Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor Update 1.1.0 is here!

withfeeling wrote:

We've already discussed bathroom reading, so I assume steamy reads are obviously for the shower.:smileysurprised:

:smileyvery-happy:

Or cold ones afterwards.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Triggerone wrote:

I spent some time yesterday working on my .pdb file issue.......

Can now read most of my .pdb files from Fictionwise and ereader sites on NC.  And most of the covers came over as well.....very cool......loving this more and more......

still wanting the android marketplace (shelfish on my part but too bad).  Think it's a terrific reader and will be a terrific tablet if we get access to marketplace!

I was reading in bed last night - and showed husband a utube and the weather for the week via the web connect.  He was very impressed.....maybe I'll get him one for his birthday......he has been resistant to ereaders - likes to hold the book and loan books to friends.  I know we have the lend feature, but it's still not the same.

how did you get pdbs to work?

Inspired Contributor
Triggerone

You can download some tools that work with Calibre.  It's basically a plug in for calibre that  you can customize with the unlock code (name and cc info).  Once you've customized it, then you have to delete the pdb's from calibre and re-load them.  Calibre loads them as a generic file and you convert them to epub using calibre.  Once they are in epub format, you can load to your NC.

I am not home right now - or would otherwise paste in the instructions I copied.  Once I get home tomorrow, I will do so.  It was not difficult - just time consuming.  But since I had around 400 books in the pdb format, it was worth a few hours of my time......

In the mean time, google alf + dark reverser.  go to the main blog and look for "ebook formats - drm and you - a guide for the perplexed". 

Not all converted - but I haven't spent any additional time working on it.  I suspect I can figure it out if I play with it a bit.  The vast majority did.....

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Triggerone wrote:

You can download some tools that work with Calibre.  It's basically a plug in for calibre that  you can customize with the unlock code (name and cc info).  Once you've customized it, then you have to delete the pdb's from calibre and re-load them.  Calibre loads them as a generic file and you convert them to epub using calibre.  Once they are in epub format, you can load to your NC.

I am not home right now - or would otherwise paste in the instructions I copied.  Once I get home tomorrow, I will do so.  It was not difficult - just time consuming.  But since I had around 400 books in the pdb format, it was worth a few hours of my time......

In the mean time, google alf + dark reverser.  go to the main blog and look for "ebook formats - drm and you - a guide for the perplexed". 

Not all converted - but I haven't spent any additional time working on it.  I suspect I can figure it out if I play with it a bit.  The vast majority did.....

Thanks, I have about 15 pdb books that I bought from fictionwise that I want to read!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

@Jenniisme - if they are DRM-ed, the procedure Triggerone followed is technically not legal.