Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BCBronco19

NC Too Versatile?

I have never posted on this board, probably won’t post again, but felt compelled to now. I own a NC, have for three months. I bought it after a lot of research and concluded that for my needs it was/is the best e-reader on the market. But……..curiosity got the best of me and I rooted it. Like everyone else here, I will say it is a much more functional/versatile/fun product rooted than not, and I think that is a problem for BN. The cat is out of the bag for BN and I now see the NC as a tablet first and a reader second. I suspect that others do as well. Heck the media is touting the NC as a nice alternative to the IPAD.

I always thought that the Kindle was too limiting, but now I see where Amazon’s strategy of limitation might be work for them, as the only e-books you can buy for Kindle are from Amazon. With NC our range of e-book buying options with a rooted NC are unlimited, heck you can even put the Kindle app on your NC and buy from Amazon if you’d like.  If I were the CEO of BN, I would issue a software patch that would limit our access to the Android market; otherwise, they will have lost the purpose of their e-reader, and maybe lost e-book market share.

Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3
0 Kudos

Re: NC Too Versatile?

I beg to differ. I bought the NC because it could become an Android tablet.

I continue to buy eBooks from B&N as I like their reader front end.

If they were to lock my NC down I would drop it like a rock and go buy a true tablet.

I already own 2 other eReadres and if the NC gets locked down, I would move on and never buy from B&N again.

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad

My feelings are these:

In order to survive, barned and Noble needs to transform itself into a general content delivery company. That means they don't just sell books, but they also sell movies and tablet software applications. It would be a mistake for B&N to try to refashion themselves into a computer hardware company. They will never compete against Apple, Micrososft and emerging powerhouses like Samsung, HTC etc. All they need is a decent device to which they can deliver this content. The Nook Color is an excellent  first step in this direction. Now they've got to start offering content for it... beyond just books.

They need to get their app store up and running and they should do their best to work out licensing deals with Movie studios so that they can sell every DVD (if possible) with an included Nook digital copy.

B&N doesn't have much time to do this, though. Right now they've got a large, captive audience because they're offering a good, capable tablet for half the price of the competition. But his price advantage won't last more than, perhapos, 6 months. They need to quickly expand their market share and user base by offering more and varied content for the tablet. It doesn't matter if the tablet is locked down (in fact, for B&N's profitability it probably has to be) as long as I can buy the content I want through the B&N Book store, Music Store, Movie Store and App Store.

The clock is ticking on this, and I honestly think that B&N's survival probably depends on it.

Frequent Contributor
netscorer
0 Kudos

I think this is a big conundrum for Barnes & Noble. To market Nook Color as an eReader with limited marketplace to compliment reading experience or to open it up as tablet and hope to ride the wave of sales success to push it's bookstore to the masses. IMO, at least for the current generation of NC, they will choose route 1 as the alternative is just too unpredictable. If they can ship large volumes of NC and achieve a healthy ratio of books sold per each device, they may become more bold in their plans for NC2. But ultimately, they would need to either expand or go into history books like Borders before them.

Because no matter how you slice it, specialized eReaders do not have future. They are just too one-dimensional products to preserve their share of the market. With Nook Color B&N proved that e-Ink is not a prerequisite to have the best eReader and this is a blessing and a curse for B&N because they would never be able to compete with technology-centric companies when it will come to releasing the best tablet and as they lose market-share in tablets they would lose it in B&N book store as well.

For now I am enjoying my NC and thank B&N for courage to put it on the market with such rooting-friendly design and at such fantastic price. I am a convert to 7'' screen size as it is still compact and light without being too small. Current generation of 10'' tablets (even including newest iPad 2) are just not comfortable to hold for an extended period of time. As probably everyone else though I am expecting the future to belong to roll-up screens that would rely heavily on the cloud services enabling them to achieve unlimited flexibility with tremendous battery life. Probably in 10 years from now...

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BCBronco19 wrote:

With NC our range of e-book buying options with a rooted NC are unlimited, heck you can even put the Kindle app on your NC and buy from Amazon if you’d like.

I make a point of buying from BN whenever I can. 

If Amazon winds up with no competitors, then we all lose. 

Do any of you do the same?

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

netscorer wrote:
As probably everyone else though I am expecting the future to belong to roll-up screens...

Hard to hold a roll-up screen in just one hand, though...the way I read a paperback, or my NOOKcolor.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
BayLido
0 Kudos

I have had a similar thought.  Even unrooted, I am finding that more and more I am using the browser and extras rather actually reading.  B&N hasn't made a lot off my e-book purchases yet.  I read a few pages, then check my e-mail, work on a crossword, etc. and then I go back to reading.  I got the NC for Christmas, and I have read just 4 books.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

All but a couple of the 100+ books on my NC are from B&N. Its just to easy to use the shop feature. Even when I purchase on the web site from my PC, Just turn on the wifi, At most I may have to hit sync in the library.  Convenience is worth the price difference(have only found a few that had any significant price difference)

As always JMHO  :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
netscorer
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Hard to hold a roll-up screen in just one hand, though...the way I read a paperback, or my NOOKcolor.

Not if it weights under 5 ounces and can be perfectly straight and firm until you want to roll it back down. You would probably hold it by one hand on the metallic shell at the bottom or on the side, using other hand to navigate pages. The shell would also have built-in battery and docking port. The technology already exists, it's just not yet ready for mass adoption and would require several technological cycles before we start seeing first implementations. By the time prices would become competitive with standard LCDs, 10 years is not beyond wildest imagination.

Frequent Contributor
axios
0 Kudos

Even with my NC rooted, I am a dedicated B&N customer.
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

FredOak3 wrote:

I beg to differ. I bought the NC because it could become an Android tablet.

I continue to buy eBooks from B&N as I like their reader front end.

If they were to lock my NC down I would drop it like a rock and go buy a true tablet.

I already own 2 other eReadres and if the NC gets locked down, I would move on and never buy from B&N again.

My sentiments exactly. I did a simple root with autonoor 3.0 which maintains all the B&N stuff which is exactly what I bought it for. The fact that the device can be rooted is just a plus for me. Sure I have the Kindle app on it, but all the books I've paid for are from B&N because they are optimized for the NC. It's not the same reading from the NC as reading from an app. I have both the Kindle app and the Nook app on my Android phone.

The fact that it can be rooted with 2.2, 2.3 and even Honeycomb is great for techies that want to fool around with that stuff. If they come up with something that actually works maybe I'll use it. But for now, with my NC and my Droid 2 Global I'm set for quite a while.

If B&N somehow updates the software so that it can't be rooted, I will not update my NC, I'll load Honeycomb on it and use it as a tablet and probably never buy anything from B&N again.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Serold_Divad commented:

> They need to quickly expand their market share and user base by offering more and varied content for the tablet. It doesn't matter if the tablet is locked down (in fact, for B&N's profitability it probably has to be) as long as I can buy the content I want through the B&N Book store, Music Store, Movie Store and App Store. <

Well said, David.  And I agree with your analysis. 

(Apps bought from the open Android Marketplace generate zero income for B&N, as do Apps purchased for jailbroken iPads.  There's no value-add for either company.) 

B&N needs to get their Store operational ASAP, and make certain it is filled with all the goodies that people want to see.  Then the Market will be much less relevant, and not an issue.  If they fail at that (inadequate offerings, or they take too long), then people taking other "roots" (so to speak) to go beyond those limits will expand dramatically, and the opportunity will be lost.

- Mark

Contributor
megansbn
0 Kudos

I kinda feel the same way. I mean, I just want to read. I'm almost wondering if I should "down-grade" to a standard Nook to keep away from all of these distractions.

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

No, the NC is perfect.   For me.   When I bought it, I took my shoulder bag and my camera bag to the store with me and made sure it fit inside both first.   I already knew what the NC could do, already had a list of apps I was going to put on it, the big question was, would it fit in my bags.  The iPad was just too big, and I didn't even consider any of the cheap tablets from overseas.

The NC simplifies my life.   I have a calendar app that lets me mark appointments, take notes, have a to do list and keep reminders of expenses and what not.    I can check e mail at wifi spots, and it's a lot better than using my phone to respond to them if I have to when I am out.   

For my time spent photographing in the woods, it is a great tool.   I have a bird id app, one for mushrooms, animal tracks, sunrise/sunset, depth of field/hyprfocal distance calculator, first aid and survival guide apps all stored on it.  

I put a gallery app on it that allows me to show a sampling of my work on a wonderful screen, and I have been able to add maps that I turned into photos from my Nationa Geographic Topo program with the ability to zoom in and out for great detail.  And I can read them when it starts getting dark or is dark without having to dig out a flash light and try to balnce the two while reading a compass or GPS.

The battery last all day, and I always have a few books to read when I have down time.

What's not to love about this thing?   It's also pretty sturdy.  

I know a lot of photographers carry ipads or even small laptops or net books, but they are all just too big for me and weigh too much, and it's hard to carry them around for daily use.  Like I said in the beginning, for me, the Nook Color is perfect.  

If they open an app store, of course I will look around and see if there is anything useful for me, but to be honest, I think I am all set.   I do wish there were more field guides in the nook format, but I am sure that will come in time.  

One other feature that I really enjoy is the ability to download an audio book from B&N and run it through the stereo in the truck with a cable from the head phone out jack to the aux input on the stereo.   I can also charge it through an inverter while on the go.   I will get the car chager if they ever have one available in my local B&N.

I really don't get very excited about new products, but I am excited about what my Nook Color can do.   So much so, that if anything ever happened to it, I would have a new one in a matter of a few hours.  

Contributor
BCBronco19
0 Kudos

New Hack: Bluetooth, which means when the hack is refined you can add a keyboard. Much more than expected when I bought it.

http://phandroid.com/2011/03/11/further-evolving-as-the-tablet-no-one-expected-it-to-be-bluetooth-no...

Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

Wild_images wrote:
. . .

The NC simplifies my life.   I have a calendar app that lets me mark appointments, take notes, have a to do list and keep reminders of expenses and what not.    I can check e mail at wifi spots, and it's a lot better than using my phone to respond to them if I have to when I am out.   

. . .
    A calendar app? Is your NC rooted? If not -- what calendar app?
-- bye
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

BCBronco19 wrote:

New Hack: Bluetooth, which means when the hack is refined you can add a keyboard. Much more than expected when I bought it.

http://phandroid.com/2011/03/11/further-evolving-as-the-tablet-no-one-expected-it-to-be-bluetooth-no...

Interesting, I didn't think the nc had bluetooth hardware in it. I know it does not have 3g or gps hardware in it. I guess if you find a way to acess the usb port you could add other external acessories such as a camera or gps antenna. This will be a nice surprise if the bluetooth option is really available
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images
0 Kudos

Yes it is rooted.   I am currently running Orange Diary.    $1.49 on the Android Market, and it runs very well on the NC.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I cant find it right now but I remember a post about replacing the batt. someone put up a pic of the inside of a NC. there was an arrow pointing to where the blue tooth HW would be. alas its not in there... :smileysad:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wild_images wrote:

No, the NC is perfect.   For me.   When I bought it, I took my shoulder bag and my camera bag to the store with me and made sure it fit inside both first.

For my time spent photographing in the woods, it is a great tool.   I have a bird id app, one for mushrooms, animal tracks, sunrise/sunset, depth of field/hyprfocal distance calculator, first aid and survival guide apps all stored on it.  

I put a gallery app on it that allows me to show a sampling of my work on a wonderful screen, and I have been able to add maps that I turned into photos from my Nationa Geographic Topo program with the ability to zoom in and out for great detail.  And I can read them when it starts getting dark or is dark without having to dig out a flash light and try to balnce the two while reading a compass or GPS.

The battery last all day, and I always have a few books to read when I have down time.

What's not to love about this thing?   It's also pretty sturdy.  

I know a lot of photographers carry ipads or even small laptops or net books, but they are all just too big for me and weigh too much, and it's hard to carry them around for daily use.  Like I said in the beginning, for me, the Nook Color is perfect.  

I really don't get very excited about new products, but I am excited about what my Nook Color can do.   So much so, that if anything ever happened to it, I would have a new one in a matter of a few hours.  

Those are my exact points also being a passionate hobbyist photographer.

Now if they had a Nikon Control App for tethered shooting and control the my D90 from the nook I would be all giggly and hopping around a lot!

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/