Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MEtten
0 Kudos

Re: [NC] 1.3 Software Update

Tracy,

First things first....was I writing to Routabout asking for his help at this time or was I originally responding to his comments to SLevine? Do you know? Routabout is the individual who told me that B&N reads these forums and if so, they will be helping me right? Or is Routabout false? You seem to know or claim you do.

But when I specifically stated in my post why I was writing to a top highlighted forum originated by SLevine from B&N (which did you know that?) and echoing routabout's question to Mr. Levine as to his hopes in 1.3 correcting wi-fi issues which it does not (but was told last night when it was sent to me it was going to) it was beleived that routabout knew that the original post of the great new things of 1.3 that Mr. Levine began the forum and that routabout knows inside information when he tells me they will see it - now you just tell me know they don't - so bottom line I acted on what Routabout stated and his record here and you are know aware of some of the picture and situation but outside of that - please do not judge me as I do not judge you and put words and intentions into my psot that you do not understand ! Remember ASSUME ? Did I ever say it was his fault or my upset was directed at him either or did I ever indicate or say I want to tell you Routabout this about you personally....???? REMEMBER ASSUME NEVERMORE1?  Let's he cast the last stone....

Mike

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

Re: [NC] 1.3 Software Update

You clearly like to start stuff up and I don't feel like being bothered with your attitude problem which is worse then my 13 year olds. When you write in all caps it is the same as yelling and very rude and I don't see why someone would have to "yell" at someone who is trying to help them.
Frequent Contributor
MEtten
0 Kudos

Re: [NC] 1.3 Software Update - DOES NOT SOLVE WIFI ISSUES

Deemure,

Again, I address my comments specifically to Routabout who I am now chatting with. Do you normally feel it necessary to speak for others regardless of a pre-existing relationship I may have with someone? I think Routabout can speak for himself and he already has. You do not know myself nor Routabout personally do you, nor our relationship?

Thanks for the extension of kindness in this forum with your helpful comments !

Mike

Frequent Contributor
joestravels
0 Kudos

I have a linksys WRT110 and never had a issue. Just to add to the list.
Frequent Contributor
MEtten
0 Kudos

Thanks Joe for the input. I would think of all router manufacturers that a Linksys/Cisco would be in line with industry standards. Did you simply use the default settings on the router? Those did not work for myself.

Mike

Frequent Contributor
MEtten
0 Kudos

Routabout,

Thanks again and in the past for your help.

Regarding the DLink DI (eye)- 624 - That one I actually do not use given that is older technology - Thanks for looking into that one.

Re: The "downgrade" (smiles) to Firmware 1.1 - I will put that on my to do list for tomorrow after further testing the 2nd nook which I spoke of previously, that is scheduled to be delivered on Thursday. The connection results on that differing (new) test unit may also shed some light. I have seen your positive comment on the 1.1 version echoed on other forums as well as being the better tcp/ip stack. Just find it difficult to beleive we need to go backwards in a firmware - unfortunate but may "temporarily" correct the problem (but what if I want to upgrade later? Smiles). 

Regarding Refurb or New - Yes, they have all been certified tested refurbs. As mentioned, I am willing to test a new unit if B&N sends one out or reurn the two I have for a full refund but B&N has yet to provide that option either.  

Comment on Difficulties Experienced: I agree Routabout ! I  Without going into detail, I have never seen anything like it in my 30 years in IT and have hooked up many a computer in my life. : )

In closing: Yes I am in many possibly like you in helping others. I have a long history in doing so. I am broke financially, but so be it. I prefer not for profit volunteering myself - takes out the greed/money component out of the equation...smiles ! Bless ya, Routabout and thanks again !!!

Mike

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

[ Edited ]

People don't need permission to share their opinions on a public forum, no matter who doesn't like it.

Just because a specific person starts a thread, it does not mean that it is to be immediately assumed that all comments are directed toward that person.  The only way to ensure a response from only the person you are speaking to on a public forum is to PM him/her.

Being frustrated does not give anyone license to yell at or otherwise be rude to someone who is only trying to help.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

@Nallia: Noooooooooo......oh noooooooo! I have been reading this thread on and off for the last 20 minutes and sitting (figuratively speaking) on my hands and biting my virtual tongue, but you had to jump in, read my mind, and share my thoughts with the group. If you get "blasted", I am standing by to take some of the guff on your behalf as you just proved braver than me! Can I say it now? Just.."ye gads" with the utmost respect to all involved...but "yikey magikey!"
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Frequent Contributor
MEtten

Hi Nallia,

Thank you for your constructive criticism and knowing in advance my intentions which again you chose to comment on regardless of my relationship with Routabout and your lack of knowledge on what has happened in the past nor denying my frustration and right to speak my mind to B&N as it was directed to (which again you know but continue to feel you have a right to comment at me).  

Again, you do not know any of details, refuse explanations, continue to TRY and berate me (but I do not even give you that much power nor should anyone. And even if you did, I can see you who choose to show no empathy to someone as well. How does that feel since you have given me so much power and are so insightful to everyone elses business. I

You say....The only way to ensure a response from only the person you are speaking to on a public forum is to PM him/her....but your actions are to send me an email here. Hmm...wonder why you chose public when I am a new user and do not have that insight of the PM feature (which again was sent in hopes that B&N provide a solution...but that you missed) and you choose to make public comments about me with 4230 posts and still haven't learned yourself !!! He who casts....assume....sounds a tad hypocritical. Smiles ! "Being frustrated does not give anyone license to yell but publicly criticize Nallia thinks she dictates !"

Mike

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,949

[ Edited ]

Bro, mess with Nallia and you mess with all of us.

Contributor
fritch
0 Kudos

Well, ummm , I also am disgusted with that newbies attitude if it wasn't for people's thoughts or ideas on a subject we would all have kindles. Not a decent ereader or a rooted , sideloaded tablet. My opinion is he is a ignorant techie that can' t even spell someones name right
Feel the Bite
Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

And that uncooperative NookColor still sits on the table, laughing at us......

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

flyingtoastr wrote:

Bro, mess with Nallia and you mess with all of us.

Amen, Toastr.  Amen.  Particularly when he maka-no-sense.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

MEtten, Ok, what!?! First off, this isn't email. Secondly, you chose to publicly ask roustabout if he was working for BN, rather than acknowledge he has basically been here just helping out people. But then you have some past relationship, but are a new user. Maybe you don't know how to use the PM feature, well then so be it, but that is no reason to act like a nincompoop to people. I pointed out the positives of what roustabout does for people. You chose to take that and be nasty and say this was personal for roustabout. Nallia advised you there's a proper way to send roustabout a message and you rip her apart. Is it possible for you to be nice in between those times you help people?

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
MEtten
0 Kudos

GeerTM,

Thanks for the input ! I did go to that website and saw that my routers (previously provided here) are compatible with the dd-wrt firmware. I have a note to check it out in more detail tomorrow when I receive my second Nook Color.

I definitely need to read up on the dd-wrt software more and see the relationship to the Nook Color wi-fi communication. Any other insights are greatly appreciated as are your efforts here !

Thanks again GeerTM - You sound like a network/router guy like me ! : )

Mike

Contributor
fritch
0 Kudos

Ooooh kissy kissy
Feel the Bite
Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

I've used the dd-wrt software before, and it is preferrable to the cutesy web based crap a lot of router builders have gone to, and is well documented. A tech guy could have lots of fun with the available tweaks, and being able to set the router just the way it should be.   I'd recommend , as with any rom modification , try to back up the existing firmware on the router, just in case the performance is not what you are hoping for, or it doesnt solve the problem.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

I, hereby, tender to all, compassion and empathy for any and all frustrations suffered by all Nookcolor owners since it was introduced last fall. Most of us here on the boards have experienced or not experienced something NC-related that has caused us varying amounts of nail-biting, head-scratching, foot-stomping, fist-pounding irritation, frustration, annoyance, sadness, anger or other varied levels of anxiety. We should still behave as a cohesive, supportive community as much as possible. If more than a few people take "issue" with the "way" one has expressed oneself in a particular post or thread, then maybe one should take a deep breath and consider how one's expression may have come across in this singular instance. I have, personally, had to do so so on these boards as regards past threads so please don't respond with "pot...kettle" commentary. I want people to be happy with their nookcolors cause I love mine, so I stand behind all the "helpers" in this community and their willingness to volunteer their time to helping. @Nallia: Please consider "guff" taken! Love you, too, Flyingtoaster and rouStabout ;0)
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, folks, I'm fine with MEtten, okay?  I really didn't have much of an issue, aside from 'I hear you're frustrated, but the caps lock isn't helping."  He's super frustrated, because he's done a lot of work on this issue and he's gotten a runaround from CS. 

A couple of weeks back, he posted a very thorough troubleshooting report over in tech support:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Nook-Color-ereader-amp-intermittent-co...

It sounds like his issues are ongoing. It is generally more valuable to be collegial than grumpy, yes.  And I think, normally, he gets that. 

On who reads the threads:  I think BN reads 'em, in part because a couple of the routers they've ack'ed trouble with were ID'ed in a thread we started just after 1.2 got underway - the DLink DL-624 and Westell 327W.  It's my impression that the Nook Engineer sticky and some of the troubleshooting emerged out of that community-generate thread. 

I'm actually still not clear on how many of the fixes for networking made it into 1.3.  I'm hoping (haven't sent the mail yet) that Furyu will plug back in his old router and let us know if 1.3 addresses the issues he was having before he gave up and replaced it. 

It's also my impression that there may be something specific to MEtten's environment that NCs just don't like.  If I'm reading it right, he's tested two refurbs and both are acting squirrely at this point. I think we'd have heard more about it by now if it was common for refurbs to have borked networking. 

Finally, I'm realizing I misstated what the Nook Engineer was telling us - he was not addressing 1.3, and I'm still curious about how many fixes got into the release.  He was addressing issues known to be present in 1.2. 

Now, let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya together, okay? 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
deemure
0 Kudos

Just right, normysmom.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.