Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

May I Suggest the Private Message Feature?

[ Edited ]

I would just like to take a moment to introduce you to the Private Message feature available in the discussion board community. You can send a community member a PM at any time by first clicking on their user name, then by looking at the righthand side on the new screen that comes up. In small print there is a link reading Send this user a private message or some such verbage. You may want to use this feature when the exchange becomes more personal in nature rather than about the topic originally posted. In other words, you have the ability to carry out your war of words in a private manner. Just a tip! Good day, carry on.

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Correspondent
Ace7

Re: May I Suggest the Private Message Feature?

No way! That's the best part... keep it public, people! :smileywink:

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

This is an uncalled for comment. If you look at the 20 or so posts below, everyone is asking questions, everyone is helping. Just a normal day on the boards. If you don't want to read the posts, move on.
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Uncalled for...pot, kettle, black?
Inspired Contributor
EmmysDaddy
0 Kudos

Agreed.  All to often a simple problem becomes an argument.  Everyone has the best idea and instead of helping out, all they want to do is "win" their agrument.  Ever see someone asking for directions??  Usually 2 or three other people come out of nowhere with their own "best" directions.  Seems like that happens here too.

Matt -Nook Color Enthusiast
Frequent Contributor
mercury1965
0 Kudos

Thanks normysmom. Nice tip. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

[ Edited ]

normysmom wrote:
Uncalled for...pot, kettle, black?

You should have said this in a private message.
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

PMs also work to stop the hijacking of threads.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

those who post such messages want them public.  Your plea to send it in private is met with deaf ears. 

This is the interwebs and the people you want to speak to simply aren't interested.  Perhaps you should realize that fact.  No amount of posts will change that.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Actually, no plea included. Actually, no comment included either. Just an informative tip for any user out there that was unaware of this feature and a suggestion as to when it may be appropriate to use it...a teaching moment brought on recent experiences here. Use it or not.
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

normysmom wrote:
Actually, no plea included. Actually, no comment included either. Just an informative tip for any user out there that was unaware of this feature and a suggestion as to when it may be appropriate to use it...a teaching moment brought on recent experiences here. Use it or not.

Kind of like Schoolhouse Rock interrupting my cartoons? :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

hypothetically speaking, clicking on that private message button becomes increasingly more difficult with how far a fellow poster took one's previous post(s) out of context. kinda like a rubber band effect. IMHO

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

I am just a Bill, sitting here on Capitol Hill wondering Conjunction Junction, what's your function?

Contributor
Mark_75070
0 Kudos

Normysmom,

How DARE you give out helpful information to those who may be unaware? Of course you should be berated and insulted by people who, instead of taking your advice or not, decided to criticize your release of factual information.

The "uncalled for" comment was completely uncalled for. Why some people decide that they are the final say on what is worthwhile is beyond me. I believe we usually refer to them as "control freaks"

Thanks for the information Normysmom. I appreciate it.

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

rbentley101 wrote:

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

I am just a Bill, sitting here on Capitol Hill wondering Conjunction Junction, what's your function?

I went to Jr Hight School with the kid who did the voice of the boy in that Capital Hill Commercial. He was had a small part in the original Freaky Friday.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Mark_75070 wrote:

Normysmom,

How DARE you give out helpful information to those who may be unaware? Of course you should be berated and insulted by people who, instead of taking your advice or not, decided to criticize your release of factual information.

The "uncalled for" comment was completely uncalled for. Why some people decide that they are the final say on what is worthwhile is beyond me. I believe we usually refer to them as "control freaks"

Thanks for the information Normysmom. I appreciate it.

i am not a " control freak." Where do you see berating and insulting behavior? That post was certainly uncalled for, in my opinion. I do not think i have the final say on anything. I do not appreciate this personal attack.
Inspired Correspondent
ZOMBully
0 Kudos

In my opinion, and mine alone, I agree that informing people about PM was good but the tone did feel kinda mixed. I completely understand where some people might say it was uncalled for. the words the op used just felt ungenuine in trying to provide information out of kindness, but whether or not thats true the messages was a good one.

it only leaves me wondering if this topic helped you, what did you think the little envelope was by your login name?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe