Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
JayHD
0 Kudos

NOOK CLOUD

Any know any thing about the "NOOK CLOUD" that is mentioned on the NT promo page??
Contributor
BN_Hemen1
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK CLOUD

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

It's the account backup for BN purchases that has existed since day 1. BN is just riding the "OMG ITS THE CLOUD!!!!111oneone" wave that has gotten everyone into a tizzy lately.

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

Well anywhere your BN/Nook bought products are stored just in case you need to replace the device is a cloud service, amazon is just trying to pretty it up by giving it a name. But they been using it all this time so has BN.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

gabourele wrote:

Well anywhere your BN/Nook bought products are stored just in case you need to replace the device is a cloud service, amazon is just trying to pretty it up by giving it a name. But they been using it all this time so has BN.

Except Amazon's cloud allows you to upload your own stuff to it.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
gabourele
0 Kudos

yeah one problem with their style of cloud. When your out of wifi range good luck trying to access any of your stuff. Big minus for me when it comes to that!!!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Seems to me that it works the same with Amazon's cloud service and their wifi-only devices - including the Fire. Step out of wifi range and you can't access the cloud. That's a facet of the devices, not the storage service itself.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

HumbleCorrespondent wrote:

gabourele wrote:

Yes, you can but after 5GB of stuff they start charging you to do so.  And the only reason they do it is so you will be tied to Amazon.  If you upload your stuff to it and are not in wifi range, you can't access your stuff.  While on the NC I can have all my stuff on cheap microsd cards that I can take with me.  Similarly, if when Netflix is on the NC and NT, if out of wifi range then I won't be able to access them, but I can still have lots of stuff on cards.

I am basically "cloud" saturated.  I need an assistant as it is to tell me just what cloud has my stuff on it.  My new computer offered cloud service, almost every piece of software does as well.  I think clouds like Carbonite for secure backup or Dropbox for some unsecure portability are great, but for other things I'm I guess too old school.  There are many discussions about making sure you back up the stuff B&N saves for you on the nook cloud, because accidents happen and redundancy is good.  I just don't like the idea of the main storage solution to be cloud first, local hard copy second or even considered unnecessary-to me that's what Amazon is basing their model on with Amazon purchased content.

This is why I could never adapt to the Amazon way of thinking.  You may be allowed to keep your content local, but are encouraged to leave it in their hands as the best way to use it.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

It won't be long until everything is on "the cloud" including software and OS. It is becoming the only way to prevent piracey. Even common software such as MS office will be a "subscription" only...............

We won't "own" anything but will "rent" everything actually if you read those "user agreements" thats pretty much the way it is now. We only have the right to use stuff accorfind to the agreement. It is also the way.how tablets will replace pc's

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I am frequently out of WiFi or 3G range so not a big fan of "the cloud" as Amazon is pushing it.  I really hate it when salemen describe technology.  :smileywink:

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
roustabout

I like to see if my vendors have a sense of humor with this one:

Q:  What's the difference between an IT salesman and a car salesman? 

A:  The car salesman knows when he's lying. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Tboner

TNTLamb wrote:

It won't be long until everything is on "the cloud" including software and OS. It is becoming the only way to prevent piracey. Even common software such as MS office will be a "subscription" only...............

We won't "own" anything but will "rent" everything actually if you read those "user agreements" thats pretty much the way it is now. We only have the right to use stuff accorfind to the agreement. It is also the way.how tablets will replace pc's

Close,

You misspelled one word IMHO piracy should be spelled privacy.

Cloud based storage removed privacy from the equation.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I suspect the only real benefit of cloud service for consumers is cost savings from cheap data services. The rest benefits the business. Data is collected. Business don't have to supply expensive CDs, pack and ship costs etc. They get around those pesky first sale and use rights buyets have for physical products. Of course you are supposed to accept on faiith that your data, privacy, and products are safe from hackers and bankruptcy. What about divorce, job loss, illness, natural disasters. Someone could be denied the ability to access or use their purchases. If you loose computer access you are out of luck. I have seen this happen to people placed in nursing homes. I buy lots of ebooks, but I recognize that a book, movie, or music I really want to preserve must be saved in a physical location outside of a computer.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

TNTLamb wrote:

I work on a computer all day long at work.  I don't see how a tablet is going to replace my dual monitors or allow me to work efficiently, at least not in its current state.    

HumbleCorrespondent

deemure wrote:

gabourele wrote:

Yes, you can but after 5GB of stuff they start charging you to do so.  And the only reason they do it is so you will be tied to Amazon.  If you upload your stuff to it and are not in wifi range, you can't access your stuff.  While on the NC I can have all my stuff on cheap microsd cards that I can take with me.  Similarly, if when Netflix is on the NC and NT, if out of wifi range then I won't be able to access them, but I can still have lots of stuff on cards.

I am basically "cloud" saturated.  I need an assistant as it is to tell me just what cloud has my stuff on it.  My new computer offered cloud service, almost every piece of software does as well.  I think clouds like Carbonite for secure backup or Dropbox for some unsecure portability are great, but for other things I'm I guess too old school.  There are many discussions about making sure you back up the stuff B&N saves for you on the nook cloud, because accidents happen and redundancy is good.  I just don't like the idea of the main storage solution to be cloud first, local hard copy second or even considered unnecessary-to me that's what Amazon is basing their model on with Amazon purchased content.

This is why I could never adapt to the Amazon way of thinking.  You may be allowed to keep your content local, but are encouraged to leave it in their hands as the best way to use it.

I was merely pointing out the difference between B&N's cloud and Amazon's, not staing a preference for one or the other.  Actually, I pretty much agree with you.

People who claim that hard drives are going away, or that tablets will replace desktops and laptops are living in a fantasy world.  I will never store my finacial records, private personal data, or thousands of pictures of my wife, kids, and other family in someone else's cloud.  As you point out, there are some good uses for cloud storage and processing, but that level of comfort is different for everyone, and everyone has different needs.

Also, tablets are great things, and you can do a lot with them. But even if one day they are as powerful as laptops, you can only do so much for so long on something of that small size (even if you have a 10 inch screen) before it becomes cumbersome.  If you work with a computer all day, can you imagine doing your job without a decent sized screen and a good full sized keyboard?

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
deemure
0 Kudos

Tboner wrote:

TNTLamb wrote:

Close,

You misspelled one word IMHO piracy should be spelled privacy.

Cloud based storage removed privacy from the equation.

And it actually makes piracy easier-it's just it's more piracy of your content.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
deemure
0 Kudos

I was merely pointing out the difference between B&N's cloud and Amazon's, not staing a preference for one or the other.  Actually, I pretty much agree with you.

People who claim that hard drives are going away, or that tablets will replace desktops and laptops are living in a fantasy world.  I will never store my finacial records, private personal data, or thousands of pictures of my wife, kids, and other family in someone else's cloud.  As you point out, there are some good uses for cloud storage and processing, but that level of comfort is different for everyone, and everyone has different needs.

Also, tablets are great things, and you can do a lot with them. But even if one day they are as powerful as laptops, you can only do so much for so long on something of that small size (even if you have a 10 inch screen) before it becomes cumbersome.  If you work with a computer all day, can you imagine doing your job without a decent sized screen and a good full sized keyboard?

Sorry if I came off harsh or as disputing you.  I really didn't mean to.  There's so much talk going around about this.

One interesting tidbit was that some are saying the storage for your personal mp3s is unlimited along with the 5 free gbs.  This is another thing I have found to be untrue.  Amazon states that for a limited time, with paid storage (not the free 5gbs) you can store an unlimited amount of your mp3s as long as they meet certain criteria.  Not that I'd care to of course, but it's a clarification of what others think is true.

I also agree about tablets in general.  Ten inch or seven inch, they just are not conducive to all the ways I use a computer or laptop.  A stylus or finger and/or a touchscreen keyboard cannot replace a physical one for me-it's basically the ergonomics of the things.  For the most utility you actually must place them physically upright with a keyboard that sits more or less flush with the table it's on.  That's part of it.  It just to me seems that tablets will almost always be multimedia interfaces.  They do almost nothing else all that well, but do enough things decently for limited periods of time to make them worthwhile for many.

They are not optimal for movie viewing, but good enough.  They are not optimal for music, but good enough.  They are not optimal for reading books and mags, even, but good enough.  And so on.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Been in a verizon store latley?  Tabs now dock into larger keyboards with larger monitors.  Most commercial use is task oriented. A tab can be adapted for any of these uses being both a portable and desktop unit. For most 'homeowner tasks too.  The fact is my glaxy tab does everything except some heavy word processing and spread sheets and evn then with dropbox (another "cloud") most of the tweaking is done away from my PC. I have a small business all my inventory and even PS info is accessable through my tab. at home it sevies as a DNR server through a sony media player. I watch movies, play music, stream photos etc. and even can manage much of my accounting material while laying in bed.

I haven't sat at my PC in my office for months. That being said, all the marketing in the world will NEVER make a Nook a real tab until they unlock it to the full android market. nor will their "cloud" be a real cloud. its a backup device at best. And the NC a great reader with the functions of a PDA (and some enhancements)

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
deemure
0 Kudos

TNTLamb wrote:

Been in a verizon store latley?  Tabs now dock into larger keyboards with larger monitors.  Most commercial use is task oriented. A tab can be adapted for any of these uses being both a portable and desktop unit. For most 'homeowner tasks too.  The fact is my glaxy tab does everything except some heavy word processing and spread sheets and evn then with dropbox (another "cloud") most of the tweaking is done away from my PC. I have a small business all my inventory and even PS info is accessable through my tab. at home it sevies as a DNR server through a sony media player. I watch movies, play music, stream photos etc. and even can manage much of my accounting material while laying in bed.

I haven't sat at my PC in my office for months. That being said, all the marketing in the world will NEVER make a Nook a real tab until they unlock it to the full android market. nor will their "cloud" be a real cloud. its a backup device at best. And the NC a great reader with the functions of a PDA (and some enhancements)

I understand that you can do that with a tablet.  I've known all along you can add peripherals to many tabs out there, but then it really takes away some of the convenience of them.  If you have the docking station, you aren't using that when on the road or away from the docking station.  For me, typing on internal keyboards using what is basically the hunt and peck method is in no way as fluid an experience as using a standard keyboard/upright monitor is.

Unless you are removing your metadata from those docs you store in dropbox, you are really opening yourself up.  Dropbox is not secure at all and it is well known that Word docs are wide open and there's a lot of info just in the metadata alone.

I actually do a lot of different types of things on my PC including CAD, video editing and dvd authoring, word processing and so on.  I made the point that for me a tablet cannot replace a computer.  I don't expect it to, but for much more than simplistic documents tablets on the road are just not ergonomic to use.  At home, I'm not going to replace my PC for a much less capable tablet. 

I don't expect a nook of any kind to be a true tablet.  I have played around with several different types of tablets thanks to a relative that brought a bunch home.  They are not useful for what I do and whatever task oriented means is all based upon the task at hand.  I can put my photos on the NC and my videos and can use the native reader for all the things I need it for.  I can browse the web, view tutorials, and do most things that don't require much more than minimal keyboard input.  I can at times create somewhat larger notes and docs, but this pushes hunt and peck to the extreme.  I could get a tab and an external keyboard to do more, but why?  I can take my laptop anywhere I would take a tablet and do more.

TNTLamb

Yes but can you open your garage, start your car, turn on your lights, and fill your bath tub with your lap top?:smileyvery-happy:

And yes we move stuff only and eliminate the metadata.