Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

Mp4 Movies for NC

I  know a lot of you know how to covert movies with DVD Catalyst. But I am not that techno savvy. Is there any trust worthy sits to buy converted movies. I looked at some after doing a Google but I was a little afraid of them. I might try the  catalyst but I figure I will mess it up and my laptop.

Scribe
03FLHT2

Re: Mp4 Movies for NC

[ Edited ]

postalchick, if you never chose poweruser on Catalyst you will have a hard time messing up.  It really is easy to use.  On the 10 dollar paid version you chose Andriod and then Nook Color and put in CD and start it off it goes.  It then will tell you hook up your Nook and it will put it on the NC.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Unfortunaly there are no safe/legal websites to purchase MP4 movies from that will work on the Nookcolor. You can visit www.archive.org which has a lot of (free) out of copyright movies that you can download or stream directly, but otherwise you will have to convert your own movies.

Its not that hard. Just have a look at the guide on my website for the NOOKcolor.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

It actually is pretty easy.  I can barely dial my Blackberry but even I figured it out.

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

I just paid for the cataylist program downloaded it and messed up. It comes up error. It did ok the first time but I moved the icon to my main screen and now it will not open. Boy I am a looser. Have any ideas what I did wrong.

Distinguished Correspondent
Hermes737
0 Kudos

postalchick wrote:

I just paid for the cataylist program downloaded it and messed up. It comes up error. It did ok the first time but I moved the icon to my main screen and now it will not open. Boy I am a looser. Have any ideas what I did wrong.

Sounds like a case for Dr. DVDCatalyst.

CURRENTLY READING - Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

postalchick wrote:

I'm not sure, but at the very same time you posted this, I was assisting someone by email with experiencing similar issues, which just got resolved. Are you one and the same, PostalChick?

The problem I was dealing with was in regards of security software blocking access to my website. Thanks to McCrappee Antivirus, which was kind enough to falsley flag one of my programs as being infected a few years ago, my site gets blocked by some virus scanners that use their database. The sad thing is that it only takes a second to be added to their database, but it takes years for them to clean up their mistake.

Anyway, all my releases are scanned through a website called www.virustotal.com, which uses 40+ of the most popular virus/malware scanners, and I always make sure that the files I provide on my website are 100% clean.

If you are experiencing issues downloading DVD Catalyst 4, make sure your security software is not blocking access to the tools4movies.com website.

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

It asked if it was ok to open and I said yes. Do I need to down load again?

Been messing with it for an hour.

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

I have a 64 bit HP with CA security suit.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

The download you received is in zip-format, and while opening it when you download it should work just fine, it is easier to select download instead.

Please have a look here, and follow the steps.

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/01/dvd-to-nookcolor/

Ofcourse you do not have to purchase the software again. Just select download when you click on the link you received by email, and then follow the instructions in the guide from slightly above the first screenshot.

If that doesn't help, please send me an email at dvdcatalyst@gmail.com

Reader 2
VAMPYBITES
0 Kudos

Go on the web and search for QUICK MEDIA CONVERTER, It's FREE!

And it will convert just about ANYTHING, vids,music,Wii,PSP and MORE!

You name it.

Easy to use too.

"S"
V^^^^V

"What the difference between the Christan Reich.PETA,and the Tali ban,nothing. It's their way or no way!"©

" Enjoy LIFE, 'cause DEATH is just around the CORONER ! ©"
Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin
0 Kudos

You mean you moved the Catalyst icon to your desktop? Sounds like you may have moved the actual .exe and not the shortcut?

postalchick wrote:

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

I have the catalyst program where it comes up properly know. The nice guy from catalyst gave me some suggestions and it worked. I have not used it yet but plan to soon.  Thank you for all your help. When I mess things up trying to use it I may be whining again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

VAMPYBITES wrote:

You name it.

Easy to use too.

"S"
V^^^^V

New user, 1 post, somewhat offensive signature line that is "copyrighted"?

DVD Catalyst is easy once you know what you are doing.  Any program can be daunting for the non-tech savvy.  But the guy from Catalyst is extremely helpful, walks you through it, and very prompt in answering emails.  Plus, it has been configured to work with the NOOKcolor well. 

It is doubtful you would get that kind of service elsewhere, since it hasn't been my experience. 

By the way, McAfee is well known for false positives.  I kept getting them on another computer for all kinds of programs-it kept saying some programs were trojans and if you tried to get more information about the specific trojan it found, it was some generic McAfee one that had no information.  This is talked about a lot on the McAfee boards.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

deemure, from what it looks like, VAMPYBITES is a good old Spambot.

New User, First Post, and Advertising. The weird signature is likely a filter from B&N that prevents off-site links.

Reader 2
VAMPYBITES
0 Kudos

NO I'M NOT!!!

I WAS JUST GIVING AN SUGGESTION!!!

EXCUSE ME FOR JUST TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE!!!!!!!:smileymad:

"S"
V^^^^V

"What the difference between the Christan Reich.PETA,and the Tali ban,nothing. It's their way or no way!"©

" Enjoy LIFE, 'cause DEATH is just around the CORONER ! ©"
Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

VAMPYBITES wrote:

You name it.

Easy to use too.

Hmm, half as many 1 star rated reviews as 5 star.Interesting reading.

http://download.cnet.com/Quick-Media-Converter-HD/3000-2194_4-10787822.html

No thanks!

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

SkinnyDennis wrote:

VAMPYBITES wrote:

You name it.

Easy to use too.

Hmm, half as many 1 star rated reviews as 5 star.Interesting reading.

http://download.cnet.com/Quick-Media-Converter-HD/3000-2194_4-10787822.html

No thanks!

One of my concerns with it is the comments that it is reliant on some external sources from the internet, that for some people it changed their home page, and other weird stuff.  Don't know how true, but even if it wasn't, the lack of support and documentation even though it is free, might make it unusable for a lot of people. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst

I looked through some of the comments there too (thanks for the link Dennis) and the part about a lot of internet activity for no reason is a bit strange.

As for the post on this forum about it, the thing that always makes me wonder is the fact that someone registers as a new user on a forum just to mention some product, and then add keywords (nice for search engines) that don't apply to the thread or even the forum.

Especially when it comes to video-related stuff, there are a lot of forum-spammer bots out there. Yesterday I had someone post a "comparison" on a different forum between dvdcat and a different, free conversion tool. Of course the other program came out better in it, but when I actually ran the program, the first thing it complained about was that the free version doesn't work with commercial DVDs, so for that you needed to upgrade to the ($40) Platinum version. So much for "free". Then it claimed that the other product was faster, but when I managed to run it (thanks to a trial of AnyDVD), using the same settings, DVDCat was 3x faster than that. Also the other "issues" it mentioned were easily debunked.

These spammers try to place their affiliate links on well-used forums, combined with keywords and sentences people often look for. This gives them a lot of exposure, and when someone uses their link to purchase the software, they get up to 75% of the purchase price.

When you are looking into purchasing software, always look on the product website for an affiliate section. Visiting that will give you an idea how truthfull a review of that product can actually be. If you look at a link posted by someone, hovering over it will give you some info as well. if it contains an affiliate ID (some number at the end of the link (www.program.com/product.html&id=12345 for example) it is an affiliate link, which often means that the information can be too good to be true.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Yeah, they pretty much carpet-bomb the 'net with false "reviews."  Obviously, people who do their due diligence and research before they buy won't be tripped up by this ploy.  But people who only give the "ratings" a cursory glance and figure "with so many good reviews, it must be the best" are often going to be disappointed, and their wallet a bit lighter.  :smileyvery-happy:  

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.