Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor at a Pawn Shop?

I was reading on another Discussion Board where someone bought a Kindle DX for $135.00 at a pawn shop.

Question:  If you did not own a NOOKcolor but saw one at a pawn shop for $135.00, would you consider purchasing it?

My answer is NO.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor at a Pawn Shop?

If it powered up okay and had the charger and cable, sure.  I'd buy a working NC for half-price any day of the week.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Correspondent
rerose1975
0 Kudos

Yep, for that price I would.  Just like previous poster said... if it looked like it worked.  I'd give it to my 7 yo!  LOL

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

No. Something like that is worth getting brand new. I would want to know I was the first & only user. You don't know what the person who had it before you put it through while they had it. JMO

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Frequent Contributor
Rictur
0 Kudos

I'd check it out...make sure it's sound and snatch it up if it was.  Reset to Factory and BAM good as new.  Although Grinchy makes a very good point.

Distinguished Correspondent
dgiznya
0 Kudos

Grinchy1 wrote:

No. Something like that is worth getting brand new. I would want to know I was the first & only user. You don't know what the person who had it before you put it through while they had it. JMO

Yeah,  They may have read it while on the toilet.  (See toilet thread)

Ehwwwwww!

DG

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

I probably wouldn't buy any electronics from a pawn shop. Guns and Mr. T jewelry? Yes. Electronics? No.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Agree with the check it out and buy it if it works.

May have been gift and the person wanted cash so they pawned it.

I have purchased guitar amps and stereo equip often from pawn shops. Only had 1 complete fail. The rest worked great at 1/2 the cost

I would def make sure it didnt smell funny..

JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

CasperAZ wrote:

I was reading on another Discussion Board where someone bought a Kindle DX for $135.00 at a pawn shop.

Question:  If you did not own a NOOKcolor but saw one at a pawn shop for $135.00, would you consider purchasing it?

My answer is NO.

Why not?   As usual, you bring up weird "stuff"...

Pawn shops are required to clear all merchandise with the local police before they can offer it for sale.    They are required to record who brought it in (and their ID), date, time, etc.

In Colorado, where I was a cop for 26 years, pawn shops had to hold the device for 3 days after they submitted the paperwork to the PD.   We had  a whole 'detail' (several detectives and clerks) who processed these "gold slips" on a daily basis to check for stolen merchandise.

You're more likely to find stolen merchandise on eBay than you are at most pawn shops.

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

There is a back door on a pawn shop for a reason.  Most times, the back door is a way to leave the store at night but for some shady pawn shops, the back door serves as a purpose to receive stolen merchandise.  Also, some of the shady pawn shops set up an off-site location where thieves know about it and will bring recently burglarized items to get money.  The Police Chief of Prince George's County in Maryland, Roberto Hylton, was the source of this information.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

....  The Police Chief of Prince George's County in Maryland, Roberto Hylton, was the source of this information.

PG County says it all...  Unfortunaltely they are known for their high crime rate.  I've got a friend that grew up there and most of his family are police officers for PG County...

Inspired Contributor
Zxybabydoll
0 Kudos

I would, but that is with a few conditions and a good (for me) reason... if it loooked like it was 'gently used' AND it powered on easily AND it didn't smell bad, I would buy it, I am all for the idea of having a backup Nook Color handy 'Just In Case'. As other posters have stated, I also can NOT go without my NC!!! So having one at home if I ever left one at work or whatever would be Priceless!
Reader 2
MitchRAGE
0 Kudos

Remove the back cover check the water dmg identifier on the battery compartment. check for full functionality, and pay the good pawn clerk the cash and get out before he realizes what he just did! If by some strange circumstance it does fail and reset to factory doesnt correct. Take it back to the brick and Mortar and exchange it they are so knew they wont even question that they didnt sell it to ya! Oh yeah register that sucker while its working :-)

When all else fails, Get a bigger HAMMER!!!!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's gonna take you a while to get to the water damage disc on an NC.  :smileywink:

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/nookcolor-teardown/487636

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
Imadanefan
0 Kudos

I already own one but if it was all there in perfect working condition I would take it. I'd take two for that price one for a backup and one to sell to someone on ebay or something. I was watching prices there and you could go to the store and buy one cheaper.
New User
jhoyer
0 Kudos

Mitch, I really hope you're just being sarcastic. You realize that these "newbies" read the forums, right? I'll be sure to get a message across to everyone about the shady talks going on. Good luck. We actually call in every nook that comes back for return or exchange without the proper paperwork. We can tell who bought it, where it was bought, and when. It's a little more sophisticated than you might think.