Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
BrownskinsCD
0 Kudos

Need good advice to prolong life of Nook Color

I have been a silent ereader for quite a while now and have not had any problems with my N1E and Nook Color.  I do appreciate the BN community board for the help it has provided me whenever I had questions.  I haven't raised any questions, since most have been asked before.

My NC is about 9 months old now and I haven't had any problems with it, but I am bracing myself for possible problems that may start to show up at this time (9 months going forward). 

Question:  From those of you who have had problems with your NC or had to use warranty for replacement, what problems did you encounter?  What advice can you give to prolong the life of my NC so that it outlives my 1 year warranty period. 

Why I ask this question:  I do not have extended warranty hence my anxiety in wanting to protect my device.  I plan to gift this to my kid should the NC2 come out for real this next quarter.

Thank you in advance for the helpful and productive tips!

Inspired Contributor
bchau

Re: Need good advice to prolong life of Nook Color

I have an anti-glare screen cover to protect and to enhance the screen reading. A case to protect the NC. Apart from that, I haven't done anything special.

I am wondering if there is any tip to prolong the battery life as all battery eventually will deteriorate over time.Andthe battery is not user replaceable. Should we charge it to full 100% everytime? Should we let it discharge completely everytime?

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH

With most types of battery, "shallow cycles" are better than "deep cycles," which is to say avoid letting the charge drop below about 60%.  Too bad the connector sticks out of the bottom, making it awkward to use while connected, because using while connected should maximize battery life.  I often use a stack of cushions to support it in such a manner that nothing is touching the charger cable.  It is also important to be very very careful to align the connector when plugging and unplugging because that connector is rather fragile.  B&N added extra leads to the USB cable in order to deliver twice the charging current possible with a standard USB cable.

Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle

Re: the battery.  Did some research awhile ago on the lithium-polymer battery used in the Nook Color.  "Expert" opinions and data varied somewhat.  One of the repeated advices was that the battery is happiest being charged in the 20 - 80% range.  That means charge it at 20% an stop charging at 80%.  Tried this for awhile and found it a bit inconvenient, so now mostly charge it at about 20% but go up to about 90 - 100%.  Have been using my sweet lady for about 10 months and still is working nicely.  Haven't noticed any significant decline in battery life.

Don't use the NC in place of your rubber duck in the tub.  Probably shouldn't replace it for your frisby.  Never use it to level a chair, especially if it's in sleep mode.  And above all, don't use it as a cushion - both of you could get hurt.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

None of us know what will happen to the battery. We don't even know when the battery will start to fail or if we can have it replaced. I assume we will find out soon when the One year warranties start expiring.
Inspired Contributor
BrownskinsCD
0 Kudos

Yes, I do take care of my NC, in a good case, charged carefully and battery-cycled appropriately.  My questions/thoughts are: (1) Is the NC also prone to virus which could slow down its processing? (2) What is the optimal use of its memory - what # of GBs should I keep free at all time to maintain its current speed?  I actually find my NC to be a very sturdy unit at 9 mo old - just wondering what problems tend to show up in its later life...  Thanks for all who've shared so far!  I laureled y'all.

Wordsmith
Serendip

No one can really guess what will happen further down the line, they haven't been out even a year. From what I see on the boards, it seems when they fail, they fail somewhat quickly.

The charging cords are a whole other thing, they don't last long at all. I've never bent or twisted or abused mine, and it had to be replaced. Hopefully newer batches are better constructed.

Though I do this anyway, because of how "sensitive" the USB port is I always gently and carefully connect the cord to the NC, and then the plug to the wall. I just have this feeling if something fails, it is likely to be that port. If I were using the sd card, I'd be careful with swapping and inserting that, too. 

I'm hoping mine lasts a long time, too. I would much rather WANT a new one, than find myself needing to replace it. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I have never had an issue with the cord. I bought my nook color right after Christmas. It goes right into the nook color and charges quickly.
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

Just be careful about charging it and using it at the same time. Many people, (my wife's nook included, but not mine) will act crazy when the charger is plugged in. Hers turns multiple pages if her finger goes near the screen, and scrolls like mad.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Chocolate...my nookcolor loves chocolate...a happy nook is a healthy nook ;0)

FWIW: I actually use our nookcolor(s) plugged in and charging all the time...usually for web browsing or movies viewed in landscape (meaning the cord is not stressed because it comes out the side in that aspect). I do use it plugged in for reading quite a bit, but am careful of placement, usually using a pillow. We have yet to have issues with the two NCs and their charging cords...no excessive heat in any element, no cracks nor creaks...lucky we didn't get any from the BAD BATCH that is out there somewhere.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
New User
SAMA3731
0 Kudos

Good luck!

I  have used my NOOK Color for 9 months and absolutely love it except for the fact that you CANNOT replace the battery.  Now I have a device that has a battery life of around 4 hours (no wi-fi) and when that gets to 2 hours or less than I have a throw-away $250 device :smileysad:

I contacted B&N to buy a replacement battery.  Since it is less than 1 year old, I was told to contact the warranty department.  What a nightmare!  1 hour and 15 minutes later, I was told "how to conserve battery life, how to ensure it was charging (when the usb light change to green. Duh!), take it down to my local B&N store for them to look at, and NO B&N does not repair the NOOK Color (or have authorized service). 

After an hour and 15 minutes, conversation with 2 reps and  2 emails, I now have a 'certified pre-owned" replacement NOOK color. There is No extended warranty on this replacement NOOK Color.  So when it dies, you are on your own to find  a knowledgeable person to open the back and try to fix it or replace the battery or kiss $250 good-bye!

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67

BrownskinsCD wrote:

Yes, I do take care of my NC, in a good case, charged carefully and battery-cycled appropriately.  My questions/thoughts are: (1) Is the NC also prone to virus which could slow down its processing? (2) What is the optimal use of its memory - what # of GBs should I keep free at all time to maintain its current speed?  I actually find my NC to be a very sturdy unit at 9 mo old - just wondering what problems tend to show up in its later life...  Thanks for all who've shared so far!  I laureled y'all.

There is no need to worry about either of those things. There is no such thing as a Nook virus and Android does a good job of handling memory all by itself. We don't need to interfere at all. 

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

SAMA3731 wrote:

Good luck!

I  have used my NOOK Color for 9 months and absolutely love it except for the fact that you CANNOT replace the battery.  Now I have a device that has a battery life of around 4 hours (no wi-fi) and when that gets to 2 hours or less than I have a throw-away $250 device :smileysad:

It sounds like you damaged the battery somehow, either by exposing to to extreme temps (hot or cold) or letting the batttery drain completely too many times. I haven't seen any other complaints of rapidly diminishing battery life. 

Inspired Contributor
BrownskinsCD
0 Kudos

Concluded: Need good advice to prolong life of Nook Color

Thank you to all who responded with good advice.

Recap:

* Keep in a good case.

* Trouble spot may be the charging port, so plug in micro usb carefully.

* Battery life is unknown but call customer support if its life is severely shortened before the warranty period expires.

* After one year, anything goes.  At $20 ($249/12) to $25 ($249/10) per month, the investment would have been worth it.  Keep as an ereader, when all specs as a browser/pseudo-tablet is no longer at par with the market.  My/your kids will continue to have may months/years of reading pleasure.

FWIW, the NookColor seems to be more sturdy than the eInk ones because of its glass screen.  I love my N1E as well, but it is definitely more fragile than the NC.

Again, thanks to all suggestions and hopefully this thread will be useful to future owners of both NC and the next derivative.