Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: NOOKcolor v1.0.1 Minor Update Available

Are you trying to download directly fron Nookcolr?
Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

after you update to 1.0.1 and the next time you hook your nookcolor to your PC (via the USB cable), look in the LOST.DIR directory on the nook "drive" and see if there's not a 160 meg file sitting there as residue from this update.  that 160 meg file is taking up storage space and really shouldn't be there as a result of the update.  i want to delete it but so far tech support is clueless about it....

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Frequent Contributor
768MPH
0 Kudos

Strange thing, my NC got the 1.0.1 update Christmas morning as soon as I turned it on!

Guess Santa wanted to make sure I was a good boy! :smileywink:

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Mr. Pink
Frequent Contributor
HipHopSays
0 Kudos

...it updated by wifi on my NC....but unfortunately my functionality has been buggier then with the previous iteration (ie: wifi cuts on and off intermitently, sometimes books hang while downloading, etc). is there away to reject an update ... or to 'downgrade' to a previous firmware version?

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

FWIW, my 1.0.1 update finally came through last night just as I was trying to sleep my NC.  (I bought my NC a little over a week ago.)  It took about 3 minutes or so to download via WiFi and another few minutes to install.  I don't see any leftover files in LOST.DIR as some have reported after doing a manual load.  Everything seems to be working OK now.

Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

Hi,

• How does the automatic update get schedule?  Read some speculation that it's not really a push from the BN.com to the numerous Nooks, but a pull, w/ the NC checking periodically (?once a week?) for any updates.
  • Has anyone gotten an automatic update in less than one week since powering-on-for-the-first-time their NC?

--bye

Contributor
Runamuck
0 Kudos

I side-loaded it and upgraded manually within 10 minutes of removing it from the box.  Why keep waiting for an automatic DL when its so easy to do it yourself?

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've had my Nook Color since Wednesday, 29 December, and no update so far. When this does become available to me, will it always be there waiting to be installed? Or is it necessary to have my Nook's Wi-Fi turned on during specific times of the day/night to receive the update?

Contributor
JANDJNOOK2
0 Kudos

i DID THE MANUAL UPDATE (NOT YELLING, LOW VISION) AND THE ZIP FILE WOULD NOT DOWNLOAD AND SAID IT WAS CORRUPT.

SORRY TO SOUND IGNORANT, HOWEVER; WE JUST BOUGHT TWO NOOK COLOR READERS AND ARE HAVING A LOT OF DIFFICULTIES.  DESPITE BEING VERY COMPUTER SAVVY.

CAN SOMEONE GIVE US STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO DOWNLOAD THIS 1.0.1 UPDATE.

THANKS,

JANDJ

Frequent Contributor
William-Wilson
0 Kudos

I kept waiting for minr to update automatically. Finally I gave up and did the update via sideload. Worked Great! I probably will do sideloads in the future.
Happiness is a choice.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Initial turn-on and registration:  Dec-25

Automatic firmware upgrade: Jan-2

Yes, everyone knows you can do the upgrade manually.  Some of us just wanted to see if the upgrade would occur transparently.  :smileytongue:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
New User
abu-1
0 Kudos

I need some help.  I've downloaded the update zip file and don't know where to put it.  I've just dropped in onto the NookColor drive on my desk top and nothing happens.  Does the file need to be put into one of the specific folders on the NookColor drive in order for the manual update to occur?

Contributor
sophie01
0 Kudos

Sorry to cause much ado about not much, but what is the update?

Frequent Contributor
JamieB63
0 Kudos

I got my NC for Christmas and have been waiting to see the upgrade come thru via WiFi, , still nothing.....  what's up ?  I thought it should occur seemlessly?

thanks.

Contributor
Runamuck

abu-1 wrote:

I need some help.  I've downloaded the update zip file and don't know where to put it.  I've just dropped in onto the NookColor drive on my desk top and nothing happens.  Does the file need to be put into one of the specific folders on the NookColor drive in order for the manual update to occur?

The instructions are pretty explicit on the official B&N Nook Color software update page, but I'll give you the short version:

1) Download the software update file for 1.0.1

2) Do NOT do ANYTHING to that file.  Its a ZIP file.  Leave it alone.  Once its downloaded, connect your NC via USB cable and wait for your computer to recognize it as a "drive."

3) Using Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac), pull up two windows, one showing the NC and the other showing wherever you downloaded the file to on your local PC.  Make sure for the NC that you are at the ROOT directory, meaning not inside one of the various sub-folders.

4) Drag that ZIP file you downloaded over to the Nook and drop it inside the ROOT directory...NOT one of the sub-folders.

5) Eject your Nook.  Your work is now done.

It won't apply the update immediately.  It may take a few minutes for the NC to even recognize that there is an update there to be applied.  It took mine about 20 minutes and a couple of on-sleep-back on again cycles.  But it will eventually find it and apply it.

Repeat: Leave the file you download alone, don't unzip it.  Make sure you put it into the NC's ROOT directory, not one of the other sub-folders.  It won't work otherwise.  And make sure you download the correct update package....there's a 1.5 software update floating around out there for the plain Nook, you need the 1.0.1 update package for the Nook Color.  You can get all the details, including the file, from this link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/?cds2Pid=35607

Contributor
bchbmz
0 Kudos

Thanks! this worked perfectly.

Contributor
BekkaF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I got my new NookColor Wednesday, new router, connected, and voila. No problems. I owned a Nook Classic for a bit over a year, so have sideloaded updates without any hitch in the past. Ok, I haven't received the update notice since I got this thing up and running Wednesday. Decided to download from the site and side load as per B&N directions. Followed directions to a T. Dragged the folder still zipped from desktop as per B&N directions into the Media J drive. I checked, it didn't go into a subfolder ; ) But was a folder of its own in the list, still unzipped. I did the eject as per instructions, unhooked the USB after clicking eject. What is really strange is the notification icon on the left side of my NC had an exclamation point next to it, and I thought "what" where's my little green icon???? Ok, that said when i touched the icon it said "damaged SD disk do you want to reformat. Can loose files if you reformat". I choose not to do so. Haven't seen this posted any where? I decided to delete the file from the Media drive, and power off the NC to get back to normal. It did go back to normal, warning notification/exclaimation mark is gone from the status bar. I questioned for myself for a while. I just figured it wasn't installed since I didn't see it listed under specs during research previously and I would buy that as an option later. Yet seeing that notification had me rethinking what I thought I remembered. I do realize there is no SD disc installed on a new NC. And more than likely if I chose to reformate I would not have lost anything, but why take the chance until I know for sure. So now I'm wondering do I need to buy the SD disk & install it to take full advantage of any updates?  And yes, I have the correct update for the colornook.

Contributor
BekkaF
0 Kudos

I just tried manually to side load the update again. This time it worked seamlessly and is at this very moment installing on my NC. Yeaaaaaaa, its done. I got the notification I just got a new update, and the updated version is showing in my settings. I don't understand why it didn't take last night? The only thing different is after I unsuccessfully tried to update and put this thought a way for a while is.... I changed the screen time while reading last night to 5 minutes, because due to interruptions my NC kept falling asleep. I wanted to keep the screen awake longer. But I wouldn't think that would be necessary to install an update.

Frequent Contributor
cutterjohn
0 Kudos

I ended up doing the update manually as well.  Purchase NC #1 on 12/30, returned 12/31(defective USB and "wonderful" customer service experience), #2 had WiFi on quite a bit of the time from from 12/31 - 1/3 evening no update notices popped.  So, I was getting tired of wasting extra batt power on WiFi and just ended up sideloadinf the update.  Trial #1 == failed.  Trial #2 == success (re-download update, but I don't beleive that that was the problem -- see below).

The problem, I believe is that I did not let it sit and digest the sideloaded update long enough after loading it the first time.  I just went and power-cycled the first time, while the second I let it sit for a few minutes as both archives checked out OK on the notebook.

Kind of disappointed in the OTA updating as on my Viewsonic gTablet stock firmware updates pop as seemingly as soon as they're available, AND there's an update app that allows you to force a firmware check and initiate the update sequence, which B&N would be advised to implement on the NC as well.  (I run a custom fw (TnT lite 3.1.4) on my gTab as the early stock versions of the stock fw were buggy, and the new ones while more stable don't incorporate all of the nVidia performance improvements and hence result in lower bench scores. Interestingly though, they added Angry Birds to the stock fw, which I MIGHT go back to using some day if they ever get it into what I consider to be a good enough & open enough state and they keep updating it.)

Inspired Correspondent
3reddogs3
0 Kudos

I got my NC on 12/28 and as of last night (Jan 7) I still hadn't received my 1.01 update.  (In all fairness, I usually leave WiFi off to save battery power unless I want to do a sync.)  Today at about 11 a.m. I decided to enable WiFi, close the cover and just let my NC nap on the coffee table.  (He sleeps better with his cover closed :-)  Lo and behold, the update happened at 1:05 p.m.   In testing things, the only unusual occurrence is that when I turned WiFi off and then turned it back on I had to re-enter my WiFi password.  Another off/on resulted in him connecting without my having to enter the password.   Everything else seems fine.  (I need to stop doing sighs of relief -- one should have been enough.) 

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one (Andy Rooney)