04-25-2011 01:00 PM - last edited on 06-01-2011 09:31 AM by SLevine
Q1: What is in the NOOK Color 1.2 update?
The NOOK Color Ver1.2.0 update contains new features and enhancements, including:
- Access to shop a broad collection of popular NOOK Apps™ to enjoy great games, stay up to date on news and weather, and more
- Full-featured free email to check and send web-based email (i.e., Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, AOL) all from one in-box
- NOOK Color’s update to Android OS 2.2/Froyo offers system improvements, browser performance and a more complete Web experience giving customers access to enjoy even more video, interactive and animated content. NOOK Color now includes support for Adobe® Flash® Player
- NOOK Kids™ exciting new Read and Play titles that bring animation, activities and stories together
- NOOK Books Enhanced offer in-page video and audio in a growing number of titles
- Enhancements to magazine navigation making it easier to enjoy even more of the growing selection of magazines in NOOK Newsstand
- NOOK Friends™ (beta) to see your friends’ reading activities, swap books with LendMe™, share recommendations and discover new titles
Q2: Where can I get the update if I don’t want to wait for it to be delivered automatically?
Please go to www.nookcolor.com/update and follow the instructions there.
Q3: Is there any more information about setting up my email account?
There is a helpful tutorial video titled “NOOK Color Email” at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/video.asp?
Q4: When I try to install “Angry Birds”, I get an error. Help?
This issue is being investigated by our engineering team.
WORKAROUND: Please remove any microSD cards from your NOOK Color and try again. You can reinsert the card after installation has completed.
Q5: Does the NOOK Color 1.2 update add support for reading NOOKbooks in landscape?
The NOOK Color 1.2 update does not add NOOKbook landscape support, although we have added support for page turn animations (via Settings) and for enhanced ePub content (embedded audio and/or video).
We do continue to support landscape mode in all the same applications that previously had landscape support (Magazines, NOOK Kids, Gallery, Browser, etc.) and in some NOOK Apps.
Q6: How do I turn page turn animation on?
To turn on Page Turn Animation, go to Settings, select "Reader", and then tap on the checkbox next to "Animate eBook page turns". That will turn the animation on for you in the eBook reader.
Q7: I only see 10 apps in Shop under “Spotlight Apps”. Where are the rest?
The "NOOK Apps Spotlight" only highlights 10 of the top apps.
If you want to see the rest, go to Shop, then click on on "Browse", select "Apps" (at the bottom), and finally tap on "See All". That should return you the full list of applications.
04-25-2011 01:20 PM
Q8: How come I see duplicates of all of the applications in shop?
This is under investigation by our engineering team.
WORKAROUND: Try rebooting - this solves the problem for most users.
04-25-2011 04:32 PM
Q9: If my household has 2 NOOK Colors, do I have to buy apps twice?
Assuming both NOOK Colors are using the same account, no, you don't have to purchase apps twice. Apps will behave similar to NOOKbooks in this situation. Buy them once, and they'll be available to download and install on other NOOK Colors on the same account.
04-26-2011 11:57 AM
Q10: How can I delete the sample cookbook?
The sample cookbook is actually part of the device update, and not part of your online locker. As such, it behaves similar to the User Guide and Quick Guide. None of these device-only books can be archived or recommended.
You *can* hide the sample cookbook from Home by doing a press-and-hold on the item and then selecting "Remove from Home", but there is no way (outside of rooting the device) of deleting the file, so it will always show up in your Library.
04-26-2011 12:06 PM
Q11: How come some of apps are missing their icons and are showing up as grey rectangles?
At this time, our engineers are investigating this issue.
WORKAROUND: No workaround at this time.
05-09-2011 01:18 PM
Q12: Help! I'm having Wi-Fi issues after updating to 1.2!
At this point, Wi-Fi issues are uncommon and can generally be resolved with the troubleshooting tips below. We do have individual reports of issues with some router models, but only see widespread issues for two specific routers (DLink DL-624 and Westell 327W). We are continuing to investigate possible solutions for these issues.
If Wi-Fi Connection Fails AFTER Update:
1. (If applicable) first, verify you have a proper internet connection available by connecting your other wireless devices (PC, Laptop, Smartphone etc…) and starting a search engine. This will verify the path from your modem and your router is working properly.
2. Forget Wi-Fi connection and attempt to reconnect. You can do so by tapping the up arrow on the status bar, then tap "Settings." This will take you to the Settings Menu, Tap “Wireless” then tap the SSID you intend on forgetting (router name you’re trying to connect to). A contextual menu will appear with the options to "Cancel," "Connect," and "Forget." Tap "Forget"
3. Once forgotten perform a soft reset by holding the power button for 5 seconds, a dialogue box will appear asking whether you would like to power off your device. Confirm by pressing the Power button. Wait a few seconds and restore power by pressing the Power button for 3 seconds.
4. After the soft reset was performed attempt to re-connect to your wireless router and check for connectivity.
5. If the steps did not work Restart your Modem wait until it is fully powered on; then restart your Router. After which, attempt to re-connect your device.
6. Check to see if there is a firmware update for your router.
7. Go somewhere and get a wifi connect that does work (family, friends, B&N store, restaurant, etc), then Erase & Deregister your device (NOTE: This *will* delete all user data, including side-loaded content, so please back anything up that you want saved). Go to Settings, then "Device Info", then "Erase & Deregister Device", and finally confirm by tapping on the “Erase & Deregister Device” button. Once you've returned home, try to connect to your home network again.
8. If you don't have access to another source of wifi, you can force a reset to factory settings. This is equivalent to the "Erase" portion of "Erase & Deregister Device" (NOTE: This *will* delete all user data, including side-loaded content, so please back anything up that you want saved). Power off the device by holding the power button for 5 seconds, a dialogue box will appear asking whether you would like to power off your device. Confirm by pressing the Power button. Then press both the "Power" button and the "n" button at the same time. Continue holding them and release 7 seconds *after* the "Read Forever" logo is displayed. You'll get a confirmation screen asking if you want to "Reset to factory defaults". Tap the Home key ("n" button) to confirm. When you reregister, you need to reregister with the same account as you previously had, otherwise you'll receive an error.
Q13: Help! Wi-Fi can't connect with Westell 327W!
We are continuing to investigate possible solutions to this issue. A workaround identified by users is to reset the device to the factory settings. Please see steps 7 & 8 of Q12 above.
Q14: Help! Wi-Fi can't connect to the DLink DL-624!
We are continuing to investigate possible solutions to this issue. A possible workaround indentified by users is to upgrade the router's firmware.