Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

Re: Monday it is.

DeanGibson wrote:

IndiPop wrote:

Update Monday?  So that's what the 2 huge boxes in the back that say "NOOK Sign package.  DO NOT OPEN UNTIL INSTRUCTED!" are for.

I don't know if it's the same poster, but in the Woodinville (WA) B&N last Saturday, the 3ft high cardboard poster for the Nook Color showed new icons on the bottom of the Nook.

I don't think it was rooted (grin).

Did it look like this?

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Contributor
BrenCocoaFL
0 Kudos

Don't know how long the screen shot will stay out here, but thanks for posting it so I could see it before it disappears. Angry birds or sudoku, choices, choices...

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
0 Kudos

Yes, but without the application icons near the center.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
Ivebnnooked

Do you suppose CNN will be doing a news story on Monday regarding the major loss in America's workplace productivity that day because of all the people downloading and playing with the update?

Frequent Contributor
Moonchild54
0 Kudos

Ivebenooked that's a big haha!!! Thanks I needed that.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

If CNN does do a story, it won't matter, because no one watches.
Correspondent
Piechow
0 Kudos

LOL CHECK THIS OUT

http://androidos.in/2011/04/nook-color-might-get-software-update-on-april-25-froyo-incoming-with-app...

Seems someone reads our boards and paste/copy the forums as a source for his page LOL

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

Here's the earlier, hires pic:

Clicky

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Correspondent
Piechow
0 Kudos

wow after googling alittle more I can not believe the amount of websites that are taking this thread as a source. all you see is " BN employee leaks on the offical forums update monday!"

Inspired Contributor
Little_wizard

Which is funny, because I didn't 'leak' anything. I simply posted that I was having to go in early Monday to train on the update. It wasn't a big conspiracy or some top secret event. Everyone knew the update was imminent. Most people were pretty sure it was going out on Monday anyway.

Frequent Contributor
robErob
0 Kudos

You've probably done a favor for your company and higher ups. Seriously, I imagine its hard reading people rip on your company for something like this, so I applaud you for sharing the information. I'm glad that more often then not its people like you working in the retail stores. Sorry for the HSN h8ers.
WOOF!!
Contributor
Mondayn

Yep, it's the same story at my store as well. We're gearing up for a major Nook week next week and staffing additional booksellers over our Nook station. I've spoken with my manager who confirmed that the update will be rolling out for the next week. We're all excited to see what's in store for us!

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Piechow wrote:

wow after googling alittle more I can not believe the amount of websites that are taking this thread as a source.

all you see is " BN employee leaks on the offical forums..."

Mmm, that's nasty.  I hope he flushed afterwards.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Here's the earlier, hires pic:

Clicky

I've seen that one before, but it's still a great shot.  Thanks for reposting.  Love the hi-rez detail. 

I (will) really like being able to put my most common apps on the Home screen.  I'll be looking to see if that list scrolls independently, like the Active Shelf below it.  Or if the app launch strip is tied to the 3 screen-wide background.  Either way, it looks like there will be a dozen apps close at hand.

I do wonder though about B&N constantly showing the magazine and book covers skewed at angles.  You can arrange, overlap, and resize your covers, but you can't rotate them, AFAIK.  Or am I wrong?  That was one of the first things I tried when I got mine, and I was surprised it didn't work as depicted.

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
twilite20002002
0 Kudos

Just got back from our local B&N store. Really weird, know one was at the Nook kiosk. Usually there are 2 people there at all times. I stood there and know one ever approached me. I was in the store for 90 minutes browsing kept going back to the kiosk still nobody. Strange they are usually very helpful there.

Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala

Little_wizard wrote:

I've just been informed I need to be at work at 7am on Monday to train on the update. So there it is.

FWIW, I can confirm this. Mystery boxes indicating NC signage don't pop up everyday!

Thanks for hanging in there, everyone. I've seen a few more of the apps and there is some very awesome, very familiar, very-much-asked-for stuff!

If someone slightly more computer savvy than me is able to, making the update available via torrent or from a mirror/alternate download site would and posting the link to it on the forum here could help everyone manually download/install their updates faster (since the wifi download will be staggered and slow)

Inspired Contributor
Little_wizard

I can't believe I got 100 laurels on that first post.

Must be some kinda record. :smileyvery-happy:

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

twilite20002002 wrote:

... no one was at the Nook kiosk... Strange they are usually very helpful there...

Rampant speculation gone wild:

Perhaps because all they have are updated Nooks, and they don't want to sell any until the updates are available online???

In such a case there's a certain percentage of people (no one on this forum, I'm sure) who have bought in the last month, who would return their 2.1 Nook, wait until a new clerk staffed the kiosk, and then buy an updated one.

Now if was running B&N (boy aren't you all fortunate that's not the case), I wouldn't ship any updated Nooks to the stores until the update was released to the web site, and then for any customer who wanted one, I'd have the salestaff trained in how to update them on the spot, as part of a retail sale.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
B&N Bookseller
RedRapier

the ones for sale in store will not have the update, but we will happily assist you with instructions to sideload it

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Inspired Contributor
Little_wizard

DeanGibson wrote:

Now if was running B&N (boy aren't you all fortunate that's not the case), I wouldn't ship any updated Nooks to the stores until the update was released to the web site, and then for any customer who wanted one, I'd have the salestaff trained in how to update them on the spot, as part of a retail sale.

Any good Digital Sales Lead already does this.  We've gotten plenty of sales because we can have the customer completely set up before they leave. I'll have the update on my computer before we open Monday(if it's available of course, don't want anyone else copying and pasting my posts:smileymad:) to load on customer NC's (it's quicker than having it dl OTA).