Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Re: Movie Conversion

I've been working on the article, but havent managed to finish it just yet. I should have it finished hopefully later today or tomorrow.

Sorry about that Atomant.

Contributor
JohnMc
0 Kudos

And don't forget to budget some time to port this great software over to Linux. :smileyhappy:

Just kidding.  Sorta.

John

Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

I use DVDFab (free version) to rip movies and TV series to the HD, then encode with Handbrake (using one of the iPod presets).  Very fast, excellent quality.  I keep them on an 8GB micro SD card, putting the TV shows in folders appropriately named. 

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

As promised:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/02/how-to-make-a-dvd-from-video-files/

It probably contains a lot of info you already know, but you might get a few pointers from it.

Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax
0 Kudos

DVDCat

I have been merrily ripping my DVDs for the past few days, probably up to 30+ so far.  The only problems I have had are Transformers 2 and Men in Black 2.  Any suggestions on those?

K2nax

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst

[ Edited ]

I don't have Men In Black 2, but Transformers 2 has given me some issues in the past. It is listed in the "Problem DVD" section on my website.

For some reason I never gotten to put in the correct track selection, but I did manage to make it work just now.

My version lists in "My Computer" as "TRANSFORMERS2_D1_VANILLA"

Using Windows Media Player, the correct track for the movie is 47 (DVD Cat select 30 because that is the longesty track)

start DVD Catalyst 4 without the DVD in the drive.

enable "power user" and then in the "Boosterpack" tab in Global Settings, enable the 2 previewfix checkmarks.

Then insert the dvd and if the 99track dialog comes up, just select the correct track.

the same should work for MIB2 as well.

Edit - I updated the listing in the "Problem DVD" section for it, including screenshots.

http://www.tools4movies.com/2009/12/transformers-2/

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the info. The black bar removal section will come in handy.

Just finished watching Secret Agent X-9 (1945 serial) with the legendary Commander Cain. Charlie Chan's two sons are in it too. Good serial movie if one is into older movies.

http://www.archive.org/details/secret_agent_x_9_ep1

dvdcatalyst wrote:

As promised:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/02/how-to-make-a-dvd-from-video-files/

It probably contains a lot of info you already know, but you might get a few pointers from it.

Frequent Contributor
T-TW
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

Star Trek (the 2009 one) is a bit tricky unfortunately.

For most versions, (different regions) DVD Catalyst 4 selects the correct track, however it is possible that it doesn't do this in your case.

If you play the movie on an actual DVD player, when the movie is actually playing, the correct "track" should be visible on the DVD player's LCD screen. This is the correct track to select in DVD Catalyst for the conversion.

Thanks dvdcatalyst. I'll put Star Trek in my DVD player and get the correct track. I'd really like to have it on my NC since it's one of my favorite movies. 

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

You are welcome,

I just tried mine (in my computer it shows as "STAR_TREK_XI_DOM"), and it nicely started the conversion using the default settings. DVD Catalyst does show a warning, but just click Yes, and it will work. The track for mine is 21, and is actually selected correctly.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Actually, I did have 2 settings changed. I thought I was using the defaults, but I wasn't.

it needs the same setting-change as mentioned here:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2009/12/transformers-2/

Sorry about that

k2nax
0 Kudos

Awesome, thanks.  I will try that tonight.  I am working through my entire DVD collection with CAT4 having a blast.  Having these on MP4 will make my travel hours much more tolerable.  Now I need to pick up a 32gig SD...

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:

I'm glad you are getting good use out of DVD Cat.

32Gig's are a bit too pricy for me, I'm currently using a cheapo 8GB myself, but then again, I don't get out much either.

If you want to save a few bucks, have a look at this article I wrote a few months ago:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2010/12/dvd-catalyst-4-quality-difference-between-different-profiles/

The samples there will streamif you visit them on your NOOK, and should give you an idea on how to adjust your settings a bit to get more movies on your NC. Its written for the Droid X, but the same settings apply for the NC.

k2nax
0 Kudos

YES!!  It worked on track 47 exactly as you said.  Thanks again for this fantastic program.. 

Any idea why Terminator 2 stops at 57 minutes?

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Glad it worked.

As for your T2, I replied to your other post here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Dvd-to-Nook-Dvd-Catalyst-4-Thumb...

dvdcatalyst wrote:

Hi k2nax,

I'm glad you enjoy DVD Catalyst 4.

I dont have Terminator 2 or Leatherheads myself, but for the others:

Aliens SE (ALIEN2 as the DVD label in "My Computer", 2h34m16s length) seems to convert just fine. I started a conversion, and let it go through to 5minutes before I stopped it.

Transformers 2, I updated my blog on that one a few days ago, and you already found my post about the setting-change needed for that one here (I'm posting the link to it for completeness):

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Movie-Conversion/td-p/846562

T2 might be an issue with either the DVD or the DVD drive. if it is a dual-layer DVD, it might be that the drive briefly pauses when the movie switches to the second layer. If you have access to a different drive, try that one. Burners are usually better in reading DVDs.

For Leatherheads, the Transformers 2 fix might help.

DVD Catalyst 4 has a few different methods of accessing the DVD. By default it uses the "Faster DVD Access" mode, however not all DVDs seem to like this mode and freeze the conversion when used. If this happens, after a few seconds, DVD Catalyst switches to a slower but more reliable DVD access mode. Besides the way the DVD is accessed, the rest of the settings remain the same, so you will not notice any quality difference. The conversion is just a bit slower when this happens.

If all you convert is movies, there is a setting you can turn off (I enabled it in 4.0.2.4, but will turn it back off in the next update) to speed up the conversions a bit. In Global Settings > Conversion, you will find a "de-interlace" setting. Turn that off.

I had Aliens convert overnight, and it worked fine. End-size is 1GB for the 2 1/2 movie using the standard NOOKcolor profile.