Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
furyu

Re: [NC] 1.3 Software Update - DOES NOT SOLVE WIFI ISSUES

[ Edited ]

More deviation and pettiness.  Typical, typical.  Of course, you cannot answer to any of the questions presented to you, just like the rest of the 'clique' can't answer.  

I have no reason to be "a troll."  

I only post here when I have an 'issue' to deal with.  Such as I do now that BN has updated once again.  I don't hang out here like the rest of you....

Oh, nevermind.

Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...
~L.C.Powell

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

furyu wrote:

Of course, you cannot answer to any of the questions presented to you, just like the rest of the 'clique' can't answer.   

Um, I did.  "Attaboy", "volunteer" and "You need to remember, roustabout" were all attempts to belittle another poster.  Belittling someone, not what they have said, but them, is both personal and vitriolic.

This statement is out and out rude and uncalled for:  So does helping B&N here as a volunteer help you and provide you any good? Just curious since you commented on me.

Generally I believe it's inexcusable to be rude to someone who is actively attempting to assist - especially when they aren't required to do so.  

Wordsmith
robert93

CEASE FIRE!!!!!!      EVERYBODY!!!     Let the smoke clear, (slips on black 'impersonator' hat )

This forum is for HELPing people, by pointing out problems experienced with the device, and seeking solutions.  A definite byproduct of the device not working up to expectations is short fuses.  Only moderators are being paid to be here, and i am not even sure of that.  If we can help ourselves by solving problems great, if we can call attention to a problem and find out its one of major concern to many nook users great.  Sure its easy to get livid when a comment goes where the reader feels its out of bounds, but there is a PROCESS FOR DEALING WITH THIS.  One can always ASK the person if you are interpreting their comments correctly IN private message, or politely in public forum.  If you are SURE it was an attack on a person, or by any community standards was a foul, please REPORT ABUSE to the moderators, and let them take the appropriate actions.  It will prevent further inappropriate situations like continued bickering.  Deep breath, in...... out...... ok, back to these &*()^)%^) annoying devices...... work the problems, not the people.... (rant over)

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

I agree it's a good idea to move on, but will state one last thing. The statement Ya_Ya posted was what I commented on, where the inference was that roustabout was helping people in order to get something from B&N. I commented without saying anything mean about the post, with nice words regarding all the kind help roustabout gives others. For that, I got told basically to mind my own business, that the public posts were private conversations with roustabout. When Nallia stated there was a way to carry on private conversations, she got told off as well. This thread has devolved into one where one person wishes to carry on attacks regarding old discussion, and another that needs help with one very frustrating issue has yet to find an appropriate way to do so or the appropriate person or persons that can help. I have pointed out the need to perhaps move the issue elsewhere so as to get the recognition it needs on its own and will have a place for anyone with similar issues.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
Darthservo
0 Kudos

Re: [NC] 1.3 Software Update

Update wasn't automatically downloading via wifi the whole week, so I figured I'd try sideloading.  It is not working for me.  I also am receiving the exclamation andy when trying to install.

It appears to always be generated on the extraction process (the unpacking icon), then the triangle and exclamation point appear.  Have to tap the power button and select reboot to get back into NC 1.2.  The zip file is subsequently deleted from NC.

Have tried redownloading and recopying to root of NC - still no luck.

Model No: BNRV200   I can post SN if needed.

I noticed a couple other posters have received this same error, hope we don't get lost in the mix.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ

Darthservo wrote:

Update wasn't automatically downloading via wifi the whole week, so I figured I'd try sideloading.  It is not working for me.  I also am receiving the exclamation andy when trying to install.

It appears to always be generated on the extraction process (the unpacking icon), then the triangle and exclamation point appear.  Have to tap the power button and select reboot to get back into NC 1.2.  The zip file is subsequently deleted from NC.

Have tried redownloading and recopying to root of NC - still no luck.

Model No: BNRV200   I can post SN if needed.

I noticed a couple other posters have received this same error, hope we don't get lost in the mix.

Try tapping the power switch when you have the exclamation triangle error. Does the icon go away and leave you with a more explanatory Clockwork Recovery page? If so, here's what's happening and what you need to do:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Problems-updating-to-1-3/m-p/11...

My guess is that this is your problem since I've only read of folks getting the exclamation triangle error are those with CWR on their nc rather than the expected B&N files in a hidden partition.

Report back, please!

Reader
reteach04
0 Kudos

Re: [NC] 1.3 Software Update: Landscape View for Books

[ Edited ]

I am also disappointed that Landscape view is still unavailable for reading books. If we had this option, we could read a book in the bright sunlight with your prescription sunglasses on. Just try it, turn your NC to the landscape orientation and see how the book's black & white print is completely readable, no glare, just as good as the eink readers.

Inspired Contributor
j_collins
0 Kudos

I have decided to wait until B&N updates my Nook Color. It really is an experiment to learn how far down the "wave" I am. So now it is Saturday and still no update. I am curious to know how long I should wait before "giving up"?
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Back at 1.01 and 1.1 some people were still waiting 12 (I think?!) days out.

It could be a couple of weeks.

deemure
0 Kudos

j_collins wrote:
I have decided to wait until B&N updates my Nook Color. It really is an experiment to learn how far down the "wave" I am. So now it is Saturday and still no update. I am curious to know how long I should wait before "giving up"?

Depends on your patience level or lack thereof. As Ya_Ya points out, it could take some time. My cousin and I have the same phones, same network, same account. I got an update that she didn't get for another day. So with any device there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when updates happen. It also seems with the NC if the update server can't connect to a nook, it moves on and that nook gets it later when it comes back around. It will not keep trying. That is one thing that many wish would change. Again, on my phone I get a notification an update is available and can start it when I notice it.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
j_collins
0 Kudos

Thanks. I'm just being stubborn about the situation. I am curious as to "wave" assignments. Having purchased last Thanksgiving I thought I would be near the top. It's beginning to look like I'm at the bottom. I may have to give in and download it myself.
New User
Darthservo
0 Kudos

@CraigAZ

It would appear it's the CWR issue.  Would have been nice to know in advance that booting from SD still interferes with NC boot-critical components.  So goes life.

I guess my only options are to spend a lot of effort into removing CWR or forego the update.

Thanks for the link! 

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

The hardest part of the CWR removal is probably reading all the threads to get to the shortest removal process,,, best of luck :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

I'm getting in on this late, and for those who say let it alone, I chose not to, so live with it.

Let’s get a few things straight..

Roustabout is one heck of a guy, try’s to help everyone, even JERKS!  Even better Roustabout has the tech ability to really help, compared to some who make recommendations without any troubleshooting, which may send the user with a problem off in the wrong direction.  So treat Roustabout with great respect and appreciation. In fact Roustabout is so good I have pretty much given up the help side of posting he is just so much better and more knowledgeable.

Nallia is the most appreciated poster on this forum, hardly a negative ever comes through in her posts and most appreciate whatever she posts.  No wonder she is the top laureled poster on this board.  On top of that she is one great looking chick.  So be nice.

Deemure is my twin sister, NOT!  We are the opposite sides of a coin politically but we are faithful supporters of the Nookcolor and we don't take it lightly when newbies start trashing the Nookcolor. You can count on us to say exactly what we think and not pull any punches.  We know the NC isn't perfect but we also know that in the real world some devices fail and dealing with those failures in a mature sensible manner will usually get one to the desired solution.  Deemure will defend, return insults, and stand toe to toe and duke it out with anyone that wants to debate any topic or criticize the NC or her favorite posters on this forum.  I'm Deemure's brother in this cause as well.

Others who have come to the defense of the above forum members in this thread feel pretty much the same as Deemure and myself.  We know that the vast majority of NC owners love their NC, out of the few that have had problems, those that act rationally usually get their problems solved, others with NC problems who whine, get rude with those helping, you are not helping yourself or going to get a positive response from most.  We don't care how many different things you tried, you haven't earned the right to be snarky, rude, inconsiderate, etc.  Whatever your credentials are we don't care, if your a IT or college professor, disabled, etc, none of that matters once you cross a line.

In addition to those who genuinely help, and contribute around here there are a few that are like a boil on your skin, their attitude is toxic they have very little good to say, and usually when they post it is often painful and crude ozzes out.  Maybe a better description is one "fury" gopher that starts digging holes in a perfectly good lawn, no matter how hard you try to get rid of the critter he keeps tearing up the nice lawn with his destructive behavior (comments).

As to the main poster everyone is trying to make clear his posts and choices of words have been rude, and worse, dude grow up.  Telling us you have IT experience, college IT training and professorship, decades of experience, and disabled, (how many times did he mention disabled), doesn't mean a thing, you don't have street cred on this forum.  Before you start giving advice to others, make sure your gear works first.  Another thing you took your chances buying refurbished NCs, whenever you buy anything refurbished you know it is a risk, at least most adults know this.  I buy refurbished all the time but I am prepared to deal with the possibility that the product may not work.  You tried to save a few bucks and are upset you didn't win this time, blame yourself not the members of this forum.  I bought a refurbished wifi network printer server from Tigerdirect last year, it didn't work with Windows 7, but would work with my XP pro laptop, and our two other Vista laptops, I spent a week reading, calling support, etc, must have tried a dozen different configurations, none would work, answer I returned it to Tigerdirect.  That is the first rule in buying refurbished know your vendor and the return or exchange policy for refurbished goods.  I didn't spend a week on the mfg. forum bashing the product, guess what many others had the same problem on that forum, some claimed to have a fix, posted those their fix but none of it worked, there one one option left return the product. (Not I’m not recommending Tigerdirect,  I do recommend Newegg.)

Why should I bother repeating what others have said to this idiot complainer who thinks that when others correct him for biting the hand that is helping him they are out of line?  Because it’s a public forum and we can, if you don't like it then don't post and don't read this forum.  BTW it has been pretty boring around here lately we needed a little activity.

This post was just for bashing, we can address B&N's failures in another post. :smileyhappy:

deemure

You are so right on many points, yocalif. We all understand there are flaws in every device made by man and perhaps I am your evil twin. Or, you're mine. I still believe it is basically impossible for any company to completely satisfy everyone. There are also a lot of companies that never try and don't have boards that offer the type of help this one does, both corporate and user help. If a person cannot connect at all with the router they have, but can connect to wifi at free hotspots, then either, get a new router (they are not that expensive), go nookless, or buy only what you can sideload, or use your cell phone as a hotspot, or ask a neighbor to use their wifi sometimes, or use the library's, museum's, coffee house's, wifi when you want to download, or I am out of suggestions. Personally, I would check the list of routers that work and save some pennies for one. I know money may be hard to come by but this is the only thing that makes sense short of getting rid of the nooks or traveling all the time. Then, sell the other router on ebay.
And, as always consider that most of the folks here volunteer their time to try and help others, not to help BN, but often because they want others to enjoy their NCs as much as they do. They feel less like helping when called names or told to butt out or when someone posts that the NC is a pile of worthless garbage and BN owes them money for their trouble. Who could offer help to someone like that? Often, this type of person just loves misery, hangs around to stir the pot, and never offers constructive ideas. This is a forum for helping people, but no one here is required to help those that are black holes of dispair.
Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Hi all--

As a reminder, I invite all users who are experiencing Wi-Fi connectivity issues with their devices to contact me to troubleshoot their problems or perhaps, just have a B&N ear listen to them. Please remember that I will *do my best* to find a resolution with which you will be happy.

I do hope that users choose this route over the alternative, which evidently involves disagreements about how other forum users enjoy their devices or choose to help their peers troubleshoot.  This seems like a waste of effort and time, as no problem-solving can be done through this latter route. 

**would like to thank those here who have helped their peers install the 1.3 update!

As always, reach out to me with questions or concerns.

-Sam

Reader 2
tejadab
0 Kudos

Just thought I would let others know that the 1.3 software update DID in fact solve my wifi connectivity problem. I only got my NC a month and a half ago and it had 1.2 installed and I could not get it to connect to my wifi at home(Microsoft MN700 router). I called customer service to no avail, then went to McD's, connected fine on their wifi so at least I could register and knew that there was no problem with my Nook, decided I didn't want to downgrade and gave up for the time being on being able to connect. When I saw the new update available I waited a couple of days to see if it was solving anyone's wifi issues, but saw no mention of it, so decided to give it a try. I sideloaded the update and updated my Nook w/o issue, then tried to connect to my wifi and it instantly connected and works fine now.

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

Nevermore1 wrote:
You clearly like to start stuff up and I don't feel like being bothered with your attitude problem which is worse then my 13 year olds. When you write in all caps it is the same as yelling and very rude and I don't see why someone would have to "yell" at someone who is trying to help them.

I agree. I've had it with his attitude problem as well. D-Link routers are crap and that's well known. I have had zero problems connecting to Netgear and Linksys routers so perhaps he should spare us anymore tantrums and buy one of those brands instead.

Inspired Contributor
nookloverjf
0 Kudos

Hey SIGal67, I have a D-Link router that I bought 6 years ago, used from ebay and sometimes my wife, daughter and I are on it at the same time. Also, my NC worked fine with 1.1,1,2, and now 1.3 software. I guess I am just lucky. I'm just teasing SIGal67. But don't diss my router. Them's fighting words.:smileyhappy:

Reader
heltona
0 Kudos

can anyone tell me is there a way to transfer my bn books to my computer so i dont have to redownload everything afer i install the new update i have everything else in adobe digital editions but not the bn ones .   is the new update worth doing or should i just stick with 1.2