD card and see if you're rooted. 

Your hint will be that logging in asks if you want to  use Zeam. 

Install Titanium from the market. 

Download the APK enabler mentioned in the third (1.2-specific) section of

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html

Install that and restart. 

You can use Titanium to back up and restore apps and data - it will  write its backups to whatever SD card is in, and you need an SDcard in to run it.  YMMV, but I've found I need the APK enabler installed to reinstall apps with Titanium.