Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder

Re: Introduce yourselves!

[ Edited ]

@Nallia - Its nice to see you take the time to acknowledge all those who replied, very classy! In answer to your question-

I actually a herd of motorcycles:

2000 Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster standard

2001 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200C

2004 Kawasaki KLR 650

1972 Triumph Bonneville 650

1996 Suzuki DR350SE

1979 Honda XL185S

1971? Indian Mini-Mini

1992 Honda XR600R Plated in CA

1987 Honda CR125

And just in case that is not enough, I am picking up a 1985 Honda XR600R again Plated for street use in CA, on the 2nd of May.

I had a Shadow VLX once upon a time, very nice bike.

**In my original post I stated "I can't remember the last non-fiction book I read", that should have read, I cannot remember the last FICTION book I read. I almost never read fiction, my reading almost exclusively mirrors the things in my life I enjoy. My latest purchases were, "Photographing Yosemite", "The Will to Live, by Les Stroud", and "David Busch's - Canon Powershot G12" becasue I just bought a G12 as an easy carry along instead of my bulky DSLR Nikon.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Contributor
ALQNAsMommy

Ha! What a fun thread! : ) I'm Jenny, a SAHM of five from CO via ND and Tx! My Nook is my escape! ; ) DH surprised me with it for Xmas. It has come in especially handy when nursing the baby, in between running errands and while waiting to pick up our kiddos. I don't have much free time on my hands, but when I'm not wiping somebody's nose or tushie and have a chance to sit down for five minutes I almost always have my NC in hand. Hey, as a side note, I'm pretty sure that one version or another of "Jennifer" currently is in the lead for most popular "real" name ! Ha! I'm guessing we are all pushing 40 ? ! My parents were supposedly big fans of the book/movie Love Story! ; )
Inspired Contributor
lazisusann

Thanks Nallia for starting this thread. It is fun to read all the introductions and learn where people live and what they do. Reminds me of the first day of school. 

I'm Suzi, :smileytongue: a retired middle school (often referred to as the "combat zone") teacher. I ended my 30 year career in Mont Belvieu, near Houston, Texas. I lived in Huffman, Spring, Sabinal, San Antonio, Pettus, Elkhart, Weslaco, and Cotulla, Texas....I think that's all! Anyone out there from any of these places?

Upon retiring and raising two children, we moved to our "retirement retreat" in beautiful Heber Springs, Arkansas. Instead of dodging cars and hearing sirens, we watch grazing deer and listen to singing birds. Great background music for reading my NookColor or working on a quilt - my two new loves.

My NC has broadened my world. Soon after retiring, I developed a neurological disorder which affects my balance and my eyes. When reading print, I have a very hard time following words on a line. The NC has made reading as much as I want, possible again. Since I can make the margins wider and lines shorter, reading is a breeze. I LOVE IT, and it goes everywhere with me! Besides reading books, I can side-load quilting instructions and other documents which were hard for me to read.

I have  been reading up on the rooting - so tempting. I did, however, download Honeycomb to the SDcard - pretty darn slick! Makes me want the update now, more than ever!

Enough about me - I want to read more about the other fine people who lurk here. This is a great forum -   nice, helpful souls. Thanks for another great place to read!  Ereaders are making reading popular again.

"The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." ~Lucille Ball~
Scribe
03FLHT2

Hello:  Anthony here     I have lived in Several States all over the South and some Northern States.  I have lived on Long Island the longest.  

I have been riding Harleys for almost 45 years,  use to have a couple but could only ride one at a time so now I only have the Ultra.  So my user name tells you my bike. 

Amateur Photographer with a D200 Nikon that I have made a a way to carry my camera stuff when I am riding across country.  Have ridden to Ca. a few times starting from Long Island.  My wife usually files to where we are going and I ride there.   One thing I don't look like your usual Harley guy.  No tats or a beard or long hair any more and no I don't do club.    

Quick note I have an older son and when he was 11 he and I did a 22 State 9000 mile ride for a vac.  just the two of us.    By the way I now have a 6 year Son so I hope to be able to do the same with him.

Contributor
GoldenChild

Re: NOOKcolor Bar/Grill/Cafe - Introduce Yourselves!

Guess I'll come out of my lurking postion and (finally) join in the convo:smileywink: Hi all my name is Kia! I am a SAHM of 4(2 boys-11 and 8 and 2 girls-3 and 2) needless to say reading time is hard to come by :smileyvery-happy: Luckily my children share my love for reading (which usually includes a fight with my 3 yr old over MY NC. I received my NC, my first ereader, on December 24 as an early birthday present to myself. Have been in love with it and this board ever since. Thanks to all of you for all the helpful information you all have shared, questions you have answered, and the many laughs (phoneboy). Guess since this thread brought me out of my lurking corner I may be more inclined to participate in some discussions. Oh also I am in SW Suburbs of IL and have also lived in So Cal...enjoy reading and anything to do with electronics,which I'm finding my three old also loves, had to cancel three book orders and put a keypad lock on my NC from her ordering books...although I went back and re-ordered two of them guess she has pretty good tastes in books lol.:smileyvery-happy: Oh well enough about me back to reading your posts great "meeting" everyone!

Nook Color Wallpapers
Correspondent
ShellyStark
0 Kudos

ImmortalBeloved wrote:

I also enjoy crafting and scrapbooking. I have a crafting blog and have a whopping 23 followers. I don't update it very often. It's more for myself to keep a diary of my crafts. I'm either reading, crafting or cleaning in my spare time as well as spending time with my 13 year old daughter who thankfully shares my love of reading. I also take care of my niece and nephew 4 days a week while my sister works. They are 2 and 3 and love to look at picture books on my NC. My husband doesn't read, oh well more book money for me. 

I love gadgets. I have an HTC Evo phone and I love it. I'm an Android fan but love my Macbook Pro. NC was the perfect marriage of tech and reading for me. So getting one was a no brainer.

I got my screen name from Beethoven's famous love letter's.

I have enjoyed "meeting" everyone and reading your intro's!

@ShellyStark Love your handiwork!

OOoooo I love scrapbooking! Maybe even too much. My poor boyfriend was subject to my obsessions when a foam letter got stuck in his ear and he had to go to the doctor to get it out. lol 

I'm an android girl as well. Thought long and hard about saving up to go the Ipad route, but I do love the android systems so much, and when my brother comes over I always swype his Ipod touch so I guess I'll get my apple fix that way.

Glad you like my new buddy, it was worth every little time consuming stitch!

"He needs you, and that's very me.
-Ten"
Frequent Contributor
Cassadillajones

Hello. My name is CassadillaJones and I've been lurking for about a month and a half now. I began lurking when I became serious about becoming a nook color owner. After about a week and a half of lurking, I couldn't control my impulse any longer and drove to the nearest B-Nobes (about 45 minutes away... but it took me about an hour because my GPS made me lost) and bought it. I've been lurking every since.

I didn't want to become "involved" on the boards because that would take from my preciously limited reading time. But self-control has never been my strong suit... so here I am. A somewhat new nookcolor owner. Thanks for calling out the lurkers!

Correspondent
karen-atl

Deadpoe wrote:

Hi my name is Marjorie or Marj, if you prefer(long as you don't spell it as Marge.)  I am a 50-year-old spinster living in Queens, NY.

I have been here mostly lurking and sometimes posting since around December of 2009 when my brother(prompted by my niece) decided to get me a Nook for Christmas.  I received it at the end of Jan 2010 and have loved the Nook since.  I was going to get my brother to buy me the Nook Color for Christmas again but the day before Thanksgiving I was in B&N buying my nephew some hideously expensive headphones as a Christmas present when I impulsively decided to buy the NC myself.

Now while it was an impulse buy, it wasn't ill-thought out. I had already done my research and read the manual online twice, as well as reading all the posts hereSo I knew exactly what I was getting.  I gave my old Nook to my other niece.

I love my NC as I loved my Classic Nook. I have beeen extremely lucky in that I have never had any problems with either Nook.  I have not ever, not even once, felt the need to call Customer Service. I know that is somewhat unusual so I am veryy happy.

I have been rather impatiantly waiting for the new update. I practically was counting the days till March 31st.  I figured I'd give B&N first shot rather than rooting.  But when the whole HSN thing happened and it looked more like mid April, I started thinking about rooting.  I was even planning  to go out today(my day off) to buy a 4gig microSD card.

But after reading that thead asking about the Apps people have on their rooted NCs, I realized that I'm just not that into Apps.  I have very few on my Android phone.  I have a total of 6 or 7 games on there, a PDF reader(for some knitting patterns), and an ereader app(from before I got my original Nook).  The games I play but the other two Apps I no longer use.  And recently I put WeatherBug and a Lotto results app on my phone.  That is pretty much it.

So I am back to waiting for the update.  I hope it will include a better PDF reader and some games.  Other than that I am good.

I mostly bought the NC, as opposed to just keeping the Nook 3G, because I wanted to put a bunch of knitting and crochet patterns on there and have  the pictures be in color rather than black and white.  And I also like that the browser is way better to use than on the Classic Nook.           

Hi Marj -

I'm a beginner crocheter - just wondering where you find crochet patterns for your NC.  Would love to have patterns on the NC in color!  I assume they would need to be sideloaded?  Thanks for your help!

Correspondent
sewread

After reading/meeting all I find myself thinking that buying a nook color is a "LIFE CHANGING EVENT" and this thread is a lot of testimonies to that. And all these responses in how many hours. Just an obsservation.
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Lion Brand yarn has some good patterns for beginners on their site. What I do is find the pattern on the site using my nc, save it as a favorite and am good to go. Check out the ami animals, so cute.
Correspondent
karen-atl
0 Kudos

schatzieWI wrote:
Lion Brand yarn has some good patterns for beginners on their site. What I do is find the pattern on the site using my nc, save it as a favorite and am good to go. Check out the ami animals, so cute.

thank you - love the Lionbrand site, been using it for all my projects so far.  Been sticking with throws and scarves mostly though.  I already have some projects saved as favorites on that site, will transfer to my NC asap!  Thanks again!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

@Pokey1: Nice to see you!  How mean of your husband to keep your NC from your until Christmas!  I would have gone out of my mind.  :smileywink:  But my husband and I are horrible and can never make it all the way to Christmas without giving each other our gifts.  LOL  I do hope you post more than once!  :smileyhappy:

@BrianMcE: Well, hi there, lurker!  Good to meet you.  I don't know if there's anyone who does NOOKcolor repairs right now.  Maybe someone on xda-developers.  I know someone there did a tear down of one.

@dvt88: Aww, thanks!  You're pretty awesome yourself.  :smileyhappy:

@karen-atl: I knew you were all out there!  I'm sure this is just a fraction of the lurkers--only the ones brave enough to come out of the shadows.  :smileywink:  I just hope you all stay around and post now.  :smileyhappy:

@Tsquare58:  Welcome!  I'm so glad that you posted!  No need to be nervous; we're harmless.  Really!  :smileyhappy:  I'm happy we;ve been such a big help to you in learning how to use your NC.  Hope we see more of you.

@Panzertime: So glad you like it!  It still needs some decorating, a few more finishing touches, and a proper name!  We'll all have to work on that, I think.   know what you mean about not reading at home during the day.  My son jumps on me as soon as he sees my NC because he wants the Read to Me books.  LOL

@Katluver:  What a sweet thing to say, thank you!  I'm glad you already feel like you know us.  I hope you post more often so we can get to know you too.  I love making new friends.  :smileyhappy:

@latinojim: Great to see you back!  I'm so happy B&N fixed the issues with PR.  I was outraged on your behalf back in January that you got such poor treatment from the store by you.  :smileymad:  Now that your NC is working properly, hopefully we'll see you around more.  As I said before, I could always use another Fantasy and science Fiction fan to discuss books with.  :smileyhappy:

@JenniB90: (I'm not sure if anyone has already answered you since I started from where I left off)  A lot of the time, the update either doesn't take at all on a rooted Android device or it unroots it automatically.  Which happens to you depends on what you've done to it and the factory installed files on it.  I really doubt it'll take more than a few days for someone to root it after the Froyo update.  The bootloader isn't locked and the NC is a pretty easy device to root, in comparison to some others (Motorola Android phones, for example).

@Grinchy1: Nice to "officially" meet you. :smileywink:  I was a Legal Assistant in another life.  I promise I won't tell anyone about your Internet usage!  You need to do what you need to do to keep your sanity.  :smileywink:

@ImmortalBeloved: That is so cool about the Dean Koontz interview!  I haven't done any scrapbooking in what feels like forever because my children always run off with my supplies whenever I take them out.  LOL  So I turned to digital scrapping for a while.  That was fun, but I just don't have the time for it.  Boo!  :smileysad:  I do knit, though.  I can make pretty much anything, but I make baby blankets because I find them more fun.  I like playing with the patterns and colors on a larger piece.  :smileyhappy:

@Sardonic:  Didn't expect you to actually post.  Cool!  I've always loved the way you pop in, make a comment in keeping with your screen name, and then disappear for a bit again.  :smileywink:  You always make me laugh and I often agree with your take on things.  Wow, a laurel too!  Amazing!  :smileysurprised:

@dab223: Welcome!  I used to not post much because everyone else always seemed to answer the questions I could answer before I could and they gave such great answers that I just had nothing else to add.  It's still often that way for me on the NOOK boards.  There are so many knowledgeable people over there.  As you can see, these boards are turning into more than a simple place to have your questions answered.  Help and support are still the main functions of these boards, but I like that people are spending a bit more time having fun and getting to know each other too.  It keeps things from getting to dry or too serious around here.  :smileywink:  So just jump on in!

@alliecatTX: You know, I was just a bit surprised at your post count and your registration date.  I feel like I"ve known you longer than that, so it was hard to believe you've only been here for a few months.  :smileyhappy:  I thought things were getting a little tense around here and wanted to give everyone a break from the excitement and anxiety.  :smileywink:

@threadtales:  Welcome!  Congrats to your daughter on her grad school acceptance.  That's so great.  I love being outdoors as well.  We like to hike, bike ride, ski, and go off-roading.  And I love cooking and baking.  I was taught my my father, who was a chef.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
sneezyinga
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax

Greetings to all, My name is Jim from WNY. My librarian wife gave me a Nook WiFi last Christmas but the minute I went the B&N and saw the NC, I traded in. I immediately sideloaded most of my favorites from the Baen library (which can be found online) and have since collected over 200 books. It doesn't take long to amass a big collection. I would be interested in different stategies for organizing ebook collections once they get so large. Professionally, I am a Systems Engineer in the aerospace business and travel extensively. The NC is a must-have for travel. I have over 100 MP4s converted from my DVD collection, thanks to the excellent DVDCatalyst program. I am looking forward to upgrading from the current 8g SD to a 32g when/if the price comes down. I also use Overdrive every week and would love to see an Overdrive app in the app store. Adobe DE is not the easiest program to get along with. BTW, I think this thread needs to be archived, Regards
It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Nallia

@LGman: Welcome!  Christmas lights?  How long does it take you to put them up every year?  Do you start planning for the next year as soon as you get them up?  I love Christmas lights with the passion of a child.  I've always wanted to be able to go all out on my house.  But I wuoldn't even know where to start!  :smileyhappy:

@melouria: I'm going to do my very best to keep this up near the top for as long as possible.  I wanted a place where new members would feel welcome here.  I felt like there were a lot of threads that could have been intimidating new posters or making them fee like they weren't wanted here, when that really isn't the case.  Some of us are just so comfortable here that it can be easy to forget sometimes that the majority of the people reading our posts are lurkers--we aren't in a nice, private corner of the Internet, though it can feel that way at times.  :smileyhappy:

@A_Man_Da_Robb: Ha!  I never would have realized that you're screen name is actually "Amanda Robb."  LMAO!  Sometimes I don't read so good.  :smileywink:  But I have ADHD too.  Great to have you here!

@Imadanefan: LOL  I don't think they look like jobs, but I guess that's what happens when we get older.  :smileywink:  One of these days, when my children are a bit bigger, I will take classes and learn to ride a motorcycle.  I've always wanted to.

@ChipPM: Hey there!  Thanks for posting.  :smileyhappy:  Lots of us New Yorkers floating around here.  lol  I was always the reader in my family as well.  Spending the day doing nothing but reading my books is as close to bliss as I can get.  :smileyhappy:

@twilite20002002: I have dragged my books from one end of the country to the other a few times.  lol  I refuse to part with them.  I know my husband thinks I'm crazy, but he humors me anyway.  I dont' have a formal living room.  I have a library instead.  :smileywink:  I wish I could say that my NOOKs have saved me money or space, but they haven't.  I still buy as many paper books as I used to.  Now I buy ebooks as well!  I think I have a problem.  :smileywink:

@BFCoughlin:  Thanks for participating in this thread.  You haven't been here long, but you took no time at al to make yourself at home here.  Like a few others, I have a hard time believeing that you've been here for such a short time.  Your contributions are always helpful and welcome.

@BayLido: Welcome!  It's goot to meet you too.  :smileyhappy:  I miss Chesapeake Bay.  I haven't been there in years.  I love living in Colorado, but being landlocked is still difficult for me, even after almost 10 years.  I don't think I'll ever be completely accustomed to the lack of "real" water here.  :smileywink:

@tenagail:  Hi!  I've seen you around a bit since you joined.  Thanks for posting here!  I hope to see you around more often now.

@laurieb52: Isn't it crazy how addicting this place is?  I left for a few months because life became crazy but couldn't stay away forever.  And I became more active after I came back.  LOL  Now I feel a bit weird if I don't check in for a few days.  :smileywink:

@DaddyOBob: Welcome!  We spend a good deal of time in FL, though not in the Tampa area (mainly Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale).  Most of my hsuband's family has migrated there over the years for various reasons.  It gives us a perpetual excuse to get out of the cold!  :smileywink:

@Deadpoe: Hi!  You've been here for a good while.  Hopefully you'll have a bit of time to post more often.  :smileywink:  I have close to 200 apps on my phone and don't use most of them.  lol  That's why I never bothered to root my NC too.  I've become a lot pickier about what I will put on my devices, so I just didn't see the point.  I'm quite happy letting B&N QC the apps for it before I pick them.  At least then I'll know that the ones I do choose to add to my NC will work with it.

Contributor
Alizer

Re: Nicolle Bar/Grill/Cafe - Introduce Yourselves!

Hello Everyone,

I'm Alizer from Orlando, Florida. My NOOKcolor was a Christmas present but I've only been lurking for a short time. I've been an APPLE user for what seems like forever and own quite a few of their products, (not the ipad though) but I love the NC, and use it so much I'm afraid I'll wear out the battery sooner than the average lifespan.

Even though, I don't think I'm using it to all it's capabilities even without rooting, and will probably take a BN NOOKcolor class after the upgrade.

I work at home and would be homeless if I rooted the NOOK as no work whatsoever would get done I am sure!

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Seeing and meeting all these people made me wonder: I haven't noticed any posts from CasperAZ in a while. He always had "interesting" posts. Where are Ya?
Nallia

@ALQNAsMommy: Welcome!  Yay, another CO resident!  Are you in the Denver metro area?  I'm definitely pushing 40--I'm 38.  Hope to see you around when you have a hand free.  :smileywink:

@lazisusann: Welcome!  Every time I read a story about how the NOOK or NOOKcolor has made it possible for a person to read again I feel all warm and happy inside.  Reading is one of the few things I don't think I could ever stand to give up.  I don't know how I would cope if I couldn't read my books, so I can't imagine how hard it must be for those who can no longer do it.  Everyone who wants to read should be able to!

@03FLHT2: Thanks for joining in!  My husband goes on a road trip every year with a friend of his.  They take their motorcycles to a state or three that they've never been to before.  His goal is to ride his motorcycle in every state in the Continental US.  He said he'll figure out Alaska and Hawaii after he gets to the first 48.  :smileyhappy:

@GoldenChild: Welcome!  I don't know IL very well, but my sister lives in Joliet.  I'll be out there next week for her wedding.  :smileyhappy:  You do know, don't you, that you won't be able to hide in the corner again now?  This place will pull at you until you post again and before you know it, you'll be a regular like the rest of us!  :smileywink:

@CassadillaJones: Good to have you here!  You'll find that there are a lot of us who spend way more time on here than we ever planned to.  Heh.  And never, ever, try to use this board as a way to talk yourself out of buying something.  We're all a bunch of enablers.  :smileywink:

@sneezingya: Welcome!  If you're trying to post from your NC, let the page load completely and then tap HTML.  It's next to Rich Text at the top of the reply window.  :smileyhappy:

@k2nax: Welcome!  Thank you for joining us.  I agree that an Overdrive app would be a great thing for B&N to provide through the app market.  Or rather, an ADE app.  It would be great to be able to just log on to my libraries' web sites and download the books right from my NC.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Re: Nicolle Bar/Grill/Cafe - Introduce Yourselves!

Alizer wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I'm Alizer from Orlando, Florida. My NOOKcolor was a Christmas present but I've only been lurking for a short time. I've been an APPLE user for what seems like forever and own quite a few of their products, (not the ipad though) but I love the NC, and use it so much I'm afraid I'll wear out the battery sooner than the average lifespan.

Even though, I don't think I'm using it to all it's capabilities even without rooting, and will probably take a BN NOOKcolor class after the upgrade.

I work at home and would be homeless if I rooted the NOOK as no work whatsoever would get done I am sure!

Welcome!  You aren't the only one who can't put the NC down.  You're in really good company here.  :smileywink:  I think most of us don't do narly as much as we should because we're too busy playing with them.  Now you're going to have a new addiction--these boards!

Nallia
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
Seeing and meeting all these people made me wonder: I haven't noticed any posts from CasperAZ in a while. He always had "interesting" posts. Where are Ya?

I saw him post on another thread this morning.  I'ev been wondering where he's been too.  :smileyhappy: