Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Re: Introduce yourselves!

Hi, normysmom is Conni from Southern California!  I am a mother of 5 year old daughter and a technology teacher at the high school level - I get to teach the fun classes like Yearbook, Web Design and technology for freshmen. Normy is one of our cats; he's the one that curls up on my lap and rubs his chin on my NookColor while I am reading.

I bought a NookColor after reading on my android phone over the 2 week Xmas break.  I went into B&N to try it out and found that it could be used for web surfing...I was sold.  Now, I need to return my smartphone ;0) 

I liked my NC so much that I decided to buy one for my little girl (instead of an iPad, iPod touch or netbook).  She loves reading her kids books and watching movies on it when we travel.  When the update comes in and we have access to Flash websites, she will be able to play the education games on her favorite learning sites (we are getting ready for kindergarten in the fall).

This is a good place to hang out and I very much enjoy the discussions, the rants 'n' raves and the humorous banter!  Sit down right here and have a margarita with me!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Frequent Contributor
bluefuel318
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor Bar/Grill/Cafe - Introduce Yourselves!

Nallia wrote:

@bluefuel318:  Oh, noes!  She has an iPhone!  She likes Apple!  Flee!  Flee!!!  (sorry, couldn't help myself  :smileywink: )  Welcome to the crazy house!

@Jenniisme: I already know you, but I can't seem to leave anyone out, so...Hi!  :smileywink:  Did you root yet?  Being the sweet Brooklyn Girl that I am, I won't say a word about you being from State Island. heh  *hides in the corner and giggles maniacally*

@Indigo40:  Isn't Patrick Rothfuss amazing?  I can't get enough of those books.  I was sooo sad to reach the end of them!  You get points for that and extra points for using "SQUEE!"  :smileywink:

@donc13: I don't think I've ever realized you're here, in all the time I've known you.  How funny!  I met my husband here, but he actually grew up in Cherry Hill, NJ.  I swear it seems like those of us from the Northeast always find each other out here.  LOL

@NookonErik: I used to do a lot of photography, but that was back before DSLRs (you know, in the days of darkrooms and chemical developers).  Now I'm trying to get back into it and have a Nikon D90.  This thing does so much more than my old Nikon 35mm did!  I need to find a class or something to figure it all out.  :smileywink:

Whew!  I made it through the whole thing (for now)!  I have to go clean up and start dinner, but I'll be back.

(that might be a threat)  :smileywink:

Hahaha! Don't worry, I'm not a crazy fangirl or anything. lol It's actually been fun playing with the Android OS. It's nice to have experience with both. And thanks for the welcome. You guys all seem really great. :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
jrussell1

Hi, it's been really interesting to read about people.  I'll give it a shot.  My name is Ryan.  My wife and I live on what was once a farm in western PA.  Nothing makes me happier than peace and quiet and sitting outside reading by my pond.  Except the grand kids and watching them play in the pond. I always liked gadgets and this NC is a natural extension of my geekdom.  My geekieness rubbed off to my son who has a great job at Warner Brothers doing special effects.  Teach your kids how to get into the guts of these devices, it may pay off.  At this point in my age I live vicariously through kids and grandkids.  I escape through fantasy and science fiction.  I've been reading the boards here as much as I read books.  Good bunch of people.

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat

Hi, I'm Cat. I live in NC with three cats and a cornsnake, and I'm a software developer for a medical lab.

I've been reading on ebooks of one sort or another since I discovered fanfiction and the Rocket book back in '98 -- fanfiction has saved me a ton of money in the last decade! It got to where I wouldn't read pro fiction because DTBs are so inconvenient. (There's only one book! It won't tell me what time it is! It's not backlit! And why do the spines have to be so persnickity?)

I've had my eye on the new ereaders for a while because there's some pro fic I really missed. I bought a nook wifi last spring, but returned it after a couple of days (the pages turned too slow :smileyvery-happy:.) I didn't notice the NC until about a month ago, and I bought one the next day. Now the ipad stays at home for evening and weekend internet browsing, and the NC goes everywhere with me.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

. . . Okay so . . . I was just telling someone today how humble and modest I am. In addition to that I tend to be a very quiet person who hardly likes to stand out . . .

Oh! Gotta Go!

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Contributor
Little_wizard

Hi, I'm Mike. I've worked for B&N for 10 years now. Currently the nook lead in Marietta, GA. I've lurked these boards for about a year and I always tell my customers to check here because of all the knowledgable and friendly people.  I'm currently in school for Illustration.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Little_wizard wrote:

Hi, I'm Mike. I've worked for B&N for 10 years now. Currently the nook lead in Marietta, GA. I've lurked these boards for about a year and I always tell my customers to check here because of all the knowledgable and friendly people.  I'm currently in school for Illustration.

BACK!  BACK!

HE DOESN'T KNOW

or do ya??  :smileymad:

:smileyvery-happy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
revkev313

Hello Kevin here, or as some call me, Rev Kev.  I received my NC as a special gift from a Facebook friend that knew I'd been wanting an E-reader for quite some time.

I've lived all over the US and also lived 8 years in Chiapas, Mexico.  Now I'm home for a little while in Michigan after being laid off in New Orleans.

If you caught it by now, I'm a Metaphysical minister and because of the profession find myself with hunfreds of books, with many more to come. 

The Nook color is handy for me and beyond valuable as I don't have to carry all those dang books anymore.  Some of my books are not in digital form yet, so I still have to carry a few now and then,

Reading will unlock mysteries of the Universe
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

Little_wizard wrote:

BACK!  BACK!

HE DOESN'T KNOW

or do ya??  :smileymad:

:smileyvery-happy:

ROFLMFAO!

Inspired Contributor
Deadpoe
0 Kudos

karen-atl wrote:

Hi Marj -

I'm a beginner crocheter - just wondering where you find crochet patterns for your NC.  Would love to have patterns on the NC in color!  I assume they would need to be sideloaded?  Thanks for your help!

Hi Karen,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I sleep during the daytime.

Anyway as for patterns, there are probably other places to find them but the very best place I know is a fantastic websiite for knitters and crocheters.  It is called Ravelry.com.  Some call it Facebook for knitters and crocheters but it is so much more.  There are over a milllion members already.  You have to join but all you need is an email address and figuring out an ID.  There you will find a fantastic database of patterns, a message board and a way for you to keep track off your projects, hooks and yarn.

As for putting patterns on your Nook, most would have to be sideloaded but if you are on a website(such as Ravelry) onn your NC and the pattern is in PDF form and there  is a download button for the pattern then you can directly download it to your NC.

Anyway, if you decide to try Ravelry my ID over there is Marj. 

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@jrussell1...

Where in western Pa? I'm originally from the Jamestown/Meadville area, and my  mother and one sister still lives there.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Correspondent
LGman
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

@LGman: Welcome!  Christmas lights?  How long does it take you to put them up every year?  Do you start planning for the next year as soon as you get them up?  I love Christmas lights with the passion of a child.  I've always wanted to be able to go all out on my house.  But I wuoldn't even know where to start!  :smileyhappy:

Ahhh, Christmas lights.  Due to the physical stress and lack of time, I haven't put up a full display for a couple of years.  It used to take about 80 hours to setup 28K lights, about 2 miles of extenstion cords, music timed lights on the house and a complex computer control setup.  I designed and built the hardware myself (160 individual outlets, solid state relays) and wrote the drivers and control software.  I'd start setting up right after Halloween and finish just in time for Thanksgiving.

We'd get about 1000 visitors during the holiday season, I'd stand out front and hand out candy canes to all the kids.  I have a big red 'Easy Button' tied to the system such that when it's pressed, music would play and the house lights would flash in time.  I'm strongly thinking about setting up the display again this year, but don't know if this body of mine can take it again.

I'd pretty much do the same setup each year, and only make minor changes, so planning wasn't too hard.

Thanks for asking

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have been trying to figure out how to make the Alaskan Highway Trip for a couple years now.  

Has your Husband done the Tail of the Dragon yet.  Now that is hard to do on a Bagger trying to

keep up with Rockets.  Lots of Sparks

niteryder:  How about you, Have you ridden the Tail of the Dragon yet.   If you don't know what I mean.  Do a Google on it.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

I have been trying to figure out how to make the Alaskan Highway Trip for a couple years now.  

Has your Husband done the Tail of the Dragon yet.  Now that is hard to do on a Bagger trying to

niteryder:  How about you, Have you ridden the Tail of the Dragon yet.   If you don't know what I mean.  Do a Google on it.

Have you done it, successfully?  Or are you on the Tree Of Shame?  :smileywink:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Rode it both ways, like I said lots of Sparks but then again I am not riding the speeds most of the CrouchRockets do.   Just Kidding there Other Riders on the slang.   It really is hard to do some of the switchbacks on a Bagger with almost a 1000 pounds including all the luggage and rider and bike.  Just throwing the Handlebars left and right.  Lots of Fun.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

Rode it both ways, like I said lots of Sparks but then again I am not riding the speeds most of the CrouchRockets do.   Just Kidding there Other Riders on the slang.   It really is hard to do some of the switchbacks on a Bagger with almost a 1000 pounds including all the luggage and rider and bike.  Just throwing the Handlebars left and right.  Lots of Fun.

Have you ever done the Dragon in TN?

Wild.........

Nook Color Wallpapers
Contributor
ALQNAsMommy
0 Kudos

Hi, Nallia, Yes, I'm in the Denver metro. You are probably one of my neighbors! Ha! ; )

H

Inspired Correspondent
jrussell1
0 Kudos

@laurieb52

Outside of Greensburg. But my grandfather was a maintenence man for Conneaut Lake Park in it's good days.  I lived with them in the summer as much as I could because I rode for free.  Used to have to go to Meadville to do the ' Big Shoppin'

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

FLH- I know exactly what you are talking about, and I have been wanting to ride it for some time. I have seen loads of pics and it looks like a blast. The closest I ever got was a couple of years ago when a group of guys rode back there from CA, but a back surgery sidelined me for a while and I had to miss the ride.

Luckily for me, we have LOTS of twisties here in CA, none like the Dragon, but fun none the less. My favorite ride here in Cali is the beautiful HWY 1 on the Central Coast. I usually start in Cambria, and end up in Carmel or Monterey, always a great ride, and without question one of the most beautiful anywhere.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Frequent Contributor
MrsFair
0 Kudos