Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Caffeine247
0 Kudos

Need a Better Book Manager on NC

I use Calibre to categorize my over 1,200 book library and as we all know, it's an absolutely incredible piece of software (and folks, click that red heart if you love 'em!).

However, when I transfer my books to my NC, we all also know what happens: a hugemongous jumble of noncategorized, disorganized, piled one-upon-another books.

Since my NC will be one (gasp!!) in a few weeks, I'm not averse to changing around the OS somehow, but I'm hoping someone might be able to push me in the right direction. I'm comfortable with following well-written directions, prefer them in fact to YouTube tutorials, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for thus far.

Needs:

-- better organization method; those shelves just don't cut it for my collection

Wants: 

-- access to Android market

-- ability to read Kindle books (presumably through Kindle for Android app)

-- Bluetooth capability to add in a small keyboard perhaps 

-- tethering -- I haven't even looked into this, but if someone could figure out a way to tether I'd be in seventh heaven

I use my NC occasionally for a quick lookup on the 'net, but would find it so much more useful to me if I had an actual keyboard rather than the on-screen.

So, friends, WWYD in my shoes? Educate me, please! TIA.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Need a Better Book Manager on NC

[ Edited ]

I use fbreader + fbsync on all my android devices to read and synch my reading position across all of my books, regardless of vendor. 

This (currently) requires that any android device I read on is rooted, as fbsync requires root access.  So it works on most of what is out there but it's worth looking on XDA before you buy a new device :smileyhappy:

One thing I like about fbsync is that one of the default views of your library sorts your books into alphabetical 'bins' by title - that is, it can show you all books whose titles start with A, then all with B, etc.  You can also bin by author, or by tag, or by series. 

None of those sorts require manually building shelves, but they do need tags applies for series and of course for tagging,  I have not seen this in Aldiko, and I have not tried in Moon +.  There is an app for Aldiko called Aldiko Sync, which will sync reading across devices and also requires root, so if the sorting is available in Aldiko, then sync is also possible (again, root required for now.) 

In order for this to work with books with purchased from BN or Amazon, you need to be ready to manage your own digital rights, rather than trusting third parties to do it for you.  There are plugins for addressing this in Calibre, and I have a walkthrough on setting them up at http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/09/information-security-and-digital-rights.html  Once you have set them up, putting everything you own into epub format for the ereader of your choice is trivial.  (It's actually

As far as your other requirements - bluetooth primarily - take a look at making a cm7 disk.  Find posts from Taosoar and look at his signature block - he has lots of good cm7 information, including an excellent guide to making a CM7 disk and booting from it, which is at http://taosaur.blogspot.com/2011/09/running-cyanogenmod-7-from-sd-nook.html

If you can do without bluetooth, you can make a disk that lets you open up root on your Nook Color and keep your access to the interface you already know.  Since you're not booting from this disk normally, it means you can still swap sd cards as you need to.   Any programs you might have bought from Barnes and Noble will still be available - one downside to CM7 is that while you are running it, you mostly can't use programs bought from BN.  (There's at least one exception:  I used Titanium to back up Epicurious before testing the update problem many folks were reporting.  I confirmed that it was a problem, then restored Epicurious from my backup.  It is now treated on my NC as if it were a regular app from the Market, except that the Market can't update it.  But it can also be restored in a CM7 environment and runs fine.  This may be true of other apps as well.) 

My guide to rooting (three sections;  assuming you're on Nook OS 1.2 or 1.3, you want the third section) is at http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html 

Either approach gives you the full Android marketplace, and reading Kindle books on the Nook Color via proper configuration of Calibre is available now to anyone who wants it, in the stock reader without rooting, or in another reader of their choosing with rooting.  The stock reader doesn't manage positions in sideloaded books, though - another plus for fbreader and sync. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
Caffeine247
0 Kudos

Oooh, thank you! I found your blog just yesterday & sub'ed via RSS but didn't dare hope that you'd answer me here! :smileyvery-happy:

This is *exactly* what I was hoping for. Now to go learn.

Thank you again!

Inspired Contributor
Caffeine247
0 Kudos

My apologies. *Just* realized I neglected to give a laurel. Remedied that. :smileyhappy:

Many thanks again!

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Glad roustabout answered most of your questions.

About tethering, the only way I know of that works is having a phone that can also function as a mobile hotspot. I did that for the first month or two, but the cost ($20.month with Verizon) wasn't really worth it for me since there are plenty of wifi spots around when I really need one. But if you find you are often in a situation where you need it - that's probably your best (and maybe only) option.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx