Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOKcolors not rootable?

I once had a bad tooth and the root canal therapy failed.

So I guess I could say that root canal does not work just pull the tooth.

So far, it is only ONE NC, it can not even be verified that the OP is telling the truth or doing it right.

Give it time, don't panic.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I don't see any panicking in this thread, just some people interested to see if anything comes out of this.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
ridgrnr

B&N may try, but IMHO it's impossible to prevent rooting. Just look at Apple! But what is telling if they are indeed trying, that means they've thrown in the towel as far as their app store goes. The only reason I can see for B&N to take this step is if they know the app store will continue to be so lame they can not possibly hope to ever compete in an open market.

Correspondent
mogulman

It is still early so who knows what cleaver hackers can do.  However, I am not surprised by this at all.  B&N is certainly not making a reasonable profit on the sale of NCs.  They expect to make money on the sale of books, magazines and apps.  A rooted NC is not driving sales of books & magazines.  Actually, I am surprised they made it so easy initially.  I still think a Samsung Galaxy Tab Wifi is a better value as a general purpose tablet.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Anyone know what the profit margin is on one of these bad boys? Also, how many of you rooters would not have gotten the nc if it could not be rooted? And lastly, how many rooters still buy nookbooks from time to time?

I dont have the slightest clue what any of those answers would be, but I'd make a blind wager that b&n makes more of a profit selling rootable NCs.

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

Chuck4Prez- interesting question, I for one specifically got the NC to root it. I was looking for a viable alternative to having 3 separate devices, my iPod Touch, my Kindle, and a Tablet. The rooted NC fit the bill nicely, and has done just that for me. So I would probably have not purchased it if not for the option of rooting it. I would assume others also fit into this catagory, but how many, who knows?

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I looked at this a while ago and parts cost is around $180.  You need to add manufacturing, packaging, shipping, warranty and advertising costs.  Then add a reasonable profit and the NC should cost about $300 or more.  If they are making a profit it is not much.  Any tablet company would be out of business selling the NC.  I know you may not believe this but the Apple iPad is considered to be aggressively priced.  That is why tablet companies with similar quality tablets are having a problem competing on price.

Nallia
0 Kudos

The OP in that thread was updated to say this:

***Edit as of 9:09 PM EST... We have confirmed that another "46" has rooted... Looks like my bud just has a partially broken NC, so move along....

Woot!

Correspondent
retiefBD
0 Kudos

So, let us assume that at some point in the future, we now know it is not today, that BN figures out how to make the base OS "non-rootable", meaning the option to boot from the SD card at all is gone from the internal.  There are ways to mount the internal, and you can then replace u-boot.bin with one of the other dual-boot versions.  If somehow BN figures out how to get past this, simply take the back off your Nook, Google for the take down instructions, and replace the internal SD card with one of your liking.

As to the cost workup that is earlier in this thread that came to a parts cost of $180, I'd like to know how you arrived at that figure, and what economies of scale you assumed.  It is certainly possible that BN sells the Nook Color as a loss leader assuming that book sales make up the difference, this could be why eBooks cost what they do.  This is quite common now with ink jet and laser jet printers, the profit is made off the consumables.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

retiefBD wrote:

If somehow BN figures out how to get past this, simply take the back off your Nook, Google for the take down instructions, and replace the internal SD card with one of your liking.

Ah, not so much.  The internal memory is not on a card, but permanently mounted to the PCB...

SDIN4C1-8

It could very well be a BGA surface-mount part, since there don't appear to be any thru-holes and there are components directly on the other side of the PCB.  So no hobbyists are going to be pulling this off.

You may be thinking of the original Nook, since it had two internal microSDcard slots.

- Mark

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

If it DOES happen, I guess the complaints about the "CPO" NCs will stop... they'll (likely) still be rootable!! :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

As far as the $180 cost I arrived at it using a iPad teardown cost analysis I found on the web.  My estimate is approximate.  Their cost for the iPad wifi model is ~220.  The 220 is consistent with a 499 selling price.  I subtracted items and adjusted items like the battery.  We know Apple squeezes suppliers and B&N does not have this leverage so I added a percentage back in.  I did this in December so it may have changed since then.  I saw some company selling this analysis.  I do not know what their estimate is.

Frequent Contributor
Judy54JR
0 Kudos

but this is only a sample cookbook and with only 6 pages doesn't help us cooks out very much

Nallia
0 Kudos

I just had a colander-worthy thought--what if the NC that wouldn't boot from the SD card is one of the ones with the new partition and the one with a similar SN that did is one of the ones without the new partition?

Just a crazy thought that just popped into my head.  lol

Inspired Contributor
drmom73
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure after reading the xda thread that the unbootable nook did have the new partition and the 1.2 preloaded.  I have no idea about the one that was able to boot from usd.

Brooke