Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

Movie Conversion

Well I converted my first movie. I don't think it converted it all though. Looks like about 5 min missing from beginning. I am not sure about the rest. I converted Iron Man. I put it on a SD card to keep clutter of of NC. I did it at the fastest setting and it looks great. I can not see how it could look better. When it scanned the movie in the beginning I saw to files so I converted both. I did not use the power user (I am NOT)... Does it sound like I did it properly? There was not a beginning sequence with title and a few mins were missing but not much. Please tell me oh  Masters of Nook....How did I do?

Thanks

MT

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Re: Movie Conversion

Hey, if it worked and looks good and you're happy, you did it right! You win! :smileyhappy:

Congratulations!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

postalchick wrote:

Well I converted my first movie. I don't think it converted it all though. Looks like about 5 min missing from beginning. I am not sure about the rest. I converted Iron Man. I put it on a SD card to keep clutter of of NC. I did it at the fastest setting and it looks great. I can not see how it could look better. When it scanned the movie in the beginning I saw to files so I converted both. I did not use the power user (I am NOT)... Does it sound like I did it properly? There was not a beginning sequence with title and a few mins were missing but not much. Please tell me oh  Masters of Nook....How did I do?

Thanks

MT

Are there instructions on doing this? I have never even thought of doing this, but it does interest me.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Hi PostalLady,

Iron Man should work fine. For some reason I never ended up picking Iron Man 1 myself (I do have Iron Man 2 here) but I just looked through my emails to see if someone reported complications with it, and nothing.

I will pick it up the next time I am at the store to see what happened.

From what it sounds like, you did everything right though.

Did you follow the guide on my website?

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I believe she's using DVD Catalyst - my husband & I use it too, it's really easy. I put a bunch of comedies on a microSD for our upcoming trip, and I converted & saved some of my home movies onto the hard drive for safekeeping forever!

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

Are there instructions on doing this? I have never even thought of doing this, but it does interest me.

I have a collection of movie trailers optimized for the NOOK on my website, and at the very top I also added a PDF file that describes the steps on how to do it yourself. This thread has some additional info:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Movie-Trailers-for-your-NOOK-Str...

If you visit the trailer-link in the thread on your NOOK, you can tap on the MP4 linbks to have them stream directly to your NOOK.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

Doreenpv wrote:

I have a collection of movie trailers optimized for the NOOK on my website, and at the very top I also added a PDF file that describes the steps on how to do it yourself. This thread has some additional info:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Movie-Trailers-for-your-NOOK-Str...

If you visit the trailer-link in the thread on your NOOK, you can tap on the MP4 linbks to have them stream directly to your NOOK.

Awesome....I love learning how to do new and fun things. I can't wait to give it a try.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

I love the video playback on the NOOK. I was using an iPod Touch for it, but the bigger screen on the NOOK makes it much more enjoyable.

Since I started doing this (back in 2004) I have had the pleasure of using a LOT of different devices for portable video playback, and the NOOK beats them hands down for me. The size, quality and storage options just make it perfect for me.

I can fit about 6 movies (2hr) on the NOOK itself, and another 10 on an 8GB memorycard. 

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Do you download DVD cat driectly from the nook or your computer?

Is it free?

Which version do you download?

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

It runs on your ( Windows- ) computer.

Most people use DVD Catalyst 4, which has NOOKcolor profiles. A free trial version (converts 25% of each movie/tv show) is available, the retail version is on sale for $10.

You can also use DVD Catalyst Free (for Droid will work fine for the NOOK) but it is slower with conversions, and doesn't work with as many DVDs as DVD Catalyst 4 does.

If you are on the website, at the top is a link for NOOKcolor. Click on that, and have a look at the guide. The guide explains all the steps in detail and with screenshots of every step.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I found the info on line. Very easy instructions.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

You are welcome, glad to be of help.

The guide might appear like a lot of work, but thats because I tried to explain all the steps with screenshots. If you worked through the guide once, you will find that it is very very easy.

To play your movies once they are on your NOOK, I recommend using the "Library" to find and select them. Besides the fact that Gallery will only play video's if they are located in a particular folder, it also does not display titles or filesnames of your movies, which makes things quite complicated if you have a couple of TV shows on it.

Frequent Contributor
T-TW

[ Edited ]

I converted Ironman I last week using DVD Catalyst and it looks and sounds great on my NC. It converted two versions and the first time I put the longer of the two on my SD card in my NC, but realized after I started watching it that it wasn't the right one, so I deleted it and put the shorter of the two on. Bingo! I watched it and Foghorn Leghorn videos with my grandson this weekend and he had a ball. I'm still trying to get Star Trek converted though. Seems like I remember some discussion on the boards about it earler, but can't find it now. Anyway, the DVD Catalyst is definitely worth the money. 

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

Yes but I was unsure. I was amazed at the quality of the pic.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

T-TW wrote:

I converted Ironman I last week using DVD Catalyst and it looks and sounds great on my NC. It converted two versions and the first time I put the longer of the two on my SD card in my NC, but realized after I started watching it that it wasn't the right one, so I deleted it and put the shorter of the two on. Bingo! I watched it and Foghorn Leghorn videos with my grandson this weekend and he had a ball. I'm still trying to get Star Trek converted though. Seems like I remember some discussion on the boards about it earler, but can't find it now. Anyway, the DVD Catalyst is definitely worth the money. 

Star Trek (the 2009 one) is a bit tricky unfortunately.

For most versions, (different regions) DVD Catalyst 4 selects the correct track, however it is possible that it doesn't do this in your case.

If you play the movie on an actual DVD player, when the movie is actually playing, the correct "track" should be visible on the DVD player's LCD screen. This is the correct track to select in DVD Catalyst for the conversion.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst

postalchick wrote:

Thanks

MT

Hi PostalLady,

I just picked up Iron Man 1 from the store, and did the first 10 minutes of the movie (I just got back) and the beginning is the way it should be. It starts with the Paramount logo, then the Marvel logo, and then it had the movie starting with the Humvee portion in Afghanistan.

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

I think I will try it again. Maybe I did it wrong. The other 2 movies I did worked great. I believe it is my error. I 'm sorry you went and bought a movie you probably don't want. But that shows how dedicated to customer satisfaction you are. More people should do as you have done. I am very pleased with the catalyst and would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks

MT

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst

I have been acquiring old movies and using DVDflick with great success to convert them to DVD. Recently, I ran into secret agent x-9 serial and tried to convert it to DVD using dvdflick but the audio sync was way off.  So, on a whim, I tried DVDcatalyst to convert SAX-9 MP4 to XVID/AVI. No Audio sync problems. Went the next step using DVDflick to add the AVIs and create a DVD. No problems with Audio Sync. One extra step but DVDcatalyst solved my audio sync problems. Now to go back and fix Green Hornet (1940s version). You have a great product !!

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

postalchick wrote:

I think I will try it again. Maybe I did it wrong. The other 2 movies I did worked great. I believe it is my error. I 'm sorry you went and bought a movie you probably don't want. But that shows how dedicated to customer satisfaction you are. More people should do as you have done. I am very pleased with the catalyst and would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks

MT

Oh, don't worry about that. I could have "netflixed" Iron Man 1, but I actually wanted that one. I was looking for a bluray/dvd combo, but settled for a $13 version at Walmart for it.

It's one of my favorite movies anyway.

Atomant wrote:

dvdcatalyst

I have been acquiring old movies and using DVDflick with great success to convert them to DVD. Recently, I ran into secret agent x-9 serial and tried to convert it to DVD using dvdflick but the audio sync was way off.  So, on a whim, I tried DVDcatalyst to convert SAX-9 MP4 to XVID/AVI. No Audio sync problems. Went the next step using DVDflick to add the AVIs and create a DVD. No problems with Audio Sync. One extra step but DVDcatalyst solved my audio sync problems. Now to go back and fix Green Hornet (1940s version). You have a great product !!

Thank you :smileyhappy:

I use DVDflick myself every now and then, but I have ran into some complications myself with it as well. Last week I needed to create DVDs from a couple of training FLV's, and it just didn't want to work correctly. I ended up converting those with dvdcat as well.

I did use some special tricks to improve the quality a bit, but it would be a bit long and complicated to write here. I'll make a write-up for it on my website in the next couple of days. I'm sure it will come in handy for you.

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

I did use some special tricks to improve the quality a bit, but it would be a bit long and complicated to write here. I'll make a write-up for it on my website in the next couple of days. I'm sure it will come in handy for you.

That would be great. No hurry I know your busy.