Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

NC App for for non-verbal children with autism or any other speech disorder

I just saw a news release for a NC App called TapToTalk.  Its developers say it is the portable, customizable, affordable, socially acceptable communication solution for non-verbal children with autism, apraxia, Down Syndrome, or any other speech disorder. http://www.taptotalk.com/product.aspx?p=nookapp

It is available in the Android Marketplace and in the NC App store for those who are not rooted.  http://taptotalk.blogspot.com/2011/04/give-taptotalk-try-on-your-nook.html

This looks like it could be very useful to parents of autisic and other non verbal children.  I am interested as I have a autistic graddaughter than is not yet speaking.

The  app is free but if you want to create personalized pictures with audio there is a significant charge on the PC side.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: NC App for for non-verbal children with autism or any other speech disorder

[ Edited ]

That's an interesting app, and I'm glad it's available on the ipod Touch units. 

The NC is a nice platform for anything but outputting sound unless you hook it up to an external speaker or headset. 

Edit, since I still can:  this app does remarkably well at being audible on the NC.

Sound out on the ipod Touch is probably better and I think they cost around the same.  But if you already own the nook color, do check this out. 

On the one hand, the Touch is easier to lose.

Oon the other hand, it's more portable and has less screen to break.  And a more mature ecosystem of otterboxes, etc. for really ruggedizing them.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

I download the App from the Android Marketplace and the volumn was surprisingly loud and very distingushable, even in the case.  I am impressed.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

That would have been freaking awesome when my son was younger. He has autism and oral and verbal apraxia. The apraxia was quite severe. We actually taught him sign language and he had a picture board he used to use for when he had to communicate with people who didn't sign. He didn't speak in anything resembling a sentence till he was 5. He's 9 now and can speak quite well (he still has quite a few articulation issues we're working on), but this type of thing would have made it whole lot less stressful on all involved, including him.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

rbentley:

OK, I should have tried it.  I am impressed with this.  The words are indeed very audible, far more so than on other apps I've tried on the NC.  I would like to see how this works on an iphone or itouch, but it is viable on the NC, I agree. 

My impression is that what they've done is use sound from the most-audible and least-likely-distorted frequencies in the app, probably emphasizing the band from ~ 500 hz - 4 khz or so.

When music is this loud on my nook, the speaker goes into dramatically audible distortion, but not so with this app.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.