Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
misstacey
0 Kudos

Music Files

I synced music from my home PC that had been ripped from CD's.  The nook is saying these are unsupported file formats.  Is there an easy way that I can convert these files so I can listen to the songs?  Otherwise, is there a way I can delete these songs from my files?

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

Re: Music Files

Make sure that you are ripping them into MP3 format.  I'm going to assume you are probably using Windows Media Player, which rips into WMA format by default.  The setting can be changed by clicking the arrow under the rip button and selecting format.

Frequent Contributor
NateSC
0 Kudos

Format Factory is a free download application for your pc that will translate many audio and video formats. Easy to use and works well. i've downloaded music vids using Real Player, stripped the video out, translated the sound to MP3 for the nook. Also translated the original complete videos to Mp4 - for Nook videos.

My observation is that Nook does not like really large video files - seems like when you get over around 20mb it will either drop the video and just play the sound or not play them at all. I suspect it doesn't have graphics memory to handle the large ones. My "BigGuy" desktop is a custom built fast grahics machine that i use to do illustrations, make videos, 3d illustrations, etc. and it has gigs of memory.... I don't expect that in the Nook and there's also a major cost difference between the two.

Nook is an awesome device and does much more than I expected it would... I only suspect it will get better in the months ahead as they juice up the technology.

Frequent Contributor
HighseasPirate

My observation is that Nook does not like really large video files - seems like when you get over around 20mb it will either drop the video and just play the sound or not play them at all.

I have played many videos on my NC.  Stargate SG1 episodes, Everybody Love Raymond, Army of Darkness, etc...  They ranged anywhere from 200-800MB and I didn't have any issues.  You just need to make sure the format(both audio and video) is correct.  Generally, any software that will format for the iPod - iPhone video will be appropriate.  All you need to do is make the resolution settings higher to look better on the NC.  I have been using DVDFAb for about 5 years now and it works great.

New User
misstacey
0 Kudos

You were exactly right.  I am now reloading everything into media player as MP3s.  Thanks for the help.

Frequent Contributor
NateSC
0 Kudos

HighseasPirate wrote:
...You just need to make sure the format(both audio and video) is correct.  Generally, any software that will format for the iPod - iPhone video will be appropriate.  All you need to do is make the resolution settings higher to look better on the NC.  I have been using DVDFAb for about 5 years now and it works great....

A laurel for you!!

Precisely... thanks for the tip.... I'm now playing larger files on NC - what I had previously just formatted as MP4, i am making into "for i-Phone" works great.

I'm finding that I appreciate Nook Color more and more - like most things, learning to use it correctly is the answer to most of the problems

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

Make sure that you are ripping them into MP3 format.  I'm going to assume you are probably using Windows Media Player, which rips into WMA format by default.  The setting can be changed by clicking the arrow under the rip button and selecting format.

Thank you Schwa.  I knew it had to be in the mp3 format, but didn't realize I had the option to select the format to mp3 on my laptop's WMP. So I did what you recommended, and I am now happily listening to Barry Manilow on my NC.   :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

"I am now happily listening to Barry Manilow on my NC"

You understand that voids the warranty, right?  :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.