Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Weedy533
0 Kudos

Movies for Nook Color

My Nook color is not rooted, but I would like to watch movies on it. I understand that I can download the movies onto an SD card. Where can I get movies to download? Are the movies that I can stream from Netflex able to go to the SD card? What about movies rented from Red Box?

Thanks

Distinguished Correspondent
Chubby8055
0 Kudos

Re: Movies for Nook Color

Weedy533 wrote:

My Nook color is not rooted, but I would like to watch movies on it. I understand that I can download the movies onto an SD card. Where can I get movies to download? Are the movies that I can stream from Netflex able to go to the SD card? What about movies rented from Red Box?

Thanks

Yes you can download movies onto an SD card or onto your NC hard drive. As to your question as to where to download from, i can not answer here, but...... If you do a search on here and/or google for trusted torrent websites you will find a few.

First you will need a torrent to be able to download movies, my favorite is Utorrent. Once you have Utorrent and find a couple of sites like piratebay etc..... then just download the movie you want using the utorrent program.

Once you have it downloaded to your cpu then you need to covert the file type to mp4 with the correct settings for your NC.

Sounds difficult? Its not, just go download DVDcatalyst. Great program that does all the hardwork for you once you have the movie downloaded to your pc.  It has all the settings in place and you only need to select the movie you want to convert and your device (nookcolor) and hit go, it does everything for you including transfering it to your NC if you like.

As for Netflix/Redbox you can not download the stream based movies to your cpu as far as I am aware, as for the physicaly dvd.. yes it can be done using the dvdcatalyst program but some movies are tougher then others do to DRM(security feature built in).
Chubbs

Frequent Contributor
Vegas771
0 Kudos

First off, rooted or not rooted has no effect on playing movies.  But the file type does.

I would stay away from torrents, as it is hard to argue that it isn't theft.  Plus, I've heard you can get viruses from them.

The best way, imho, is to process a physical dvd into an .mp4 file on your computer (via catalyst or some other program).  .mp4 files are the only movie files the nook can play.  Then, once you have the .mp4 file, just hook up your nook to your computer and copy/paste it into the video folder on the nook.  It will then show up under 'my files'.  Tap it to play it.

If the dvd is protected, there are ways around that, you'll have to search online for a solution.  This is more of a gray area, as you paid to watch the movie, so all you're doing is time shifting it to watch later, imho.  This is the same sort of theory with regards to VCR's or now DVR's in your home.  I think massive distribution via torrents is theft, but others might disagree.  Torrent distribution is where you see people being prosecuted, so you have to make up your own mind on either.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Let me also mention that there are movies on Youtube at www.youtube.com/movies, and tv shows at www.youtube.com/shows

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Another issue - legality aside - with torrents is that with a torrent, you may or may not have a playable file.  I'm not sure what Handbrake or DVD Catalyst does with an .avi file that you feed it, but if the AVI uses an oddball codec, the resulting mp4 may still use that codec. 

If you download the full length DVD that's less of an issue, but many times the torrent sites offer files that are already in avi or some other format. 

Netflix films can't be downloaded and stored easily.  I'm sure there are people who've figured out how to do it, but Netflix takes pains to make it very hard - this is the key to their licensing agreements. 

Youtube is an excellent source of films, but again, these require a live internet connection. 

For content you already own on DVD, I've found Handbrake to be a great tool and have yet to see it unable to make an mp4 for from a DVD. 

A set of settings that seem to work well on my device are outline here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/5531-how-using-handbrake-convert-video-nook...

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
Weedy533
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help. We used Catalyst today it worked great on some DVD's we had. Going to buy a few DVD's of movies we want to see, hopefully it will work. Thanks again :smileyhappy:

Contributor
audioscience
0 Kudos

Glad that worked for you Weedy.

I also highly recommend DVDCatalyst.  It is the simplest way to convert a video vile or DVD to view on your Nook Color or any other Android or portable device.

Plus you can rip your own DVDs without worrying about downloading anything.  DVDs are getting so cheap these days its cheaper to just buy them then rent them from something like Google's video rental service that is forthcoming.

New User
KYNooker
0 Kudos

I am thinking of converting some of my movies to the correct format by using the DVDCatalyst program mentioned in these boards but I had a quick question. For a normal 2 hr movie, how big is the file? How big of a microSD card should I get if I want to put several movies on there? Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
tommytowery
0 Kudos

There are many Public Domain movies and TV clips at http://www.archive.org as well. I love the old 15-part serial dramas of the Fifties.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

I use 16 gb sandisk cards for movies, it allows me to put 14-16 movies on it as they range from 360 mb to 1.2 gb. Most of our movies are around 750 mb.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Reader 4
nookfanchicago
0 Kudos

Hi am new to the forum and still getting used to Nook Color - my understanding is that DVDcatalyst is for windows users only - for Mac users has anyone had success iSkysoft iMedia Converter for Mac -I dragged a video out of itunes and the software converted it to MP4 and it played on the nook - was wondering if anyone in the forum could tell me -

1. Could I have simply dragged the video out of Itunes directly to the Nook Color 

2  Do I  need a convertor if the majority of my video's are in itunes -is it the same format -MP4

3  Has anyone had success with iskysoft video 

Thanks

New User
KYNooker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks much!!

normysmom wrote:
I use 16 gb sandisk cards for movies, it allows me to put 14-16 movies on it as they range from 360 mb to 1.2 gb. Most of our movies are around 750 mb.

Correspondent
seanmw
0 Kudos

audioscience wrote:

Glad that worked for you Weedy.

I also highly recommend DVDCatalyst.  It is the simplest way to convert a video vile or DVD to view on your Nook Color or any other Android or portable device.

Plus you can rip your own DVDs without worrying about downloading anything.  DVDs are getting so cheap these days its cheaper to just buy them then rent them from something like Google's video rental service that is forthcoming.

yeah, like i was just over at walmart yesterday & they have a huge bin of DVDs on sale for $5 each :smileyhappy:.

Also the pawn shop, yard/garage sales, or second-hand stores, are great places to find low-priced DVDs.

Or, if you have friends with Nook Color's who like many of the same movies as you, perhaps you could share DVDs between the lot of you & pool money at times for new DVD acquisitions for the use of the entire group.

Let fly the Jolly Roger if none can be found to sell me red rum >=D!

Note to self: "red rum" backwards spells murder =S...
Is there a message in that? Idk *shrug*
New User
xujazi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]