Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

NC:Gallery: Any word?

Sam, any word on a fix on the Gallery app.  We have a work around, many of us no longer use the Gallery, but it fills up with multiple thumbnails for every picture on our NCs.   Also, I am having problems with the Music app displaying embedded art in MP3s.  It shows the art from the same mp3 for every one played. (see earlier posts).  Any ideas?

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Re: NC:Gallery: Any word?

Check the threads on .nomedia , an empty file that you place in the folders so gallery does not parse images
7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

CaptianGuy, So, if we put that in the folder containing our albums, gallery would not see them?  I'll try that.  Thanks.

We still need a proper Gallery and a proper Music player.  When you show someone your NC and the see the trainwreck apps we have now, they are less than impressed.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy

YES... put in each folder that you want to protect from the gallery.  OR if you put in My FIles. you'll get no images, not even those in Pictures.

Create a blank file with notepaf... make sure name is .nomedia  NOT .nomedia.txt.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Thanks Capt.  I'll put it in My Files.

Did you ever get rid of the icons?

Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid
0 Kudos

@cfbush. I dont know if this matters or not or if it is even relevant but when I was poking around yesterday visiting thenwebsites of some of the app developers who have apps in the store I found that agilefusion is the creator of the gallery app for the Nook Color. And I believe the musicnapp also. If you visit agilefusion.com I beliebe it is and poke around a bit you should be able to see this. Maybe you could try contacting them for some help or changes? Like I said im not sure it is relevant or not but cant hurt to look. Andnsorry for the typos. Im tired and typing on my Nook.
Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Thank you for the info. I will check it out. Nice find!
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Captain Guy,

Thank you! I had stopped using gallery after the update because 130 side-loaded Calibre-created book covers became intersperced with my personal pictures.  Everytime I deleted the extra cover thumbnails, they were automatically re-created. 

I created a blank .nomedia in notepad, and made sure it was saved as type "all files" and not .txt. I added it .nomedia to each affected book file and most of the thumbnails disappeared from my gallery.  What a great solution to this problem!

Three cheers and a laurel for the Captain:

Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

KidneyKid wrote:
@cfbush. ...I found that agilefusion is the creator of the gallery app for the Nook Color. And I believe the music app also.
Maybe you could try contacting them for some help or changes?

As I mentioned a while back, AgileFusion is responsible for a lot of the software on the NC:

"The rest of the major UI elements, i.e., the Home Screen, ReaderUI, magazine viewer, e-mail, LendMe, etc. were built for them by their launch partner, Agile Fusion.  Who also wrote their original free apps: Music Player, Gallery, Pandora, and games: Sudoku, Chess, and Crosswords.  And also 22 of the apps currently in their App Shop."

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/App-issue-NC-version-1-2/m-p/10...

While contacting them about the apps they have in the Shop may be productive, I'm not as sure about the B&N apps.  Since B&N commissioned them, it seems like they would have to be the ones to say something should be fixed or improved.  Even if AF enhanced the Gallery, they'd have to get B&N to include it.

It doesn't hurt to ask, though, and I'd be interested in hearing Alexey's response.

- Mark

Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid
0 Kudos

@Mark. Sorry didnt realize you had already posted about agilefusion. To everyone: Maybe since agilefusion did create this app and as Mark said they probably cannot change it without B&N allowing them to we could all contact them asking them to create a better one and then sell it in the app store? Since we know they created the original we know they have the tools to make another and hopefully improve it. Just a thought.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

KidneyKid wrote:
@Mark. Sorry didnt realize you had already posted about agilefusion.
Not a problem.  I just wanted to confirm it, and fill in the blanks.  A lot of people are unaware of how much AgileFusion has contributed to the NC user experience.
To everyone: Maybe since agilefusion did create this app and as Mark said they probably cannot change it without B&N allowing them to we could all contact them asking them to create a better one and then sell it in the app store? Since we know they created the original we know they have the tools to make another and hopefully improve it. Just a thought.
Not a bad idea.  They have 23 other apps in the Shop already, and I'm sure they could come up with a better Gallery of their own, and sell it themselves for a couple bucks.
The major potential problem I could anticipate would be people griping about having to pay for it, and saying it should replace the stock Gallery.  Since they're going to do that anyway, I'd say go for it.  :smileyhappy:
- Mark

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Re: NC:Gallery: nomedia

The Calibre-created book covers in My Shelves disappeared from the authors to whose folders I added the .nomedia file.  I hooked NC up to my computer and I can see the EPUB files are still in the My Books folder. I did a soft re-load, but NC says “Failed to obtain item details” when I hold my finger on the selection to add the book to a shelf. I do not get the box with the choices: Read, View Details, Add to home, Add to shelf.  They will open in library/my files if I tap once. 

The covers do not show in library/my shelves. When I try to edit the author shelves I created, the eBooks do not appear in the choice list to  to add to a named shelf.

What a dilema! Do I want the book covers on my shelves at a cost of overwhelming My Gallery or do I block the covers from My Gallery and lose the books both in library/my shelves and library/books.

:womansad:

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000
0 Kudos

Re: NC:Gallery: nomedia

The solution is simple. Fix the Gallery.