Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Atin
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor Bar/Grill/Cafe - Introduce Yourselves!

Hi, I have been lurking since Feb.  My name is Nita, short for Juanita.  I just figured out about 2 weeks ago that I needed to be on puter to post. I can't post from the nookcolor. I have never owned any ereaders before so am very lost on most things. I can buy a book and read it. I don't understand Lend me, can travel through some web pages, or at least part of them. What else do I need to learn?

When you don't read, help the children of the world smile, one child at a time. Help. santasearch.net
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Atin wrote:

Hi, I have been lurking since Feb.  My name is Nita, short for Juanita.  I just figured out about 2 weeks ago that I needed to be on puter to post. I can't post from the nookcolor. I have never owned any ereaders before so am very lost on most things. I can buy a book and read it. I don't understand Lend me, can travel through some web pages, or at least part of them. What else do I need to learn?

You should read through both of these threads:

Welcome to new HSN owners and tips for New Users

Loading Library Books and Books from Other Vendors with Adobe Digital Editions

:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

@melouria

I'm not sceered!  :smileywink:

Don't know how I missed this post....yet, I did.  Of course, you are not sceered to post your pic....you are gorgeous, girl!!!  Watch out though...you know Phoneboy is using this site to pick up women!  :smileysurprised::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
khfbornholm
0 Kudos

My name is Kevin, and I am addicted to books. I've been lurking here since about March, mostly trying to follow news about the update. My wife and I both got NCs in November, pre-ordering them based on research into the Kindle and Nook. These are our first ereaders, and we love them. We live in Redmond, WA, and I do not work for Microsoft, but I do work in high tech (Cisco networking, Sun servers, security software). My wife teaches junior high math, and is a National Board Certified teacher. She's basically to busy to read or post here, so I represent us both. We've got six adult kids, and 5 grandkids, who are way more fun than the kids were at the same ages. We have not rooted, and are trying to be patient about the update. I have an HTC G2 smartphone (following a treo 650 and an HTC G1), and really like the android OS, so we bought in anticipation that the NC would also be an adequate tablet, without the monthly service charge of the iPad. I've also been converting some documents and older books that I have access to in pdf format to epub using Calibre and Sigil. I'm still pretty new at that, so not all that helpful. My reading interests are pretty broad. I'm really into American history right now, along with science fiction, religious history in general, western American fiction, plus just about anything else that I run across. Some of my favorite authors are Brandon Sanderson, Wallace Stegner, Orson Scott Card, Cormac McCarthy, David Weber, Umberto Eco. I'm also a budding amateur historian, with my first peer reviewed publication out about a month and a half ago, and I occasionally blog at a Mormon history blog. The discussions here have been fun to watch, and I'v e thrown in a couple of comments here and there. Nice to meet you all.
Inspired Contributor
KenW
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, Ken W here

Wanted an eBook reader and was going to get my NOOKcolor for Fathers Day when I fell victim to HSN's sales pitch and their flexpay deal, at the$299 price. I love my Nook and the ease of buying my books through it. The problem is, it is just too easy to just push that little green button when I see a book that interests me. Live and work in Portland, and hope to retire in the next couple of years and stay out of trouble with the wife. Waiting for spring to get here in the Pacific Northwest and the ground to dry out around here. Enough already with the rain its time to get a little warmer weather and sunshine. Mostly just read the posts on the board but will throw my two cents into the fray every once in a while. That's the short version of my life, will see all of you around the boards. 

Frequent Contributor
BlackInk155
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourselves!

robErob wrote:
Wow congrats man! I never see other 20somethings who work in the same field. Kudos on your new spark for reading!

w00t! :smileyhappy:

nook: (nʊk) noun- a secluded or sheltered place; retreat
What better way to describe my Nook?
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourselves!

BlackInk155 wrote:

Hi All,

My name is Greg and I too am a Nookaholic. I am a 20-something, hospice social worker, cancer survivor, tech/gadget junkie, living in the Mile High City.

Also, I must confess that I have never been a fan of reading. *ducks a tomato* I mean, I like reading and enjoy good stories, but I just never took the time to read. So, my friends thought me a bit mad when i bought an ereader. I truly got the NC so that I would not spend twice as much on an iPad. However, purchasing my NC has sparked a love of reading. Since getting my NC about a month ago I have read more books than I did all of last year.

So glad that I took the plunge into the world that is Nook and if the update ever comes they may never be able to pry my Nook out of my hands.

Had to give a Laurel to anyone who works with  Hospice!!  Welcome.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Frequent Contributor
ncsplendor

[ Edited ]

Hi all!,

I received the original nook as a 28th birthday present in October and loved it. After a few months it would not stop rebooting itself. I took it to my b&n an upgraded to the NC in January and shortly after learned of the pending app market and U who shall not be named. I have been a loyal b&n customer since before I can remember. I inherited the love of reading from my Dad & hope to pass that on to all three of my little girls, all 6 and under.

So I have been a lurker on this forum for a while and one day while scouring all the threads for more info about rooting and the update etc. I thought to my self " what the hell...why not?! I'm on FB for goodness sakes", not in that exact wording of course. So.... Here I am... Oh, by the way my name is Nalani and live a stones throw from the nations capitol.

I love all things well written, music, most art forms, photography ( have a nikon D90 that I still don't know what to do with. I need to take a class! I envy my mother for her knowledge), good cooking, great movies ( sometimes even the cheesy ones :0)) great friends( those are one in a million!) my children, my hubby( and all his sports that he must see or participate in Every year:smileymad:) & this forum obviously!

This seems to be the the only place that I have come across that is friendly other sites are a bit up tight and look down on those who are not tech savvy. 

thank you to all of you regulars who keep this going and help all of us newbies with or redundant questions and problems. Hopefully one day I will be considered one of "THE GUYS".....even if I am a chick!:smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Feh5
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I am new here too. My name is Alex...short for Alexandra. I have been lurking here since around Feb. and just starting posting this week. I got my nook for Christmas. I have always been a reader and absolutely LOVE my NC. I am a special education teacher and I eat lunch everyday in the library with the librarians. Our only rule for lunch conversation is we talk about our own kids and books. I have read some amazing books over the last couple of years.

Since getting my NC, I have given up my twice a week Starbucks habit and use that money to get books for my NC. Every month I get myself a $25 dollar gift card and spend the month looking for nook deals. Its so fun!

I am fascinated by the update frenzy. I had no clue about it at all until the HSN announcement. I honestly don't care, I wanted the NC for a reader. But it will be fun once it gets updated.

Looking forward to meeting and chatting with you all.

Inspired Contributor
Badmamajama
0 Kudos

Hello Y'all! I'm from the scorching great state of confusion, er, Arizona where it's HOT, HOT, Hot!

I retired from the Air Force with 241/2 years of service. Been through 3 wars and came back unscathed, well sort of. I think there might just be sumpthin wrong upstairs maybe huh? LOLL.

Anyways, after the war, I worked for Motorola as a maintenance tech, TDK R & D Corporation ans a process Tech, and now finally employed after 2 1/2 years of being unemployed, I work at Advanced Green Innovations - AGI for short, as an Equipment Engineer.

I received my NC this past Christmas, so I am just getting to learn all the great things this psudo Ipad can do.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ramblings of the Engineer, Easycool
Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax
0 Kudos

@NookonErik,

Hey, I am with you brother, nothing but Mr. Brass around my house (do you remember those F1 days? I still have a few of those bodies laying around)

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Inspired Correspondent
KrissyMarie516
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Kristina.  I live in Florida and I am a voracious reader.  Just by chance stumbled on the boards here to get information and tips for my NookColor.  Seems like I found the right place.  I have had my NookColor since November and had the Nook 3G/WiFi previously (NookColor was too tempting).

If loving my NookTablet is a crime, I will gladly do the time :0)
Correspondent
Wylene
0 Kudos

Hi my nickname is Wylene named after my grandmother, real name Lisa. I was Born in CO., now live in PA. Love it in PA. but sometimes I miss the rocky mountains.

My boyfriend got me my NC for Christmas.....with the help of some hints by me :smileywink: and I am sure it is one of the best gifts I have received.

The small town I live in is not real tech. savvy. So when people see me out with my NC they act like I must work for IBM or something. :smileyhappy: So I have turned a lot of people on to this wonderful e-reader or should I say soon to be tablet.

I also lurked on these boards to gather information on an e-reader, and now I can't stay away.

Thanks for having me. :smileyhappy:

Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax
0 Kudos

@Badmamjama, I work with a bunck of folks from the 45th space wing at ITT.  They were launching Titan IVs out of VB.

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

My name is Myrtis and yes I am postal. I live on a farm in North Carolina. Love my dogs and horses and yes my husband. I craft, oil paint, and am a gaget-a-holic. Had my NC since early March. I tried out two other taIblets and sent them back to HSN. I bought my NC from Walmart and love it. I rooted with sd card but use my NC stock most of the time. I surf web, read books and mags, and just love listening to you guys and gals. I post just a little. I love my NC as is but I am really looking forward to update. Want all to know that DVDcatylist is very helpful.

Oh and I want my capachino sugarfree. 

Frequent Contributor
Lady_Mousie
0 Kudos

I've been lurking here since I heard about the Nook Color. My name is Mousie and I live in Perth in Western Australia.  I was researching ereaders so my husband could buy me one for my birthday.  The ones available in Australia are pretty limited and once I saw thwe NC, I had to have one.  After finding B&N wouldn't send to Australia I ordered one through a website that buys things in the US and sends them to Australia.  I coincided with B&N running out of stock in January and it took 8 weeks to get here! The wait was terrible.

I finally got it and love it.  I come here almost daily - sometimes more, but I haven't posted a great deal.

Nice to meet you all

Mousie

Reader 4
jennmarie78
0 Kudos

Hi   My name is Jennifer.  I just got my nookcolor 2 weeks ago but have been lurking much longer while researching what ereader I wanted.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos
Contributor
travel2carib
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone!

I'm Linda, and live in NW Indiana on the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan. I love travel, reading, gardening, music, and surfing the web.

Owned a full service travel agency specializing in Caribbean travel for approximately 15 years. After so many ups and downs in the economy, decided to conduct business from home. I now run an online booking only site, have several travel blogs - and have become a Twitter addict:smileyhappy:

My first E-reader tablet was the Entourage Edge. It's a bit bulky, but seemed to have everything I needed in a tablet/E-reader. Boy was I wrong! After loading my "life" on the device, it was a wonder - but within weeks nothing but freezing and rebooting - no choice but to return it. Frankly, it tries to do too many things with an older Android version, and not enough memory.

Then received an Ipod touch for Christmas - and it became my fav device, however it obviously sucks for reading books. 

Aside from "wants", what I really "need" is a decent tablet/E-reader with Wifi, and enough memory for iTunes music, pictures, documents, ability to take notes on the fly, and LOTS of books and magazines.   

I stopped in B&N recently to purchase a magazine and have coffee. After playing around with NC, was sold on the price - and knew the update would meet my needs. After update, NC is running fast and smooth.

Happy Nooker with a little Ipod Touch companion