Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BK201
0 Kudos

Mobile Market Flood, Technology Access or EXCESS?

With all the talk about the Economy still on a perpetually recovering phase, It’s in stark contrast how News regarding Tech companies never hold back exemplifying consumer culture at its best. 

With Millions of units sold for this new iDevice... and millions more predicted with this upcoming rival device, who is to say if our economy is really in trouble? 

What became popular standard requirements in modern day society? 

1)         A mobile phone, “smart” enough to do more than what computer devices 10 years ago could. Pick your selection and data-plans, ranging from $70 to $100 per month! 

2)         A Laptop, smaller than ever with more powerful processors running inside than most standard entry level Desktop packages. 

3)         A tablet, revitalizing an old technological concept with a brand new compelling "Must-have" marketing propaganda. Additional paid monthly services, depending on the model. 

4)         An e-Reader, smaller than a tablet, bigger than a smart phone, easier on the eyes. Book worms aren't the only ones buying. 

5)         Online Backup services, drilling the horror scenarios of a possible failure for you to protect your own digital files. 

6)         A camera, powerful digital cameras/camcorders, just in case your smart phone's HD capable camera isn't HD enough for random everyday events. 

7)         And all complimentary accessories available to enhance your device's performance, regardless if you need them. Most likely, you don’t. But we’re told it’s cool to have them just-in-case.

I wonder just how many of us could honestly say that we don't have most or if not all of the above already. And if we didn't, how many can say it isn't in our budget Wish-list that we just have to have soon. 

More to the point, with all this need for Mobile Technology, how many of us truly get our money's worth in terms of productivity from these expenses? 

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t meant to be a negative anti-consumerism rant. As a self-publishing author, I am taking (and enjoying a great deal) advantage of the ease with which mobile technology has aided me to gain exposure for my works.

At least, to the point of being able to cast aside the need to go through Traditional Publishing channels that, from first hand experience, have only offered a path of struggle and hardship with often times very little in the ways of earning profit.  

However, it is because I am a self-publisher that I see how many of my friends and peers investing on mobile devices and data plan services they hardly ever come close to using to their full potential. - Is it natural because we are gaining more access to technology that was only "Science Fiction" not too long ago? - Or are we just dazzled with envy when someone waves such a shiny neat invention in front of us, regardless if we even need it? Not unlike the modern Auto Industry, I believe the success of mobile technology sales is highly contributed to clever "Pricing Psychology". 

Entice the public with such baiting "if you have a job, you can afford this. You deserve this much happiness at least." approach to projecting the concept of affordability. Even more to the point, it's our level of awareness, or lack thereof, for managing our budget wisely that dictates the success of these mobile device markets.  

Personally:

-     I already have an iPhone with unlimited Data Plan that lets me use it as a wifi-hotspot, providing my Laptop internet anywhere. 

-                     I said NO to the iPad, depsite how memorably painful it was being surrounded by relatives and friends with it. 

-                      Looked at the Galaxy, and purchased a Kindle 3G instead. But later on sold it to help pay for a Nook Color, converted (hacked) into an Android tablet. 

Reason: 

The iPad and Galaxy are very good tablet devices, however, for those of us who already have expensive Laptops/Notebooks/macbooks, it's best to just get the Nook Color for reading and browsing web stuff. It is smaller, lighter weight and less than half the price. 

I'd rather spend the extra money reading people's creative works, through one device. 

Peter J. Ang

Author

Comic Book publisher

PANDORA  

www.realinterfacestudios.com/pandora-eod

JTF-3 Counter Ops  

www.realinterfacestudios.com/counterops

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

Re: Mobile Market Flood, Technology Access or EXCESS?

[ Edited ]

I don't get the connection, you start off by saying that since many people buy all the gadgets you listed, and now with a must have tablet buying frenzy, consumerism is in top form thus is the economy really that bad.  You tell me 1 out of 3 homes for sale are in foreclosure, 1 out of 7 families on food stamps.  Banks going out of business left and right, the dollar decline to record lows, unemployement still over 9%, gas over $4 and going to $5, food prices 50% or more increases, etc, etc.

Yes people who still have jobs or money are still buying gadgets, so far competing with the Jones still works as well in this new century as it did in the last.

Your 2nd point about not needing anything more than a Nookcolor, I agree with.  I am a bang for buck guy.  Keeping up with the Jones for us means, no we want to just be us. I just bought a factory refurbished desktop (saved $400), just bought our 5th salvage vehicle 2002 Ford Ranger ext cab V6 for $5000 only 52,000 miles saved $4000.   So getting a powerful Nookcolor type tablet really makes sense to someone like me.  Yeah call me cheap, but I am happy if the savings still buys performance, and I believe that is true with the Nookcolor.

Frequent Contributor
BK201
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1) I established the fact that reports of the US Economy is still continually on the "ever recovering" phase and DESPITE that, Tech News give the impression that consumers are on a mobile-device buying frenzy (because we are). 

2) My main point of this post was to connect with those who are capable of budgeting their expenses based on what will provide the most productivity while being aware of how many around them are simply buying the latest gadgets without a real purpose to use said devices close to their full potential (especially with the dataplans that go with). 

Your "Bang for the buck guy" set of examples is precisely what I encouraged. And you agree with the Nook Color being my choice for a balanced set of performance and luxury. 

I don't get the connection with you agreeing to that and then go off sounding like my post was offensive or accusing anyone of being cheap.

>>Keeping up with the Jones for us means, no we want to just be us.>>   really.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

It's very chic to be frugal this year, maybe this decade.