Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

My app review is hidden

At the end of October '11 I purchased the Printershare app.  Unfortunately, and apparently, I was the first person who did and the first person who wrote a review.  After I installed the app into the NC I had nothing but issues with the app and nothing about these issues were in the product description, however they were known errors and issues with the app maker.  I felt that there should have been more information regarding these issues and in my review, which was direct and to the point, I pointed out this omission and warned others.  I had emailed the app maker and was updating my review accordingly.  I went from 1 star (barely) to 4 towards the end.  However, I could not update my review any longer.  In November I noticed all the reviews, including mine,  (5 of them at the time and all negative) were gone.  During the month of November I had to reset and deactivate my NC due to some strange issues with it.  I reactivated everything and reinstalled all my apps.  I hadn't needed to use the Printershare app until now and I am now receiving errors from it.  I researched their website and for one particular error they state that they are aware of it and will work on it in a future update.  This angers me as I've paid $5.00 for this app that really hasn't worked right from the start.  I went back to the BN app page, checked the reviews for Printershare to see if anyone has had any issues similar to mine.  Only 2 reviews, both positive and when I clicked on "sumit review" my old review just popped up including a message in red letters stating:

Your Review is no longer visible by others because it contains off-topic content. If you update your content, it will be reconsidered by our moderators within three business days. This message will be removed when your content is approved.

What????  Off-topic??  Who are the moderators and how is it they decide if my subject is off topic when it is all about the app??  This really angers me.  If "anonymous" app reviews can leave off topic crap and bogus remarks then how in the world is my legitimate review, with my name, considered off topic?

Here is my review: 
**10/30/11**UPDATE: I did receive a response from Support as they had a few questions for me. I see they have announced there will be an update to the app. I'm crossing my fingers as I really would love to give a better rating!

**10/29/11**UPDATE: I got my printer working using the PrinterShare software that I had to download and install on my desktop computer. BUT....I'm limited to HOW MANY pages I can print (20)!! It appears a person has to pay a MONTHLY fee to be able to have unlimited printing to their own printer only for the fact that the print job is going thru their servers then being pushed to the printer thru the internet. AGAIN FULL DISCLOSURE would have been nice.. Honesty and integrity is an important factor in purchasing apps. I have yet to hear back from support.

***10/28/11**I just purchased this app (thinking yay we can print!) but after installing it in my NC I find out that there is no drivers for my Lexmark (very open source) wireless S300-S400 series printer. Also, I tried a different driver just to see if it might work and after selecting a simple document to print a pop up for a print test came up with the option to PURCHASE a PREMIUM KEY to make it work!!?? None of this is disclosed on the app page before purchasing it. I have contacted the app maker and I am waiting a response. I will not change my review until I hear something from them.
Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: My app review is hidden

Interesting.  I wrote a positive review of QuickOffice Pro and got the red letter return but mine said I have violated the terms and conditions of the site.  I have tried several time by phone and e-mail to get an understanding of the problem and have B&N correct it.  I really believe my review was accidental placed in the rejected file.  What is even more interesting is that the red letter message said if I updated my review it would be reconsidered.  However, there does not seem to be a way to edit or update the review.  Hey, Moderator can you help us out here?

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

j-andersonjma wrote:

Interesting.  I wrote a positive review of QuickOffice Pro and got the red letter return but mine said I have violated the terms and conditions of the site.  I have tried several time by phone and e-mail to get an understanding of the problem and have B&N correct it.  I really believe my review was accidental placed in the rejected file.  What is even more interesting is that the red letter message said if I updated my review it would be reconsidered.  However, there does not seem to be a way to edit or update the review.  Hey, Moderator can you help us out here?

Yeah I saw what you had posted about this, in a different thread along w/ your actual post, and thought to myself..what did you say that was inappropriate?  LOL

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Yesterday I got an e-mail from the support team at B&N.  They provided instructions on how to edit my post.  Only problem is that the "edit" button they described is not there!  I returned the e-mail with this information.  I'll let you know what they say.  Also, I "reported your post" and left a detailed message for the moderator asking that he/she repsond to our posts.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

j-andersonjma wrote:

Yesterday I got an e-mail from the support team at B&N.  They provided instructions on how to edit my post.  Only problem is that the "edit" button they described is not there!  I returned the e-mail with this information.  I'll let you know what they say.  Also, I "reported your post" and left a detailed message for the moderator asking that he/she repsond to our posts.

Cool thanks!  Just invalidates the whole "app review" thing if they start deleting everything willy nilly or if it bothers the app makers.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

daenas wrote:

Your Review is no longer visible by others because it contains off-topic content. If you update your content, it will be reconsidered by our moderators within three business days. This message will be removed when your content is approved.

What????  Off-topic??  Who are the moderators and how is it they decide if my subject is off topic when it is all about the app??  This really angers me.  If "anonymous" app reviews can leave off topic crap and bogus remarks then how in the world is my legitimate review, with my name, considered off topic?

The people who visit the product page on the NOOK appstore are the moderators. Anyone can flag a review using the "report" button. It could be someone else, or it could be the developer.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

The people who visit the product page on the NOOK appstore are the moderators. Anyone can flag a review using the "report" button. It could be someone else, or it could be the developer.

Ultimately tho, it's the Mods who use the delete button.  I would think they would at least read the review before they hit it.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

daenas wrote:

dvdcatalyst wrote:

Ultimately tho, it's the Mods who use the delete button.  I would think they would at least read the review before they hit it.

true, but considering the fact that people can review an app without actually purchasing it, as well as a very slow approval process, I still don't have the feeling that B&N is taking its NOOKcolor and NOOKtablet as serious as they should.

You have been here long enough that you might remember that these very forums ran without moderators for quite some time. Even now, looking at 2 spam-threads in the NOOKtablet General Discussion section that have been there for almost a week, I don't even think that the community managers are actually visiting this forum as often as they should.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm looking into an answer for you. I'll update as soon as I get a response.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.