Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
treeva
0 Kudos

Memory Increase

Hello,

I have what is probably a dumb question, so I apologize.  I noticed that i am at 96% capacity filled for memory.  I purchased a ScanDisc card and I am assuming that by put that disc in, I will be increasing my memory.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  By doing this, do I lose the memory I currently have on my Nook?  And when this disc fills up, do all of the books sit stored on that disc and go with the disc?

Anyone who could explain this to a technically challened NC owner I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: Memory Increase

First - adding an microSD card will add to the storage capacity of your NC.  The original storage (5GB) is not effected.

Second - are you sure that you have used 96% of your available memory??!!  That seems like an awful lot unless you have put movies and music files on your NC.  I'm guessing that you actually have 96% of your sorage capacity available for use.  Might pay to double-check that.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mine says "Available storage."  95%

Under that it says 4.73GB free of 5.00GB.

So, it's not the "percentage full," but the "percentage free/unused."

ETA:  Oh, and the "SD" stands for "Secure Digital," not ScanDisc."  :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

treeva wrote:

Hello,

I have what is probably a dumb question, so I apologize.  I noticed that i am at 96% capacity filled for memory.  I purchased a ScanDisc card and I am assuming that by put that disc in, I will be increasing my memory.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  By doing this, do I lose the memory I currently have on my Nook?  And when this disc fills up, do all of the books sit stored on that disc and go with the disc?

Anyone who could explain this to a technically challened NC owner I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Hello, This is not a dumb question add all.

First, if you are looking at the Available storage space, it is usally 96% available not 96% used. The green bar represents how much space is left, they grey bar is how much is used. So make sure you are reading the memory correctly.

Secondly, the SD card is used like a secondary storage. It does not add additional memory to the memory that is already there. It adds additional secondary memory.

You have 8GB of memory on the NC. 3GB is used by the system so you actually end up with 5GB of storage space on the NC. With an SD card you can add up to 32GB of extra space. This space is not added to the 5GB already built in. It is just extra space.

The books you download from Barnes and Noble and any data you download using the Web browser are stored on the internal memory. You can hook the NC up to you PC and move any files that you downloaded from the Web to the SD card and you can add your files to the SD card. I would leave the B&N books where they are. They do not take up that much room on the device and you can always archive the BN books if you need to make room for other books.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Contributor
treeva
0 Kudos

Oh, I'll have to check when I get home.  I assumed it was 96% full because the bar was almost all green except for a little space to the right.  How does the bar look on yours?  I think I assumed the dark green bar indicated how much was stored in there already. 

So, does the SD card increase memory space and then when that card gets removed, the books go with the card?

Thanks!

Inspired Contributor
Pokey1
0 Kudos

I also have a question about memory. Does adding apps, movies. Etc. Make the response of the nookc slow Down? I'm not real techie either, so I appreciate you guys who know how things work helping the rest of Us!!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Yes, anything stored on the SD card goes away when it's removed.  Worse, if you have books on your SD, and you've placed them on your "Shelves," they disappear from the Shelves, too, and do not come back to the Shelves when you re-insert the SD card.  :smileysurprised:  For this reason, I only put books in the internal memory, and movies, music, photos, etc. on the card storage.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
treeva
0 Kudos

thanks for the clarification on the bar. 

If I archive books, do they cease taking up space on the Nook and just sit on my Barnes and Noble account where they can be re-loaded at any time?  I think I ran into this recently where I archived a book and then needed to look at it again, I think I had to retrieve it from Barnes and Noble and re-load it back in.

Thanks again so much for everyone's information.  I am so tech challenged :smileyhappy:

Mary

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Anything you load onto a memory card stays on the memory card.  As you remove and replace the card, you also remove and replace your content.  For example, I have an SD card with converted DVD files for my daughter - kids' movies.  I also have an SD card with converted DVD files for me - movies Mommy likes.  I also have an SD card dedicated to photos only so I can use my NookColor like a digital picture frame to share photos.  On the actual memory in the NookColor, I store my downloaded books and music files.  Those books and music files go with my NookColor regardless of which SD card I have currently loaded in.

The green bar for the memory data shows AVAILABLE space whilst the gray area indicated USED space...it is a bit counter-intuitive as compared to other devices.  So, a lot of green means GOOD.  The percentage shows space AVAILABLE.

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Pokey1 wrote:
I also have a question about memory. Does adding apps, movies. Etc. Make the response of the nookc slow Down? I'm not real techie either, so I appreciate you guys who know how things work helping the rest of Us!!

Apps?  Or Movies?  Neither slow it down, per se.  Currently, only rooted NC's can add apps, and yes, if you run a bunch of them, it can slow down.  There are other apps out there to perform "garbage collection" and speed things up again, and I understand Android 2.2 is much better about this sort of thing than 2.1.

The storage of movies does not slow down the system.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
Pokey1
0 Kudos

Thank you RiffRafff
Wordsmith
DrWho453

yea, its amazing that even though the NC has 8GB of memory for storage, it only has 512MB of RAM to run everything. So on a rooted nook, the more things you run, the slower the nook could become.

In my opinion, this could be a good thing because it forces programmers to keep their programs optimized for limited space. I think the problem with PCs is that as memory kept getting cheaper allowing more to be installed in computers and harddrives got cheaper allowing for more storage space, programers stopped optimizing the programs as much because they have all this memory and space they can use. Meanwhile, the users suffer from having all these blotted programs running on their system and taking up hard drive space. My Amiga could do a majority of what Windows and its programs can do now but at half the memory and hard drive space and that includes multitasking. What ashame Commodore could never properly market the Amigas.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Rooted NC users could use a Task Killer app that gives the user the ability to shut down apps after they are done with them. - This is because when you switch away from the app it continues to run in the background using up resources.

What frustrates me is that we could have 16GB ~ 32BG SD class 10 SD cards in the slot (read: a huge memory boost) yet the system uses the on-board memory card for the "RAM" . . .

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

The Amiga.  *sniff*  RIP.

Had a bunch of 'em.  A1000, A500, A2000, A3000.  Still have the all, except the 2000, which I sold to finance the 3000.  A near-miss lightening-strike took out my phone line when I was online with the 3000 (sparks flew from the phone jack in the room!) and wiped out the 8520 CIA chips.  It is an ex-Amiga.  :smileysad: 

Those were heady days in computing, online with Jay Miner and Dale Luck, RJ Mical and later Dave Haynie.  Still have some cassette tapes of RJ's keynote address at the Chicago Ami-Expo around here somewhere. Remember the guru mediation errors?  The Workbench hand? How about Haynie's Deathbed Vigil video?   Pre-emptive multitasking in a micro in 1984.  It seemed that no other platform could ever catch up.  Oh, well.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

NookonErik wrote:

Rooted NC users could use a Task Killer app that gives the user the ability to shut down apps after they are done with them. - This is because when you switch away from the app it continues to run in the background using up resources.

What frustrates me is that we could have 16GB ~ 32BG SD class 10 SD cards in the slot (read: a huge memory boost) yet the system uses the on-board memory card for the "RAM" . . .

The NC only has 512MB of RAM.  The rest, on-board or not, is storage.  

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Once again I go back to OS2/Warp and how it handle memory and had multi layers making almost impossible to write a Virus to hit the Kernel Core.    Sure is a shame the Gov. tied their hands when it came to Advertising against Windows95

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

NookonErik wrote:

The NC only has 512MB of RAM.  The rest, on-board or not, is storage.  

Oh. Got it.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

NookonErik wrote:

Use task killer apps sparingly! Especially when the upgrade hits as 2.2 is supposely much better at handling rescources than 2.1. Most developers are against using them at all. Android is not like Windows, it is much better at managing system rescources. If you force close a program that is working fine it could cause problems. Use task killers only in the event that a program goes really wonky on you.

Every time you see an on-line article about the best apps some task killer is almost always on it, and if the article allows comments all the techies come out wailing about how task killers should not be used.

Hey riffraff you are totally dating yourself! :smileyvery-happy:

And I thought I was old - I still remember the days of going to the computer lab at school and asking for two floppy disks - one to boot up and one for whatever program I needed to use! And let's not forget the "huge" 20MB hard drives. I'm looking at new computers and a lot come with one or more terabytes :smileysurprised:

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

The Amiga.  *sniff*  RIP.

Had a bunch of 'em.  A1000, A500, A2000, A3000.  Still have the all, except the 2000, which I sold to finance the 3000.  A near-miss lightening-strike took out my phone line when I was online with the 3000 (sparks flew from the phone jack in the room!) and wiped out the 8520 CIA chips.  It is an ex-Amiga.  :smileysad: 

Those were heady days in computing, online with Jay Miner and Dale Luck, RJ Mical and later Dave Haynie.  Still have some cassette tapes of RJ's keynote address at the Chicago Ami-Expo around here somewhere. Remember the guru mediation errors?  The Workbench hand? How about Haynie's Deathbed Vigil video?   Pre-emptive multitasking in a micro in 1984.  It seemed that no other platform could ever catch up.  Oh, well.

Yea, I still have the A2000 and A500 in the storage locker right now. We had some fun names too for our chips. We had Agnus, Fat Agnus, and Fatter agnus which if I remember correctly was the processor code name and then we had Gary for the I/O device, and I forget off hand what the code name was for the graphics chip. Someone once did a poem using all the code names. I also thought it was so neat how you could have mutliple windows open and running different programs or graphics and you could move any of them around and not one of them would skip a beat. They would continue smoothly showing graphics off or doing their thing while you moved the window around. Ahh, I miss those days :smileysad:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

the onboard RAM that applications can be executed in is not derived from the onboard storage (flash RAM.) 

If it were, rooted NC users would have a loooooooot more than 512 M to run apps in!

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.