Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Eagle-20
0 Kudos

Microsoft sues Barnes & Noble for using Android

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: Microsoft sues Barnes & Noble for using Android

This is month-old news.

This is (sadly) standard in the industry.

Microsoft cannot go after Google (for technical reasons described in other threads that I'm too much of a layperson to describe) so they go after the platforms instead, eg Nookcolor.

Frequent Contributor
joezrph
0 Kudos

It sounds like BN isn't paying the license fees to Microsoft, thus the law suit.

Could this have anything to do with delays to the upgrade release? 

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb

[ Edited ]

Complain to who?  Microsoft is making a fortune selling software and Google is making a fortune giving it away. Worst case is B & N will be forced into a licensing agreement with Microshit (not likley)

In moot law suit in our local law school Microshit was sue for patent infringment by a consortium of trash can manufactures, file folder makers, ab printers, and desk builders. After all the base of MS is a desktop, files folders (with tabs) and a trash can......

Somethings are just logical and not intellectual property.......

And yeah the delay could be a result. or maybe its apple trying to own "app" Can you imagine a bunch of adults trying to decise whether APP is short  for apple or application????

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

TNTLamb wrote:

In moot law suit in our local law school Microshit...

You lost me right there. I read so many people who hate apple call them "Crapple", and so many people who hate Microsoft call them this. I mean, C'mon... BOTH companies have provided us with products that we all use and love. Without Microsoft, Apple would not have made it out of the 90's. The history of what took place there is very interesting, actually. I love both companies. JMHO. I know others will differ with me. That's the glory of forums like this.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Granted Apple has suceeded in convincing the world that Their Original OS was not the product  of the same minds that created Windows. Both companies are amazing. Apple just had some very poor decisions in trying to keep everything to themselves. But I gotta tell you when any company rests on its laurells (as both have done) and defend those laurells as being the present and the future in court rather than in their development teams then they do become "crapple" and "microshit" It like saying Ford should be the only company who can use assembly line for manufacturing because they were the first to do it (and the process the girl who brought them to the dance)

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

And now Apple is suing Samsung because their products looks like Apple's products!!! :smileysurprised:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/18/apple-sues-samsung-over-for-copying-the-iphone-and-ipad/

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Derwin wrote:

TNTLamb wrote:

In moot law suit in our local law school Microshit...

You lost me right there. I read so many people who hate apple call them "Crapple", and so many people who hate Microsoft call them this. I mean, C'mon... BOTH companies have provided us with products that we all use and love. Without Microsoft, Apple would not have made it out of the 90's. The history of what took place there is very interesting, actually. I love both companies. JMHO. I know others will differ with me. That's the glory of forums like this.

I don't believe that.  Plenty of other companies would have invested in Apple.  MS seized on an opportunity to say to the government antitrust people, "Look!  See?!?! We are not a big, bad predatory monopoly!  Not us!  See?  We're helping our competitor!"    Bah.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

[ Edited ]

Eagle-20 wrote:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20045551-75.html

http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110321/microsoft-sues-barnes-noble-over-nook-alleging-its-android-...

http://www.nothingbuttablets.com/1933

Interesting read ? Please read brief articles before you comment - Is it time to complain?

First of all, you should read what was written first.   They are not suing because B&N is using Android.   They are suing because some of the "look and feel" components, such as using tabs to navigate are supposedly Microsoft "inventions" and B&N (along with Foxconn and Inventec) have refused to license those "inventions" from Microsoft.

This is almost standard business practice now, a company claiming they have a patent on a method of doing some, such as a tabbed interface, and trying to wrangle $$ out of anyone that uses a tabbed interface.    Microsoft has been both the plantif and defendant in many similar lawsuits over time.

Some other tablet makers have agreed to Microsoft's claims, and paid licensing fees.   For Microsoft to let other tablet makers not have to pay those fees....would open them to a lawsuit by those that are paying the fees.    So this is a form of protection where Microsoft only cares about making the playing field amongst all manufacturers of "similar" devices.

And in fact, this will surely be settled...no injunction against B&N selling the Nook color will ever be issued (none has ever been issued against this type of case without a trial first occuring) and life will go on.

It's all a game, nothing to worry about...and certainly NOT Microsoft suing B&N because they used Android.

And no, the sky is NOT falling either.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

riffrafff wrote:

I don't believe that.  Plenty of other companies would have invested in Apple.  MS seized on an opportunity to say to the government antitrust people, "Look!  See?!?! We are not a big, bad predatory monopoly!  Not us!  See?  We're helping our competitor!"    Bah.

Well, sure. They are a business. Business is rough and tumble! They play hard ball. They do it for M-O-N-E-Y.  So does Steve Jobs and Apple. These aren't charity organizations here! Although, both companies do donate a TON of cash to charities. But a company will do whatever they can to get an edge in the marketplace. Apple has really attempted some terrible things by making everything so exclusive and "itunes only" accessable. Both companies have made poor choices, but both companies have also given us products that are simply incredible.

The "Microshit" and "Crapple" namecalling comes from "fanboys" from both sides. One side hates all things Microsoft, and the other side hates all things Apple..... and anytime either company is brought up in a conversation, the fanboys for either side chime in with their hatred.

I just find it kind of ridiculous. And, after all, it's just my opinion I'm expressing. I realize you, and other, may disagree.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I assume , riffrafff, you are reffering to the 150 million that Microsoft invested in a floundering Apple back in 1997........ But their common roots go back much further including the commonality of code... Its assumed by many that windows was a attempt to copy the Mac software... It wasn't. Gates wrote much the mac OS and pleaded with apple to make it and open source. (kind of an intresting turn of events consdidering what Microsoft is up to these days eh??? ) The roots of these companies and the talened people that started them and built on  them is one thing. (and I am a fan of both - the used to compete on making better an newer) The "suits"  that are running and ruining them now and literally holding up real progress is another. As result things may be smaller, faster, prettier. but we really have progressed very far fro the early days....

Contributor
stevebez
0 Kudos

" Gates wrote much the mac OS" Um.... NO. Microsoft wrote programs for the Mac. The original Mac OS was written in Pascal, largely using code that was ported from the OS for the Xerox Alto. I doubt that Pascal has ever been used at Microsoft. Either way, Microsoft had nothing to do with the OS itself.
Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You gotta watch this video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOp5mBY9IY

This is of Steve Jobs back in 1997 when Apple was on the verse of bankruptcy. He is talking about how Microsoft has come in and saves their butts.

Very interesting to see Bill Gates being introduced by Steve Jobs!

I love this video because it shows me how 2 great companies can come together and work in harmony. No hatred. (although you could still hear a few "applefans" booing in the background!)

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

stevebez wrote:
" Gates wrote much the mac OS" Um.... NO. Microsoft wrote programs for the Mac. The original Mac OS was written in Pascal, largely using code that was ported from the OS for the Xerox Alto. I doubt that Pascal has ever been used at Microsoft. Either way, Microsoft had nothing to do with the OS itself.

You are correct (in regards to the Pascal portions of the OS) I over simplified, which is a mistake I won't repeat here again!!! The mac was using GUI lifted from Xerox (something Gates was involved in to a degree) ,  A portion of which Gates retained the rights (along with Basic) and other stuff from LISA.  Where Gates saved the Mac was really by migrating Multi Plan and Microsoft works to the GUI platform.  In any event while both companies wee hard core business people, they found that both could prosper by cooperating as opposed to letting Lawyers run the the business's/ I think it was Honest Abe wh said "litigation is like two sknunks in a pissing contest," when its over it doesn't matter who the winner is......

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Riffraff -

It wasn't the money so much as the guarantee that MS would continue to write Office for Mac for free. Even artists need a word processor and spreadsheet sometimes.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Did not know that the original Mac OS was written in Pascal.

Since Pascal is a language that was never meant to run actual code, that actually explains a lot :smileyhappy:

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

All I know is FORTRAN will come back!  And I am tanned rested and ready if only I can find a key punch and cards.......