Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lab2
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor Update Problems

I have downloaded version 1.2 onto my Nookcolor but when I go to About You NOOKcolor to confirm, the version it still reads 1.1.  Is there a step I'm missing after the download?

Contributor
nookwormGT
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor Update Problems

You are supposed to wait a few minutes and your NC will go into sleep mode, then re-boot and then upload the update.
Reader
legnax74
0 Kudos

i did as it says also...then let it go to safe mode and nothing seems to happen...i even waited an hour and still shows old version.  I tried all over again and now been waiting 10 minutes since it fell asleep...am i supposed to wake it up and do something or does it do it by itself?

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

This "Software Update" video might help.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/support/index.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=35607

Be sure to follow the instructions on the B&N Update page exactly.

Correspondent
Bella_Reader
0 Kudos

Same thing happened to me. I downloaded the update onto my computer, plugged in my nc, dragged the file on the nc and waited about a half hour with nada.

Turns out I was accidentally putting it on the sd card... and from what I've seen on these boards I'm not the only one. Make sure to take out your sd card (should you have one) before dropping the file onto your nc. 

Reader
legnax74
0 Kudos

yes, i've watched the video...everything step by step just like shown twice...but nothing happens after i safely remove the nook from the computer...it just goes to sleep and stays that way. 

Reader
legnax74
0 Kudos

thought the same thing after i did it the first time...so i removed it and the same thing happened the second time around. ???

New User
lab2
0 Kudos

The download is listed in My Library under My Downloads.  How do I upload it? 

Contributor
tammylh
0 Kudos

me too, i'm having the same problem! :smileysad:

i did the steps twice and still nothing.  saw the video twice.  no sd card either so maybe later this week or tomorrow morning after we let it rest overnight, ha ha.

currently reading 'the girl who played with fire'
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Do NOT 'safely remove'. Right click on the Nookcolor icon and choose "EJECT" from the list. 'Safely remove' is not the same thing.

Also make sure you are dropping the update .zip file on the Nookcolor icon and not the icon for the SD card. There is an icon for it even if you do not have an SD card installed.

The Nookcolor icon folder has other files in it. The SD card usually only has folders in it if it is newly added or nothing if you don't have a card installed.

Reader
legnax74
0 Kudos

sounds like a plan...frustrated already...we both need to sleep...nook and I that is :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Do not click on the nook drive and expand its' folders. Drag and drop it right on to the drive.

Also I read on another thread some folks had to save it right to the nook as opposed to the desk top.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

New User
momos1
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem.  Following instructions exactly, but Nook is not updating.  The file is indeed there.  I have no sd card, so that's not a factor for me.  What gives?

New User
lab2
0 Kudos

I did not manually update - I just clicked on the link "Upgrade Now" from my NC while on the web.  I can see the file in my "downloads" folder in the library.  Should I start over and if so can I remove the current file from my "downloads" folder?  Very frustrating.

Contributor
tammylh
0 Kudos

i wonder if the problem has to do with the older version of firefox?? i saw somewhere on the board that people were able to upgrade fine with firefox 4.0. i'm still using 3.6 and dont want to upgrade it on my home mac since i don't like the way it look.  maybe i'll try it at work tomorrow since firefox on my work pc is 4.0. just a thought...

currently reading 'the girl who played with fire'
Contributor
cherryblossomMP
0 Kudos

I can see the file under Media. It's just a red question mark on a white background and underneath it says nookcolor....te(1).zip

How do I get it to work?

If I just leave it, will it still do the automatic update? I should have left it alone. But I was too excited!

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

lab2 wrote:

I did not manually update - I just clicked on the link "Upgrade Now" from my NC while on the web.  I can see the file in my "downloads" folder in the library.  Should I start over and if so can I remove the current file from my "downloads" folder?  Very frustrating.

I do not think you can do it that way, it has to be sideload from your computer or downloaded OTA.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Reader
Browneyedbrunette
0 Kudos

Me too, same issue...same question.

New User
candiland74
0 Kudos

I had the same issue. Try a reboot. The update started installing as soon as it started booting back up. Hope this helps!

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

If you are having problems with the update try the following:

Some people have issues with dragging and droping and things can get mixed up sometimes, so to avoid any issues we are going to use two instances of Windows explorer with copy and paste.

1. Download the upgrade file to a location on you PC, if you don't know where the file will go open the download tool in your browser it till tell you where that file is.  We are NOT downloading to the desktop,  if you still don't know where the upgrade file is,  then download this niffty utility "Everything" a super fast file search utility.  Search for "nookcolor_1_2_update.zip"  minus "" marks, Everything uses partial word searches so nookcolor should be enough to find the update file.

If you know where the file is using Windows Explorer navigate to the file, highlight the file and right click > copy.   If using Everything once it locates the file also rightl click > copy

2. Now hook your NC to the PC via USB.  You will get a pop up

Click "Open folder to view files".  DO NOT click on anything else in the new instance of windows explorer.   You should see the following (mine has some new apps) folders, and possibly a couple of files, this is the root, this is where you paste the Update file.

Paste the update file.

3. Now disconnect the NC using the USB device eject tool in windows.

4. Do nothing to the NC, it will time out and start the update process on its own

5. Once you see the new OS installing wait until it reboots, then pull the big N to open as usual,

next there will be a tiny green 'n' icon in lower left press that.

You are done go to settings and check your version of OS