Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Laurie_Gator
0 Kudos

NC use in Europe

[ Edited ]

I am curious if anyone has experience with using a NC in Europe...

Am I able to use wi-fi to surf the net? Would I be able to order books and download the to my NC?

ETA: I am a US resident with a US address

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

Re: NC use in Europe

Laurie_Gator wrote:

I am curious if anyone has experience with using a NC in Europe...

Am I able to use wi-fi to surf the net? Would I be able to order books and download the to my NC?

ETA: I am a US resident with a US address

B&N is a US seller and, as such, cannot sell outside of the US (at this time).  Even though you are a US resident with a US address, you cannot buy books while in Europe.  The B&N server sees the foreign IP address and will block the purchase.  

You can, however, download any books you already have in your B&N library as long as you can get a wifi connection.

Correspondent
Laurie_Gator
0 Kudos

Thank you! That is what I thought, but I wanted to check to be sure :-)

It is good to know I can use the wi-fi over there!

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

It's my understanding that you can't use WiFi outside in France.

Frequent Contributor
WildNole
0 Kudos

Just returned today from a week in Croatia and had no problems using my NC.  I even did the update (sideloaded) while I was there.  Had no problems browsing the web or getting e-mail and could even "purchase" and download free apps and books.  In other words, while it is true you cannot purchase books and have them transferred to the NC, you can get free things.  Or you could have someone in the US purchase a book for you on the account you have associated with your NC and then download them via wifi.

As to France, I was able to use the NC at CDG (the airport in Paris) with no problems.

Contributor
DoggyMum
0 Kudos

I used mine in Norway--I just used it to read and wifi for email etc.  No problems.

Contributor
jaspereira
0 Kudos

Well, I`m in Brazil and I could download some paid apps just after the update, on Monday and Tuesday...

Sad they blocked it after that, `cause I`ve been trying to download others since Thursday, but with no success...

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I am not sure if this would work but it should.  If you are rooted they have vpn apps for Android.  You could buy a router for your home that supports vpn (Cisco RV220W).  When you vpn from the road to your home it assigns you an IP address so that you appear to be at home.  This a lot of work to get this working.

Inspired Contributor
bchau
0 Kudos

I live in Australia. Luckily, I can connect to the company WiFi which has VPN to the US headoffice. I have since then bought a few books from B&N online store. I also need make up a US postal address too.

Still I hope B&N will one day open their online store to other countries like Australia.