Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

NC--Wishlist

I wish it was possible to sync wishlist from PC to NC. It is much easier to shop off my PC--just need to click on title--to view a book and add to wishlist--another click--then to shop from NC--need to type in info a letter at a time. Once on my wishlist buying the book in the future is simple and I don't have to search thru shop to find the book I want.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Re: NC--Wishlist

I want a simple calendar app that would sinc with the Windows Live personal calendar.

Contributor
Scatter_thoughts

I'd love a way to manage my color nook "shelves" by pc, which would be faster than trying to do it on the nook itself, which is ridiculously cumbersome and mind numbing. After updating let the usb connection send changes to the nook itself. Life is too short to peck out shelf changes on the CN itself.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

I really like that idea.  Especially since Shelves maintained on SDcards don't survive a dismount or a cold boot, that would also provide a way to back up and restore them, without having to recreate them again manually.  Frankly that's a time-consuming enough process to make me not bother with it after they're lost the first time.

- Mark

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wouldn't a Titanium backup preserve shelf state? 

I wound up hosing my NC twice yesterday (CM7 is running;  I'm doing something wrong with the custom phiremod CWR disk) and each time was back up pretty fast - the second time, in well under an hour.

- reinstall NC 1.2

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/clean-12-install.html

- re-root

- skip out of box experience

- reboot and install Ham And Cheese APK enabler

- boot, and sideload the Titanium APK

- batch restore with Titanium ("everything you can" mode, with a few apps known to be pointless or squirrely not included)

- reboot

Done.  Able to see library books, able to reinstall Epicurious, the whole magilla. Also, my /media partition survived intact.  I have come to believe that the /media remaining OK is actually by design.  I had the impression, after The Big Wipe, that people had lost their sideloaded content, but now I'm wondering. 

Key here is that I've learned over the course of screwing with my NC that I basically never, ever want to reregister it again, as I've had the joy of restoring a backup from before a device wipe before. 

And this is in AYCM because Sam, please get hold of the folks who invite developers to participate and get Titanium available as an official, supported BN Nook Color App. 

The BN variant should probably be customized to not back up the registration token, since your tech and customer support people are telling customers to erase and deregister a lot. 

But that's about the only change I think it would need.  Your Nook Engineer types could test it to be sure but I think it would get shelf data, given that it got my login to BN and gmail and my wifi settings all correct. 

The Berenstein Bears franchise and Angry Birds are fine.  You're making bank on them. 

But the low volume of system utilities isn't great.  In fact, I'd say, put Titanium into the next firmware release, the same way as the video cookbook is,  so that as soon as an NC is "live" it already has Titanium onboard and able to start restoring. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
deemure

I wish there were cursor navigation arrows for the keyboard. Individual device archiving-books would be archived only for the device you archive them on or maybe you could choose global archive if desired. This, to me is a must and a real issue for anyone that owns a NOOKcolor and a nook. Savable shelf playlist, so that you could just load the playlist and not need to re-construct shelves after re-registering. Bulk archiving, similar to the create a shelf function. Bulk downloading of books-a button to "download all." Downloading 5 books at a time is painful with large libraries. It is presumed at some point all of us will have to re-download our libraries-if we buy a new nook device or have to re-register.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
crabbybob

The following features would really boost my productivity.

1. Cursor forward/backward keys.

2.  The ability to download any file type from the web along with the ability to select a target directory for the download. 

3. Simple text editor.

deemure

Just to point out so it does not go unnoticed, there is a NOOKcolor wishlist started by Nallia in the NC General Discussion area.

But, I also wish that when posting here with the NC you could use Rich Text and not have to select HTML and use HTML markup.  I'm not so knowledgeable about markup and I never get it to work right, so posts look like one big paragraph.  Even though I use markup.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of these suggestions, I am including them in my updated "asks" lists now.  Keep them coming! --Sam

Contributor
gratitudo
0 Kudos

I have searched high and low to find a way to highlight articles in various magazines (such as Forbes, Fortune, etc.) and then copy the article into e-storage for future reference. I know the Kindle can do this. I bought a Color Nook thinking it can do this, but I am finding out that the technology and enginerring of the Color Nook is behind the Kindle. Can someone help to come up with solutions to this problem? Has anyone heard of Moon Reader (Android app)? Can this be used? Will it offer the solutions I am looking for? I have tried to contact Customer Service at Barnes and Noble with no succces. I merely get the run around and no one knows a solution or offers suggestions. This seems very basic, yet overlooked. 

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Gratitudo- Please send me a PM with more details on your request and I will make sure to send it along to our dev teams. Thanks! -Sam

Frequent Contributor
MIM49
0 Kudos

When I started this thread I was not referring to the wishlist as in "What else would you like to see on your NookColor." I was referring to the Wishlist in Shop as in what books would you eventually like to buy. When you "Shop" from your PC the books you place on your wishlist do not show up on your wishlist on NookColor and vice versa. I would like it if the 2 wishlists would sync. If you buy a book from your NookColor it shows up on Your Library on your PC. If you buy a book on your PC it syncs and shows up on your Nook. I would like the 2 wishlists to do this. Sorry if this was not clear.

Contributor
gratitudo
0 Kudos

Re: NC--Wishlist -- Highlighting Magazine Articles / Copying & Pasting Articles into e-Storage

SLevine,

Thank you for replying. It's refreshing that someone out there is wanting to help! I very much appreciate it. I don't know where your email address is, so I'll give you mine so we can connect:  Michael.Duhs@cox.net

Thanks,

Michael

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Re: NC--Wishlist -- Highlighting Magazine Articles / Copying & Pasting Articles into e-Storage

[ Edited ]

gratitudo wrote:

SLevine,

Thank you for replying. It's refreshing that someone out there is wanting to help! I very much appreciate it. I don't know where your email address is, so I'll give you mine so we can connect:

No need for her address.  She requested you contact her via PM, which is a Private Message, here on this Forum.

To do that, simply click on her name, above the avatoar, which will bring up her Profile page.  On the right, you will see a Contact area.  Click on "Send this User a Private Message".  Then enter the information as necessary.

- Mark

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 525
0 Kudos

Gratitudo,

Thank you for all of your input and interest regarding highlighting magazine articles on NOOK Color. At this time we don’t support that function on our device,but of course any opportunity to receive feedback or input regarding increased functionality is welcomed by B&N.

I’m going to forward your suggestion to our dev teams and will let you know when I have more information on this.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other great ideas/improvements and I’ll be sure to forward them along as well.

-Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

I'm with the OP wishing that my NC Wishlist and the Account Wishlist were synced.  I lost about 20+ books that I was wanting to "remember" that were on my NC wishlist when I had to to a hard reset, and now can't remember all of them.  It would be nicer for the end user if I didn't have to worry/think about which wishlist i saved something on....

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Contributor
pubfan
0 Kudos

• Arrow keys on keyboard - major pain not having these.
  • Blue Tooth - Nook Color has a blue tooth chip. Would love it if BN enabled this for file transfer, PAN, keyboard, headphones - woudl work better with cell phones.
  • better searching in shop - impossible to find things. Sometimes have to go to Amazon to find the book title and then search on BN!
  • Calendar synchronization with Windows Live or Google Calendar or Blackberry.
  • DLNA support.