Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

(NC) 1.3 Sideload Downloading problems on PC?

Hi Everyone,

If you are having trouble downloading from the B&N Servers, I did too. 

I tried to get the download.  After several days of trying to get it on Windows Vista 32bit, with Internet Explorer 9, and on XP SP3, and internet explorer, I still had failures at 87%, or about 156M downloaded.   If this sounds like you, Get Firefox, or Google Chrome, Opera, or any other alternate browser, as long as it does NOT automatically expand zipped files.   LInux Mint Helena and Firefox got the file just fine.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,294

Re: (NC) 1.3 Sideload Downloading problems on PC?

Too bad B&N doesn't offer an alternate download file that is the same as the .zip file except for the extension (say, of ".ncu" -- "Nook Color Update") and then (in this case only) have the user rename (using the PC's file manager) the file extension to .zip after copying the file over to the NookColor.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted (one for sale)
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Wordsmith
robert93

Dean, I think you nailed the problem pretty well on another post....

"That's because your browsers (which, and what operating system?) are "sticking their noses into stuff that is none of their business".  Or, more appropriately, they are misdiagnosing a problem that isn't a problem.  That's because, while the downloaded file has a ".zip" extension, it isn't really a "correct" ZIP file (and doesn't need to be).

Ignore what the browsers are telling you.  If the downloaded file is 185286253 bytes in size, it is fine.  Copy it over to the Nook per the instructions."

Microsoft software has always had trouble with any file system that wasnt its own.  I remember dealing with this when trying to transfer files between Mac and PC.  The modem would hang mid transfer, and that was in the ancient days.  I've also run across Linux distro files that read to anti-virus as "decompression bombs" when it was just a LInux image, no viruses at all.

I will download some browsers, and see what they do on windows, and report back, although this looks like a very limited occurance.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, working on a VistaHome 32bit system, with IE9, the download times out at various spaces depending on unknown conditions, once it times out, it will NOT restart on its own.  For this reason, your best bet is to get either a download manager, or get Firefox which has a sort of "download manager" built in. IE9 fails, Google Chrome fails, the download stalls with Firefox, BUT, with the download manager, you can "pause" after the hang, then resume the download and that seems to work.

Steps taken, 

remove router from connection path

turn off Windows Firewall

Trun off Anti-virus protection

turn off secure browsing in IE9

set security level to LOW (never recommended)   still failed.

Disabled smartscreen filtering, no change

I did NOT try  command line "ftp GET", there's a limit to my geekiness :smileyvery-happy: