Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
terriable
0 Kudos

Re: New CyanogenMod Stable Release: CM7.1

I have cm7 7.0.3 on boot sd card and trying to update to7.1 I dragged the zip file to my boot card and then hit reboot and it just gos to my regular  android screen then i tried install from sd card and it reboots then just starts up normally by the way im using nook 1.2 have not updated could that be the problem

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

wbm3 wrote:
I am running dual boot mode (I want to continue to do so). I'm trying to update to 7.1. So I put the updated image on the boot partition with the new google apps zip. I boot to SD and 'alternate' and the penguin shows upand it says it's successfully updating to 7.1. However; when I reboot to SD and 'normal', the screen with the android dude on the skateboard comes up and the blue arrow just keeps turning. It has been "locked" in this screen for 10 min. So what am I missing? Thanks

It can take that long to rebuild cache and start up after an update; I would let it be for a good 20 minutes before panicking and assuming it won't boot. However, it sounds like you may have been running an out-of-date version of the SASD installer itself. The update file is near the bottom of the OP here. You could also wipe the card with SD Formatter and make a fresh install of the current version, 1.3 (no relation to B&N's version numbers!). There's a simpler breakdown of the instructions for a fresh SD install linked in my sig.

Just ignore all talk of cache-wiping and CWR, as they do not pertain to your situation.

Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

Can someone point me to a site that explains in layman's terms how to do what? I mean a *really simple* explanation. I followed the youtube instructions from CrashTechDummies and got my NC to cm7. But for some reason my wifi turned off and I can't get it back on again (tried *everything*). It works in regular NC mode, but not cm7, so I want to upgrade to 7.1 stable. I need a site (not the one listed above that is way too technical) that explains step by step, with links to files, that will help me install 7.1 to my SD card. Again, I reiterate, it has to be in layman's terms. Thank you.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

jlhatch wrote:

Can someone point me to a site that explains in layman's terms how to do what?

These instructions apply only to cards prepared using verygreen's SASD method. Most blogs and youtube videos use this method, but if you cannot confirm for yourself what method/files you used, stop modifying your gadgets.

1. Download the update for the installer/bootloader: http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/update-genimage-1.3.zip
  2. Download the CM7.1 zip: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/get/update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip
  3. Download latest gapps (not required, but a good idea): http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
  4. Remove the SD from your NC and plug it into your computer
  5. Move the first two files to the SD card (you will only see a 100MB-ish partition; that's where they go). If both won't fit, do the installer update first.
  6. Confirm that the files are still .zip format (some people accidentally unzip them due to their PC settings)
  7. Return the card to the NC and boot into the SD's alt partition (the installer): "hold nook N key and then press and hold power until the "Loading..." message appears and then disappears with screen going blank. Release power button, then press it again and hold for ~5 seconds, the bootloader "Loading..." message should be on the screen for three seconds or so before you release power button, keep holding N button until screen blanks again. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long"
  8. The installer will automatically install the package(s).
  9. Repeat steps 4-7 for the remaining files.
Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

I modified my NC using the CrashTechDummies' method via YouTube and their list of files. I guess it wasn't the veryGreen method, because your instructions didn't work for me. Anyone else out there with help in updating to 7.1 on an SD card (16 gig) that dual-boots and doesn't void the NC's warranty?

Contributor
wbm3
0 Kudos

taosaur,

mucho thanks!  Don't know what i was doing wrong, but after using your super easy method, CM7.1 uploaded fine.  Now, one last question.  I want the dual boot option.  Can I just replace the current u-boot

file in the boot drive with the old 'multi-boot' file I was using or is there an update to this as well.

i still want the prompt of selecting between emmc and sd.

thanks again for all your help.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

wbm3 wrote:

taosaur,

mucho thanks!  Don't know what i was doing wrong, but after using your super easy method, CM7.1 uploaded fine.  Now, one last question.  I want the dual boot option.  Can I just replace the current u-boot

file in the boot drive with the old 'multi-boot' file I was using or is there an update to this as well.

i still want the prompt of selecting between emmc and sd.

thanks again for all your help.

Look again--a new boot menu is built into CM7.1. I never used j4mm3r's multiboot, which is probably what you had before, but I think they're pretty similar. I think the hardkey shortcut for getting into the internal/stock system is to hold vol + and vol - at the same time as soon as you see anything on-screen at boot. If that doesn't work, hold 'n' at boot to get to the full menu.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

jlhatch wrote:

I modified my NC using the CrashTechDummies' method via YouTube and their list of files. I guess it wasn't the veryGreen method, because your instructions didn't work for me. Anyone else out there with help in updating to 7.1 on an SD card (16 gig) that dual-boots and doesn't void the NC's warranty?

I just had a look at their written instructions (didn't watch the 20 min video) and, wow, they made a lot of unnecessary work for everyone who used their method. I also noticed them giving blatantly wrong advice on SD cards in the uploader comments. I would not even try to update that card. Use Titanium Backup to do a batch backup of all your apps, save the Titanium Backup folder to your PC, then wipe the card and build a new one using the SASD method. The SD install link in my sig is a more step-by-step breakdown of the original thread, or you can click through to verygreen's original thread from there. 

If you have trouble formatting the SD, google SD Formatter. If you still have trouble, get EASEUS partition manager (or MiniTool if you still have it) and delete all partitions except sdcard, stretch that one to take up all remaining space, then run SD Formatter again. Standard formatting in Windows almost definitely won't work.

New User
angelsamongus
0 Kudos

I am pretty illiterate about all this "booting" stuff. To what benefit is this? I don't want to void my warranty for sure, as I got the extended.

Trying to learn a little about all this.  Thanks for any info. :smileywink:

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

angelsamongus: I am pretty illiterate about all this "booting" stuff. To what benefit is this? I don't want to void my warranty for sure, as I got the extended.

Trying to learn a little about all this.  Thanks for any info. :smileywink:

The benefit is being able to use your NC as a regular 7" android tablet.

Some owners enjoy playing around with the NC's internal coding so they do what's called "rooting" their device. That voids the warranty. Others enjoy the programming experience but don't want to void their warranty so they play around with programming a microSD card that turns the NC into a regular tablet. Still others want the android tablet experience but don't want to void their warranty nor make their own card so they buy one that's already preprogrammed and use it. (Using microSD cards don't void the warranty since nothing on the device itself is changed.) Does that help any?

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

You can purchase this SD card, which has been installed with a version if android operating system that allows you to turn your nook color into a full android tablet with access to all android apps: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00533V56M/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1319440880&sr=8-1 This includes the kindle app (so you can read kindle books as well), Netflix app for streaming, dropbox, and basically all apps you can get on an android tablet...
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Watch this video review of the Preinstakked n2a SD card to get an idea of what they are talking about here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLJD9lrrWCM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

angelsamongus wrote:

I am pretty illiterate about all this "booting" stuff. To what benefit is this? I don't want to void my warranty for sure, as I got the extended.

Trying to learn a little about all this.  Thanks for any info. :smileywink:

Look over the first two links in my sig, and if it still seems daunting, consider whether n2a seems worth to money to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

Thanks all. Does the release have the app market fix for installed apps update? The LCD screen density issue.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Pete, it does, although recent nightly builds have had random force-closes with the Market. Haven't had that happen on today's build though.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

Is that what that is? I thought I was doing something wrong..lol.. Thanks Richard.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Reader 2
Dr_L
0 Kudos

CraigAZ wrote:

NOOKappsfan wrote:

How do you update if you are already running and earlier version of CM7 through a Micro SD? Do you just put the update file on the card and boot into recovery?  Will it wipe your existing data?

With my dual boot SD card, I just put the new file (and new gapps file) in the boot section of the SD card and booted into Alternate Mode. It seems that Recovery Mode is what works for a lot of folks but it may be that some dual boots like mine need to go to Alternate Mode. You defintely need to boot into something other than Normal Mode. Once it's loaded, it behaves just like your first run with your earlier CM7; i.e., be patient as the first run takes a while, etc.

My existing apps and data remained. Nothing was lost during my update that I've noticed so far. Things went surprisingly well. The only issue if updating the CM7 and gapps file is that the boot partition of the SD card may be just a bit shy of space for both files depending on what other info is there beforehand. I deleted some Pulse data files and a pdf file to make room for the new CM7 and gapps.

I tried this today and it didn't work quite the way it is described here.

I set the dual boot to boot from the SD card and in "alternate" mode.  This did not work.  The display hung at "booting now..." and didn't change for 20 min.

I powered off the NC, and I restarted it.  I selected to boot from the SD card, but this time I chose "recovery".  This worked!.

Also the upgrade trashed the dual boot bin, and so I just readded it to the boot directory (after changing the current boot.bin to boot.bak).  This also worked!!

By the way, the new gapps file would not fit when I added the upgrade file, and so I just added it to the boot directory after I upgraded.  This also worked.

YMMV.

Thanks to all who have contributed...

Frequent Contributor
BrookieNookie
0 Kudos

My husband's refurb NC came in yesterday, and using these instructions

http://forums.androidcentral.com/barnes-noble-nook-color/105519-how-download-run-cm7-off-sd-card-eas...

we had it done in less than half an hour, and works GREAT! You do have to register with Android Central to see the links, but it was so plain English and easy.

And yes, CM7.1 has a dual boot option built in. You hold the "n" down while booting up, and can choose eMMC or SD. Again, SUPER easy! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep picked up my Nook Color Wed. and followed these instructions and was easy peasy.

And yep as mentioned nice to have dual boot back to Original Nook or CM7.

The other is when plugging into a computer CM7 Nook won't be reconized. No problem hit the little android guy with up arrow. Know as Notification message and first entry allows you to turn on Usb mode for transferring files and such. Just be sure to turn it back off. As some apps need in default non-usb mode to work properly. Also if one is using the computer to recharge overnight like me. You will notice the screen will come on when you plugged it in. And a quick jab of power button will turn it off. Watch out tho occassionally it will come back on. But usually repeating turning it off sticks. If you use a cover then make sure screen is off or won't charge overnight with screen On.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/