Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
prncsskc
0 Kudos

Manualnooter... why can't I figure this out?

Tried to load and run MN and followed the directions on xda but it didn't do anything. Didn't even register that there was anything on my SD card. I am really not sure what I did wrong, the instructions were a bit hard to follow. Can anyone give me a play by play on what I need to do? I was going to wait for Autonooter but I don't want to wait any longer. Thanks in advance.
Boutique style eReader sleeves handmade by me at sugarbottomstitches.etsy.com - customs available!
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Manualnooter... why can't I figure this out?

Assuming you are running Windows on your computer, please identify which of the following statements you do not comprehend. If you are on Mac, please clarify that point.

1. the clockworkmod recovery .img is the only download file that needs to be extracted, and requires an extraction tool such as winrar or 7zip.

2. the clockworkmod recovery .img needs to be "written" to the sd card, not "copied" to the sd card. There is an important difference. The "writing" of an image file requires a program such as win32 disk imager.

3. The manual nooter .zip, OC kernel .zip(optional), and APK enabler.zip(optional, but recomended) all need to remain compressed and just moved as-is to the SD card.

4. There is a distinct difference between "computer" (or "my computer") and "windows explorer", and using "(my) computer" will not work to move the .zip file(s) the the sd card after the .img is "written" to the card. "windows explorer" will work and is easily accessable by right clicking "start" and choosing "explore". Also it is located in the accessories folder in the start menu. The reason: "my computer" will not recognize the format of the SD card after the .img is written, and windows explorer simply won't care about the format of the SD card.

5. The .img file(s) need to be installed by booting into clockworkmod recovery. To do so, completely power down NC, put in CWR boot disk (the one just made) and turn on, wait for orange text screen and install .zip(s) from sd card. Start with the manual nooter .zip.  REMOVE sd card, then reboot NC.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I put up step by step instructions that some people find helpful. 

There are three sets of instuctions here, two for rooting 1.1 release of the BN OS, and the last for rooting 1.2.  I try to include links out to the files you need as well.

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

It says the file doesn't exist..........................

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Splendid.  The BN markup added some weird padding characters to the end of the link.

does exist (and actually once you hit the "not exist" landing page, it takes you into a nav page...)

OK, fixed.  But not in time to fix the first post. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Actually I found it the first go around but THANKS. Great stuff......

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

prncsskc wrote:
Tried to load and run MN and followed the directions on xda but it didn't do anything. Didn't even register that there was anything on my SD card. I am really not sure what I did wrong, the instructions were a bit hard to follow. Can anyone give me a play by play on what I need to do? I was going to wait for Autonooter but I don't want to wait any longer. Thanks in advance.

prncsskc,

did you get MN installed?

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Contributor
prncsskc
0 Kudos

Ok duh. I feel like a dummy now. I didnt write CWR to the card. I saw that the file was an image file and just dropped it on the card. Lmao. This is what I get for trying to work with a one year old climbing on me. Thanks for the responses. I'll be trying this again, once he goes down for a nap lol.
Boutique style eReader sleeves handmade by me at sugarbottomstitches.etsy.com - customs available!
roustabout
0 Kudos

Once you get root, install Audible and see if Samuel Jackson's field guide to one year olds is still available free :smileyhappy:

Contributor
prncsskc
0 Kudos

OMG... I think I may have just bricked my NC. I got Clockwork written to the SD card, and the zip file. Put it in my NC and attached it via the usb cable to the computer... it won't boot, won't turn on, won't do anything. The cord is flashing between red and orange. I'm in a panic. What do I do??

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Almost certainly you haven't succeeded in bricking your nook color. 

Pull the SD card out and then hold the power button in about 15 seconds, you should be able to force a restart.

I see this behavior only rarely, when I have blown the writing .img file to the card for some reason.

You don't need to be connected to your PC to get the manual nooter process to run.  That step is only for autonooter, and there it's mostly to be sure the device boots up.

You should doublecheck that you're writing a CWR image to the card that is the same size as, or smaller than, your SD card.  With that card mounted, just copy in the manual nooter file, leaving it zipped.  Safely unmount, power off your NC, put in the SD card, power on, and see where you get. 

(You didn't, by any chance, write an autonooter image to the card, I hope?  If so, you may need to reinstall the Nook OS before you proceed.  I'm not sure what happens if you try to autonoot a 1.2 device.  I would expect it would just silently fail, but I'm not sure.) 

Contributor
prncsskc
0 Kudos

Roustabout you are my hero. LOL. I thought I had written CWR to the card, it shows up on the sd card when I view the contents, but maybe I did something wrong. I used a CWR smaller then the size of my card. I'm gonna reformat the card and try again. Thanks so much!

roustabout
0 Kudos

You don't copy the .img file to the card.

You need  to use a disk imaging tool to "build" the card, kind of like making a boot floppy.

Please take a look at the third section here:

for links to tools that can write the CWR image to the card for a 1.2 rooting card.

I would recommend you use the 4-5-18 rooting tool still - the 4.-5-25 rooting tool puts a custom kernel on the device which some folks have trouble with, and I think the the 4-6 tool does something similar (but I'm not 100%.) 

Contributor
prncsskc
0 Kudos

I am using WinImage to write the files. Maybe I'm just not doing it right. I'm not very familiar with writing images to disk.

Contributor
prncsskc
0 Kudos

Ok when I try to write the .img file, winimage splits it into 4 seperate files. Is it supposed to do that?

roustabout
0 Kudos

Please don't use winimage, which I'm unable to assist with.

Please do use diskimage, and the instructions at

which I can actually help with. 

Contributor
prncsskc
0 Kudos

Ok, I'll go download that one. Thanks so much!

roustabout
0 Kudos

Once you have diskimg installed, you actually open the .img file with diskimg, and you tell it to write to your microSDcard.

Contributor
prncsskc
0 Kudos

Ok, I think I got it. CWR works great, and MN is installing now.