Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
mister-j
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor Update 1.1.0 is here!

Just did a download.  Put it in the root directory, not in any folder.  Just a minute or so after I put it to sleep it began to install.  Only took a  couple of minutes to install and reboot.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

Has the sensitivity issue on the right side of the screen been fixed?

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Yes, both sides are much better.
Reader 2
Wasserman
0 Kudos

Sorry to bother you again but I am having issues.  I did as posted and pressed the sleep button and put the NC to sleep.  I waited five minutes witrh the screen black but nothing happened.  Am I doing something wrong?  I renamed the Zip, could that be an issue?

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief

[ Edited ]

Wasserman wrote:

Sorry to bother you again but I am having issues.  I did as posted and pressed the sleep button and put the NC to sleep.  I waited five minutes witrh the screen black but nothing happened.  Am I doing something wrong?  I renamed the Zip, could that be an issue?

Yes, that probably is it.  Just move the file over as is (without renaming) and put the nook to sleep and it should do its thing.  You aren't bothering anyone- we are all here to help each other.  :smileyhappy:

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

The update will not work unless it is named exactly Sideload_update.zip.  Do not rename it, do not extract it, don't do anything but download it and drag it over to your NC.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Nookiesue
0 Kudos

Sorry guys, but I'm having a duhhhh moment. Could someone please point out where to find the root directory exactly?? Sorry for my stupidity. You guys are just great! Soooooo helpful. Thank you in advance. :smileyhappy:

Nallia
0 Kudos

When you connect your NC to your computer and double click on the NC drive the first directory to open is your root directory.  It's where all of the other files live.  Just paste it right in there without opening any other folders.

Contributor
Nookiesue
0 Kudos

Well that's what I thought, but nothing happens when I put it into sleep mode. I did a drag & drop under the other files there. Safely disconnected usb & put it into sleep mode. No update. Did I mess up? Help! Any suggestions would be appreciated. :smileysad:

Nallia
0 Kudos

As long as the file has the right name you may just have to let it sleep.  Do you have a LOST file in there?  I had some trouble getting the update to go until I deleted that.  I don't know why it was there, but it wasn't there until I updated to 1.0.1.

Contributor
Nookiesue
0 Kudos

Yes. There is a file named LOST.Dir. What is that and is it important? So should I just delete it & see if it updates then? My Nook has been in sleep mode for quit some time with no luck. Thank you.

Contributor
Nookiesue
0 Kudos

Hey! I thought maybe the zip file might be corrupt so I deleted it & downloaded it again form B&N. TA-DA!!!! It went this time. Yippeeee! I am now one happy camper. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. Have a nice Nook evening..... :smileyvery-happy:

Nallia
0 Kudos

Nookiesue wrote:

Yes. There is a file named LOST.Dir. What is that and is it important? So should I just delete it & see if it updates then? My Nook has been in sleep mode for quit some time with no luck. Thank you.

Yes, you can delete it.  Also, check the size of the file you downloaded.  Some people aren't getting the complete file and have to delete it from their computers and download it again.  It is 165.52 MB.

Scribe
03FLHT2

Nillia,  One other thing could be causing problem is if they have the oginal 1.01 Update in the dl folder it will rename the new one with a (2).  They need to move the 1.01 to another folder or rename the it to .old and then delete the (2) from the current Update.  Then they should be good to go.

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Just received the 1.10 update via WiFi...I'll have to try out the improvements.

Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

The volume meter has changed I think. Mine use to be a solid bar, now it's like a series of 10 squares.

I don't care, just an observation I fumbled across by accidentally hitting the volume button.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

Sideloaded just fine for me. Everyone make sure you have the full file an do not modify it in any form before puttng it on your nook. I was hoping the update would improve my home network conection, unfortunately it didn't. Pinch to zoom is nice, but over all a pretty minor update.
Inspired Contributor
MsAmberRocks

Magazines now have a bookmark feature! Check out the top right of the screen there is a small triangle where you can bookmark the page.

(I noticed this in regular mode not landscape however, I assume the same would be true for that mode as well!)

Also, please be patient for the next upgrade. We are first gen owners and if we wanted a product perfect out of the box we could have waited 6-9 months to buy and all the kinks were worked out. I would rather have a complete update vs. a rushed one that brings more bugs. I am happy they are releasing minor URGENT updates. Anything that improves funcitons like volume, connectivity, and touch and zoom (helps keep product in line w/ other features)- these things are more urgent and its nice to get a quick update from B&N as their way of telling us they are prioritizing and not rushing on other things.

I'm sorry so many are impatient but we did buy an E reading device... so lets go read while we wait for the "big" update. Q1 does not end until march and I can read a ton of books between now and then- I'm sure you could too!

Contributor
SeaReader4
0 Kudos

How did you know of the update via wifi? Is there an obvious notification or did you search for a file or other method? Thanks.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

orb9220 wrote:

And is this the main upgrade meal we were told about for jan.?

Or is this just a cracker to appease us while waiting for major improvements?

And will we have to wait another 3 months before seeing major upgrades?

What is this another 3 months you're referring to?  It hasn't been 3 months since the last update (1.0.1).

- Mark