Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

NOOK COLOR for Christmas was a great gift!

[ Edited ]

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
Contributor
QueenBee3200
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK COLOR for Christmas was a great gift!

Agreed!

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

This is a test the last two post were bad. Was using the Beta9 IE 64-bit Explorer.

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry all! Been trying to add post but had technical difficulty...

---------------------------

I've been using NOOKcolor since Christmas. Here is my few user points of interest.

... FILE MANAGEMENT: Nicely done shelving routines. However, deleting files is still   cumbersome. I don't know why a simple file delete function for each folder hasn't been added, after all the discussions about this on the Boards.

- Put a "TRASHCAN" on the "HOME SCREEN" panels so the user can drag and drop unwanted files into it.

- add a "DELETE" item to all the drop down menus

- add an "ARE YOU SURE?" popup windows to safe guard against accidental deletions.

I have a hard time believing after all these years of exposure to word processing software, that programmers have a hard time with cleaning up a funky file management system.

GIVE ME MORE CONTROL OVER MY FILE CONTENT I WISH TO ADD OR (ESPECIALLY) DELETE MY NOOK'S CONTENT! :smileymad:

I really like that I can read at night without any lights. Keeping my wife up, while I'm enjoying my eBook does not enhance marital bliss. (One BIG plus mark for NOOKcolor...)

Turning pages is a breeze!

I'm not going blind reading content.

Great display though E-ink does have its advantages. Such as "battery life". This really is poor on the color unit. One charge won't get you through reading one eBook. I don't care how marketing tries to spin the runtime for the internal battery, it needs improvement. Maybe offering a decent amp-hour external mobile battery pack that can attach via the mini-USB port would help offset some user qualms. I have the technical skill to make one up, if I had a proper reliable schematic of the NOOKcolors mini-USB ports pinouts. I would imagine it would be a standard pinout but I'd like to be on the safe side. Plus, I don't want to void the warranty.

I don't know why they went with an internal NON-user replaceable battery???

Also, What happened to the 3G access? That was so great on my regular NOOK and a big selling point for me, when I first dived into the NOOK product. I probably wouldn't have purchased the NOOKcolor if I knew this wasn't available, but, this was a great gift.

Just as an eBook reader, the NOOKcolor is outstanding. Opens my eBooks quickly, turns pages swiftly with hair trigger touch and presentation formatting is beautifully done.

Battery life is a constant concern while using the NOOKcolor.

Control over my file content is my biggest gripe. If NOOK would improve it's file management especially the DELETE routine, the sun would shine, the birds would sing, flowers bloom, the squirrels would dance together and it would be a perfect NOOKcolor day!

One last comment... Please... Just make this an eBook reader. Stop wasting your time to make it a Tablet PC. I don't want to save shopping list, email my congressman or improve my SIMCITY score, I just want to carry my library with me and read my eBooks and not  be bothered by anything else, while I'm reading.

hpg
Contributor
hpg
0 Kudos

I agree totally with above comments regarding keeping nc as an ereader. I have been using mine for a month and have pretty much used every capability of the device, and except for its pdf functionality, it is superb. i have over 40 books on the device and I could care less about shelves, whatever. I just scroll to whatever book i want. The bookmarking is perfect. i listen to my stations on pandora or to the music files i sideloaded. I have watched 2 full length movies while on a train or hotel room, and have 3 more ready for viewing. I have a gallery full of pictures of my family. I do the crosswords and soduku frequently. I go to my favorite web sites as required, but not frequently. I have no need to be constantly networked or online or play games or use applications. Except for better pdf handling, what more can one want from an ereader? 

Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

I miss the 3G access too, but I don't think we'll see free 3G on a device unless its a reader only.  The minute you put 3G on a device like the Nook Color you would have to start charging to offset a huge increase in your bandwidth demands.   

On the nook, my only 3G was for shopping and downloading. Now on the Nook Color 90 percent of my network use is for Web surfing, Pandora, Facebook, etc.  There is no way this could be offered for free.  

I suspect at some point we'll see a Nook Color with a 3G carrier but I for one am going to try and stick with the Wifi model.   Look at the Galaxy tab for instance, the data plan for 3G there is $30 a month, forever.  With the Nook, $250 and I'm done.  At $30 / month and all the wireless and communication surcharges and taxes, you could buy a new nook every 8 months with what you're spending there. 

The model I'll probably go to is getting a wifi enabled phone so I have one 3G / 4G data plan I can share across all devices instead of spending $15-$30 for each device every month. For now though, WiFi only is keeps me a little in balance, though my wife keeps telling me its time to put my Nook down.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

What exactly is wrong with adding more functionality to the NC? What is wrong with a great 7" tablet with a great screen at a great price? Why are the games already on the NC fine, but adding Angry Birds is bad? Why do I have to have an Android phone, or an iPhone to carry around my grocery list?

You may think the feature set is perfect, but many folks can see added value simply by adding some software that works fine on the device. I think B&N can remain true to the premise of building an eReader, while giving the purchaser more control and more decisions.

On the hardware side, my question is how much more weight and cost are you willing to add for 3G, better battery life, and a replaceable battery? Building a portable device is always a set of compromises. The NC is already rather heavy for its size. Compare it to the Nook Classic or the Kindle 3. Do you want another 8oz of battery to carry around? Do you want a thicker, heavier device because the battery is in a separate case that is removable?

I'm not saying that those tradeoffs are not reasonable to discuss, but don't imply that B&N did something WRONG by making the decisions they did.

I don't necessarily believe their decision making is always perfect. I have said that I think their decision to integrate the high current charging with the microUSB connector was questionable. However, remember that there are usually trade-offs.

hpg
Contributor
hpg
0 Kudos

nothing wrong with adding functionalty, of whatever type. However, I would much prefer they fix the pdf function before android apps, unless they go the app route for pdf.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

That's sort of the point. If you could add apps now, the pdf issue would be a non-problem. Lots of other pdf readers on Android are MUCH better.