Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mac79pr
0 Kudos

NC Battery Life

Hi,

Just wondering. How much do you use your NC and how much time does your NC's battery last you?

For me its lasts me 2 or 3 days maybe.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: NC Battery Life

4.5 to 5 hours usually, unless I'm actually reading on it. I usually charge it every night, twice a day on my days off.

Contributor
jaleesa_88
0 Kudos

My daughter plays with it for a good few hours a day playing Angry Birds or we read her books over and over together.  And I read for a few hours every night after she goes to bed and I charger it every other night it seems like.  I would love it if I could go longer without charging it, I think it would make my daughter happier lol.  

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

I posted a trip report on battery life for long plane rides (my experience only, not a test).  Might help for comparison.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I charge mine every night--it's just convenient to do that.  I use it for web browsing fon an hour to an hour and a half at about 255 brightness in the morning; an hour and a half, maybe more at night at about 10-15% brightness, wifi on.  It's generally at about 6--70% by the time I go to bed.  I've used to for two days camping, no wifi, no web browsing, for two days with no electricity--reading about 3 hours each day, so six hours, and it was certainly not drained.  I'm thinking maybe 40-50% remaining on the battery.  I was impressed--and delighted. 

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

if you want to supplement your internal battery time so as to play angry birds or read on that trans-atlantic flight or find yourself having to wait 90 minutes at the doctor's office and only have 7% battery left, look into one of these.

http://www.duracell.com/en-US/product/instant-usb-charger.jspx

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Mack_the_Knife wrote:

if you want to supplement your internal battery time so as to play angry birds or read on that trans-atlantic flight or find yourself having to wait 90 minutes at the doctor's office and only have 7% battery left, look into one of these.

Thanks for the link! Nearest retailer is .75 miles away, and I considered myself semi-rural.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I recharge mine every night but I keep a Zagg Sparq on hand "just in case".  The Sparq is another external battery with 2 USB ports.  It's a handy way to make sure neither my cell phone nor my Nook are out of power.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Mack,

how much charge does it provide to the NC?  for instance, if my NC is at 15% and I plug in the Duracell, will it charge it up fully?  Will it recharge the NC battery as well a let me continue reading? 

While charging hasn't been too much of an issue for me, I am looking at some trips that migt make having a little extra portable power might me nice.

Thanks!

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

Mack_the_Knife wrote:

Mack, have you tried one with the NC?  How does it work--satisfaction?  I see WalMart carries it on line.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

On another note, I've finally seen my first ad for a replacement battery (with tools) for the nook color. Has anyone else seen them advertised through a battery shop or website?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATTERY-Barnes-Noble-NOOK-color-DR-NK02-ENCORE-UK-/390318872914

Oh wait, a Google search for DR-NK02 brings up several sources.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

kingskidjan wrote:

Mack, have you tried one with the NC?  How does it work--satisfaction?  I see WalMart carries it on line.

King,

you can upgrade with the "powerhouse" unit , if you don't mind the extra bulk, for cheaper than walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FU6KG6/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

JinSC wrote:

kingskidjan wrote:

King,

you can upgrade with the "powerhouse" unit , if you don't mind the extra bulk, for cheaper than walmart.

Thanks Jeremy!  Wow that is quite a reduction from the best price that one of durecells listed people gave of $39.99.  I've not bought from Amazon before, how do we know if it is a good and safe dealer, etc?

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

kingskidjan wrote:
  I've not bought from Amazon before, how do we know if it is a good and safe dealer, etc?

King,

Amazon may be the largest dealer on the internet, and if not the largest then one of them.  I went ahead and bought the unit from the site I indicated, and it was secured and Norton gave it a clean bill of health.  I have purchased other items from Amazon and have had not complaints. 

Since I have had no problems, I can't comment on their return policies or customer service.  Perhaps someone else can comment on these???

Jeremy

Inspired Correspondent
Lineola
0 Kudos

I'm confused about these portable chargers--I thought these things might not work--do you use the cord from your Nook charger when you plug in to these. Does it actually charge or just keep the NC from draining?

My partner sells portable chargers...I hadn't tried plugging my NC in yet because I was afraid it might cause a problem.

Lineola

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

Jeremy, Thanks for the information.  I wanted that model because of the voltage that I saw listed as 3.7v on one of the other sites.  I think I'll give it a go too. 

Jan

Wordsmith
CraigAZ

kingskidjan wrote:

JinSC wrote:

kingskidjan wrote:

King,

Thanks Jeremy!  Wow that is quite a reduction from the best price that one of durecells listed people gave of $39.99.  I've not bought from Amazon before, how do we know if it is a good and safe dealer, etc?

Amazon is as good as it gets. Just two points to be made:

First, when buying directly from Amazon or from a Seller with "Fulfillment from Amazon" who offers free S&H with Super Saver Shipping, you must be sure to click the free shipping option in checkout--otherwise, you will be charged shipping.

Second (and this is a big one), many items including the one being discussed here can be bought from from Amazon, by a vendor with "Fulfillment by Amazon", or by a vendor who simply advertises on Amazon.
I see that this item is not being sold by Amazon directly but is rather being sold by "Featured Merchants." Be sure to check the "Seller Rating" of the vendor you wish to buy from. Personally, I think I'd pay the extra $5.50 or so and at least buy from a vendor who has "Fulfillment by Amazon."

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Lineola,

I can't answer all of your questions, but yes, you would have to use the NC cord with this portable charger.  Your NC cord looks like a regular mini-usb cord, but it is not.  It has extra pins in the port going to your NC to deliver more power.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info!

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

--> upgrade with the "powerhouse" unit , if you don't mind the extra bulk

yes, get this unit, not the smaller one but only the size of a playing card (watch the demo).  i went back to change the link to the powerhouse unit but it wouldn't let me edit my post.  anyway, the smaller unit does work but only adds about an hour of battery life.  granted, i was playing a game to test so i imagine if you were reading it would last longer.  the smaller unit works by adding additional battery power, not by charging the NC battery.  if you look in the display with the duracell plugged in (with you NC charging cord) the battery status will say, Not Charging.  so, although it's not charging, it isn't discharging either.

i have not tested the larger powerhouse although i have 2 on order.  with its higher amperage it may actually charger the NC battery, otherwise it will just supplement the battery in the NC extending it probably 2-3 hours.

♥ Children make you want to start life over