Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Re: Monday it is.

sparks3229 wrote:

Does being in the B&N store make any difference for the update?  If it takes a while to get it from the WiFi at home, and maybe too long from a sideload due to a gagillion people all doing it, does it work to just go into B&N and turn on WiFi?

I would like to know the same thing!  Anyone know the answer to this?  

When I get a little money I buy books, if any is left, I buy food and clothes
Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats

I get my update at BN. Have coffee, read mags while NC updates. If there is a glitch the NC guy is right there to help me.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Thanks!  I know where I will be on whatever day it comes out!  Let's go for Monday!!!!

my9cats wrote:

I get my update at BN. Have coffee, read mags while NC updates. If there is a glitch the NC guy is right there to help me.

When I get a little money I buy books, if any is left, I buy food and clothes
Inspired Contributor
Little_wizard

Usually going in to a B&N and syncing up your NC will cause any updates that are available to download. And as I've said before also, any Digital Sales Lead should be able to load the update on in store if it doesn't start OTA.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,336
0 Kudos

OPDwife wrote:

sparks3229 wrote:

Does being in the B&N store make any difference for the update?  If it takes a while to get it from the WiFi at home, and maybe too long from a sideload due to a gagillion people all doing it, does it work to just go into B&N and turn on WiFi?

I would like to know the same thing!  Anyone know the answer to this?  

It's a nice idea, bu my guess is no, unless B&N says so in their support page that announces the update.  There are pluses and minuses to B&N doing this:

• On the plus side, it gets customers into the stores.
  • On the minus side, these are customers that are probably interested in the Android features, who will then be using B&N bandwidth to download apps and thus interfering with the other WiFi customers.
  • On the minus side, many such customers may pepper the B&N staff with questions about the update (most of which they won't know the answer to), and interfering with servicing other customers.

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

I've never had a problem getting updates at BN.

Nook Color Wallpapers
DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

hereticrick wrote:
Well sure, I guess my thought is just that ill be pretty shocked if 1) it takes me longer than an hour to figure the whole thing out and, 2) anyone comes in about it earlier than 10. But yeah..if they have the hours to throw at you, by all means, get paid! I know my store doesn't though :smileysad:

Getting a little OT here but I'm curious.  How are BN stores organized?  Are they franchises with each store being responsible for P&L?  Or are they all corporately owned?  Or something else I don't fully understand?

I'm guessing corporately owned.  If so, how is it that some stores can pay for employees to come in early and others cannot?  Wouldn't you all be paid by corporate?

Just curious.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

BN stores are all corporate owned, however each store is its own budget center. Each manager is most likely responsible for the P/L for his store and his bonus is based on that profit and loss. If he has large nook sales ar his store, he probably would want to train his staff to be able to answer questions from existing customers and, more importantly, be able to sell more units. Then, there would be regional guys responsible for large geographic swaths of stores.
Contributor
hereticrick
0 Kudos

Yeah, and id be pretty shocked if ANY store doesn't get a lot of profit off of nook sales, but as the fiscal year comes to an end, most stores get pretty tight with hours. My poor store is still making up for a huge deficit we had last summer when the mall decided to rip up the parking lot for several weeks right outside our store. Apparently, not even nook color sales could fix that.
Scribe
03FLHT2

I answered this in another thread, but I thought I would add it here any way.  Went down to the Local B&N and talked to one of the Nook Experts there.  He was in Manhattan on Thur. at Cooperate Offices.  They had some kind of meeting.  What was discussed and he was told it would be Froyo 2.2 and it was hush hush on what apps were there.  Confirmed Angry Birds and the drawing App and some kind of E-Mail app.   Nothing else not even a hint.  On the date the only thing Cooperate confirmed was by the end of the Month, yes this month.  When I ask about the 25th Shrugs shoulder and want say anything else.  I have been talking to this guy for Months.

about the Nooks.

Inspired Contributor
Velvet_Llama

Encouraging information. I haven't lurked these boards very long so I don't know if you deal with many trolls here. But it doesn't seem like a particularly trollish place so I'm inclined to be cautiously optimistic that, at the very least, we will have new information on Monday regarding this long awaited update. There's one other thing that corroborates the story of the OP which I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Staples is set to start selling the nook color on May first. If I were Barnes and Noble I would love to be able to drop a big update right before that product rollout in order to throw around in press releases and to generate buzz and renewed interest in the product. The timing works well if we are indeed looking at an April 25th release date. Also note the shift from B&N from talking about the NC as an e-reader to calling it "the reader's tablet." They seem to be deliberately trying to shift the public perception of the device towards it's capabilities of a tablet, which as anyone who has rooted the damn thing can tell you are surprisingly robust.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

Contributor
jintoku
0 Kudos

I live in NYC but the auto updates have always been tardy on both N and NC. That is, they've been on the Support software update page for some days. I've only had my N update on its own once. I've never had the NC do so, and sideloaded 1.0.1 and 1.1.0. YMMV. Maybe I'll visit my local B&N on Tuesday...
“I am not the part of the universe I completely control, but the whole of the universe I influence in part.” — Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Inspired Contributor
littlelotus2000
0 Kudos

Hey everyone: I am as excited as anyone about the update, so when I went to our local store this afternoon, I asked the tech-iest guy there if the update is, as rumored, going to be Monday. He said yes, indeed, it will start Monday and go on through the week :smileyhappy: So thanks OP, for giving us a ray of sunshine!!!! Better than a chocolate bunny!!!

Contributor
jerseyboyOW
0 Kudos

LittleLotus2000 you are truly "the bomb!" :smileyvery-happy:
Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax

You know that was going to be my first avenue of choice.  Everytime I go in to my store here the server updates my NC, usually with shopping info and coupons.  This would be an easy way to get upgraded.

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Reader 2
BrianR76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"1.2.0" now listed on the site.  Download here.

Frequent Contributor
gordoughs

Little Wizard FTW!!!

Reader 4
kittyMA
0 Kudos

Wahoo!!! Download only took about five minutes.  Can't wait to get a break at work so I can see the new features and play:smileyvery-happy: