Contributor
Eagle-20
0 Kudos

NC Update - unlikely soon ???

I like most NC owners, am looking forward to the official mid-April update. I predict and doubt very much this will happen tomorrow for the simple fact that the release date for the Blackberry Playbook has yet to be confirmed. In additon, the desired universal OS is still under debate by the Govt. Apple has hedged their bet by offering their products to various school systems for free so long as they agree to an extended contracts with Apple. This will in fact, provide a market dominace for Apple products exclusively. Any other e-book type device will need to partner. Kindle has already announced a product price drop if buyer agrees to advertised content.  I would imagine a similiar type announcement once all e-books/tablets/slates can agree on proprietary content.  The NC community is watching??

Contributor
Bigbamafan
0 Kudos

Re: NC Update - unlikely soon ???

What does what Apple is doing with schools or the Kindle with Ads have to do with a simple update to the Andriod OS for NC? And something about a Blackberry? The Blackberry is about as far from the NC as East from West? Who cares and why does that have anything to do with the NC Update?

Contributor
Eagle-20
0 Kudos

First thank you reading my post...or should I say my 'speculative' post to why we do not have the update.  As I mentioned, I believe there may be a hold on update as a result of pending ongoing platform decisions/ discussions. You are correct they have nothing to do directly with one another but for fear that one platform will having a greater penetration rate could in fact send the industry in a different direction.

by the way cute commentary about the  status of health care and the biography....

Distinguished Correspondent
dgiznya
0 Kudos

Eagle-20 wrote:

First thank you reading my post...or should I say my 'speculative' post to why we do not have the update.  As I mentioned, I believe there may be a hold on update as a result of pending ongoing platform decisions/ discussions. You are correct they have nothing to do directly with one another but for fear that one platform will having a greater penetration rate could in fact send the industry in a different direction.

by the way cute commentary about the  status of health care and the biography....

B&N has already stated what platform the update will be on.

DG

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Correspondent
NookieV
0 Kudos

I thought Apple has been putting Apple systems into schools for years and years and years. When it first started way back when the same sort of idea was brought up... all the kids are going to know how to use Apples and they are going to dominate the market.

The problem being, buisness don't care what the kids know how to use. They want to buy what is cheap. With the open system, buy parts off a shelf design pc's have it is cheaper to buy pc's... and that is what is in most buisnesses. Graphic design, desktop publishing excepted of course. 

I'd think it is in their best interest to get the update out sooner then later. Get it out now, tweak it as you go. If they can get something out that does 80% of what they want they are way ahead in the game. Release more updates as time goes on to give the other 20% and more.

rv

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Its not all a government plot......:smileysurprised:  In case anyone has nissed it THE ONLY souce that has suggested an April 15 upgrade date is HSN and they never lie, B & N only hint has been this spring..... I believe Spring lasts until mid June (and given the snow we had this morning I'm HOPING for spring by then

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

Eagle-20, I am unaware of Apple offering any of their products to schools for free. Could you post a link to this information?
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

The release date of the BlackBerry Playbook has been confirmed for several weeks as being April 19 which is next Tuesday. You can pre-order from Best Buy.

Contributor
Eagle-20
0 Kudos
Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13
0 Kudos

I don't know about Apple doing anything for free, but Apple computers have been in schools for over 20 years. Anyone remember the Apple IIe/g or the first Macintosh? I do. I used them in school. Oh dear, I believe just dated myself. :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy:
[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Reader 4
totalhavoc
0 Kudos

Eagle-20 wrote:

Please review the following links - each article may or may not reveal funding source:

http://macdailynews.com/2011/02/04/massachusetts_high_school_to_give_apple_ipads_to_every_student_an...

http://www.ipadinschools.com/276/one-year-of-ipad-in-schools/

http://www.wickedlocal.com/melrose/features/x1290225874/Melrose-High-School-swapping-textbooks-for-i...

Where in those articales does it say apple is giving the iPad to the school systems for free. In everyone of thos cases, the school system is BUYING the iPad and providing it to the student. Apple is still charging for them and last I checked at full retail. I work for a Community College and we can not purchase the iPad at anything other than full retail. We do get discounts on MacPros, iMacs, and MacBooks but it is usually less than 10% off retail. Back in the 80s apple dominated education because they provided Macs to us at 50% off retail.

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

Eagle-20, I have reviewed the links you posted - thank you kindly and did not see any evidence of Apple offering products to schools at no cost. Ya got anything else? ;-)
Contributor
blackstrat
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

Well, I just got off the phone with Barnes and Noble (1-800-843-2665), and the woman told me that I would get an email when the update is available. I asked if she knew approximately when this would be, and she said that they "PROMISE" it would be by the "end of April". ... this is a quote. So, we have no more than 15 days, at the most, to wait for this update....IF you believe this B&N representative I just spoke with on the phone. 

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Apple isn't stupid. 

They don't have to give free equipment or large discounts to schools to get them to buy their products.

They are, instead, working on deals with textbook publishers to become the exclusive electronic provider of their texts. 

Schools will still save money buying iPads instead of printed books. Apple gets full price for their hardware (and iPads have the highest margin of any consumer electronics, around 230% on average) and a cut of the book sales. 

What Apple has, and no one else does, is complete control of the environment from end to end. They'll be able to do things like registering a device as educational and automatically prohibitting the installation of certain apps, requiring the installation of others. And they can shut down and locate their devices. 

Nook is Android, which makes it ridiculously easy to hack. Not great for a school.

Blackberry is a non-starter. Playbook requires a BlackBerry in Bluetooth range to be of any use at all.

Amazon is the world's largest seller of used books. Given a choice between them and Apple, Apple probably wins when it comes to publishers.

To respond to the original post, BN may wait until they have Honeycomb ready for Nook before releasng the next Nook Color update, if they think they can get it done in a reasonable amount of time. That's probably the only externality affecting their schedule. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

I've seen videos on YouTube where people are already running Honeycomb on the nook. Do you think the new 2.2 update will be as good or better than running Honeycomb on Nook?

Just wondering if I should just go ahead and put Honeycomb on it, or wait for the update.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

Honeycomb will be a lot better than 2.2. It's actually designed for tablets, instead of cell phones. 

But I've heard there are still issues with it at this point. I'm probably going to wait, but which way you go depends on how adventurous you are :smileyhappy:  

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Sorry Eagle-20 your speculation is hmmmm in the category of, if pigs had wings they could fly.

First the Android 2.2 update is complete, it was shown on HSN.  In fact if you have been reading about NCs for the last 3 months, several people reported that select B&N managers had NCs with the A2.2 update and saw them working, this was over two months ago.

There is only ONE reason for the delay, the APP STORE, it has been the reason for the delay since the beginning, Android 2.2 has been out for months.  B&N only had to do minor tweaks and some labeling to make A2.2 look like NC.

One other change took place that was not in B&N's original game plan, the geek community rooted the NC and found a excellent tablet, posts on this forum and literally every major mobile/tech/gadget website and pro reviews agreed that the NC is a TABLET more than an ereader, when un-crippled by rooting.  Thus B&N is embracing the NC has a tablet and announced the App store would offer certified Apps that are not created by developers specifically for NC.  That strategy change has slowed down the opening of the App store.  Further the new strategy of embracing the NC as a tablet had nothing do with the IPad, Blackberry or any other device, it is simple common sense due the very capable platform NC is running on.

Contributor
Eagle-20
0 Kudos

If i may respond .. thank you MattFl for seeing the big picture. In fact I do work for a school system in MA. As I mentioned before the funding of the actual device is not the issue but the exclusivity is truly valuable. Forgive for MY cnyical speculation - in that there has been must debate over what is the preferred 'medium' to offer content. The Ipad is gaining market share thereby offering their products to schools at a cut rate (non-compete rate ). If I said free, I apologize but truth be told when a school system is locked up for 5-10 years the actual hardware is free while a premium is paid for content (textbooks). Please follow the bouncing ball and see what is at stake. I have presented the NC as a viable alternative due to the 'read to me option for diabled students'  but have been cautioned the true battle is after the dust settles. I was hoping by presenting to the NC community I would receive some useful direction... thank you for your input.

Contributor
everygamer
0 Kudos

Just curious, but, does anyone else remember that Apple did the same thing with PC's back in the 80's early 90's giving them to school ... and everyone back then said the same thing. Kids are going to grow up and then world is going to be Apple computers ... then they went from 15% of the desktop market to 3% and today 95% of the computer market is still PC's running windows.

Giving them away to schools didnt do anything for Apple years ago, and its not going to do much today. It always comes down to cost. Perfect current example, Android is now the #1 selling phone platform in the world ... because it is cheeper than Apple and does the same thing.